Usergroups
summoner
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Jebu

summoner

hi guys,

I'm thinking of creating a new class called the summoner... a magic user type, with specialization in summoning spells... sort of like the necromancer from diablo2
anyway, I'm currently playing the game as a warrior with restoration spell skill and its getting quite boring...
so has anybody used morrowind's summoning spells much? would it be interesting to create and role play such a character? what do u guys think?
Post Thu May 30, 2002 6:07 am

Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Conjuration is one of the coolest schools of magic there is, You should definately make a summoner as there is a Summon X spell for nearly everything (and you could use the TESCS to make the ones that aren't)

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Thu May 30, 2002 6:15 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i think that would be great. currently i am horsing around with a character that uses summoning spells on occation. my only complaint is the short duration of these spells (usually 60 seconds). if you try to create your own summon spells they become too costly...ie the longer you extend a creatures existence in the world the more mana its going to cost; no mana=nothing to summon creatures with. this in turn means having to constantly rest or gulp down potions (since i chose the atronach as my sign my mage is a potion addict, and it is turning into a costly habit!). the other problem with a summoner is that you can only have one creature summoned at a time. so, if i summon a skeleton and then a bonelord...poof...no more skeleton. this effectively destroyers the possibility of having a viable summoner class.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:06 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by txiabxyooj
the other problem with a summoner is that you can only have one creature summoned at a time. so, if i summon a skeleton and then a bonelord...poof...no more skeleton. this effectively destroyers the possibility of having a viable summoner class.

This made me think... What if you had an item/scroll that had multiple summonings on it? What would happen? Hmm... time to learn TES CS... I'll let you know what comes out.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:54 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

good question: check it out & let me know what happens.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:58 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

i have a fighter who has conjuration magic. Its great, before each fight i will summon something, a skeleton, a monster, something uber, and i will have a helping hand in the fight. A second person makes things SOOOOO much easier.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Thu May 30, 2002 6:10 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I made a Ring of Skeletal Armies that had 2 Summon Skeleton spells on it, one for 60 secs one for 40 secs, set to cast on use. When I picked it up in the game and used it, it summoned both skeletons fine. When I resummoned them few seconds later, the original 2 skeletons were unsummoned along with one of the new ones, so I ended up with only one skeleton. Any sub-sequent resummoning worked fine. Their expiration times were correct as well (the 40 sec one disappeared before the 60 sec one). If you attack one of them, they will both attack you back.

--Edit--
If they turn hostile to you, you can resummon a new pair. The hostile pair will be unsummoned and the new pair will not be hostile any more. This can be useful for Atronacht sign summoners, as they can summon magical creatures and have them turn hostile until they recharge their magicka. Then resummon to kill the hostile creature.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 6:28 pm
Jebu

hmm, I still haven't created my summoner yet, but I didn't know that u can only summon one creature at one time.. that sucks
anyway, if anybody knows how to summon more than 1 creature post it here
I'll give the summoner a try this weekend...
Post Fri May 31, 2002 8:18 am

Summoner class

Having played 'Summoner' the game this sounds like a great idea. Might be tricky to balance though.
Some things you may wish to bear in mind (pls excuse my ignorance of terms as I'm still awaiting the game)...
1) Can summoning be a skill/ability that grows as its used?
2) Start off with the ability to summon a lesser creature and get better ones as you grow experienced.
3) Maybe still only be able to summon one creature but have it stick around until it dies (balance with high mana use)
4) At higher levels be able to summon one higher creature OR several lower
creatures (depending on what skills/powers they have and your situation it may be better to have say 2 lower ranged creatures than one better melee creature).

goes back to work...
Post Fri May 31, 2002 9:14 am

Rhys

Funny you should mention

My character is a strong conjurer, built with the idea of being a summoner-type. However, as the game has progressed it has been MUCH more advantageous to make use of the summoned armor (and weapons, to an extent) than the summoned creatures.

The are three major problems with relying on summoned creatures

First, they actually do die quickly in the early game. My poor ancestral ghost wasn't worth much, and even when I upgraded a few times my pets would still die swiftly and I would have to take a hand in the combats. When you take a hand, the critters invariably bash on you and not the pet, which means they are basically doing additional damage--damage you can easily do yourself with a bound weapon.

Second, many of the upgraded monsters have AOE effects. If you choose the Atronach birthsight, this might be a fantastic deal. If you chose any other birth sign, you could be in for a bad experience. Try summoning a storm atronach when you're in a tight spot and you'll see exactly what I mean (actually, stormy *has* been handy on occasion).

Third--and this is the clincher--you have no control over the pets. You must summon, attract the attention of a bad guy, and let it hit you before your pet will go running to the rescue. Except in the case of ranged opponents, this means you're already in combat range anyway--may as well summon armor and weapon and do some bashing.

I haven't used summoned critters in quite some time except for the occasional dremora lord (and once or twice, the storm atronach). Not that they aren't kinda interesting, but they just don't work as effectively as I'd like.

-->Rhys
Post Fri May 31, 2002 12:59 pm

txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i have to update my earlier post. yesterday when i was playing i tried summoning more than one creature at a time...and guess what: you can have more than one summoned but it has to be a different type of creature. i don't know why my system wouldn't let me do this before, but now the summon thing seems much more attractive.
Post Fri May 31, 2002 5:21 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by txiabxyooj
you can have more than one summoned but it has to be a different type of creature.

It has to be a different type of a spell. Any one summoning spell, when invoked, first cancels its previous effect. This means that when you recast summon skeleton, the first skeleton is canceled and a new one is formed. As I posted above, you can custom make items/spells with multiple of the same summoning (I tried enchanting with 2 summon skeleton effects).
Post Fri May 31, 2002 7:42 pm
Jebu

hmm, finally had a chance to try out the my 'summoner' last weekend, as Rhys had mentioned previously, my cool flame atronach just killed me... with his AOE spells. Haha, that was definitely very very irritating.
Oh well, but the bound spells are cool, and if you take advantage of the bound spell bug then you're up to a good start...
oh well, I'll try playing this character for a while longer and see how it goes.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:16 am

i have 5 summon rings
1) summon skeleton
2) summon skeleton
3) summon ancestrial ghost
4) summon greater bonelord
5) summon ancenstrial ghost

before any big fight, i cast all 5 and have all 5 there fighting with me. its really cool and you can have as many summoned mobs as you do items.

if your going to make a summoner class, make quests for them that give them items that summon mobs, this way you can have armies fighting with you.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:22 am

If you are going to be a summoner you need to use your pets in a smart way. They are there to help NOT hinder.

DO NOT summon area effect pets (example: fire atronach) in closed spaces (small caverns, houses, hallways). I like to use bonelords or hungers in closed spaces. If I hear a noise I scout ahead real quite like. If I see something I can't handle I'll ready myself to summon a greater bonewalker, go forward, and if attacked then while I back up FAST (I have no shame) I'll summon the greater bonewalker (between me and my attacker). And if my pet can't handle it I'll start to summon more: a bonelord, a skelaton minnion, or a hunger, etc.

The area effect pets are great for outdoors where you have room to RUN away from the bad guy and the loving touch of your pet. Let your pets take most of the damage (that's what they are for). When you think it is safe then you can get in a swipe or two (need to keep up your short blade or blunt weapon skills)

And last: If you know beyond all resonable doubt that you are going into a very bad place that has a lot of bad things in it, summon as many pets has you possible can, there is no such thing as overkill (remember, only one of each). Mana, rings, and amulets do you no good if you are dead. Use it all before it's gone forever (or until you bring back your most recent savegame ).
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next