The subguilds of Gothic II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The subguilds of Gothic II

The Thieves Guild, the Bandits, the Pirates... with the sole exception of the Circle of Water, all the subguilds of Gothic II walks hand-in-hand with the Mercenary class. How can any Paladin or Fire Magician justify being part of any of these? As a roleplayer *and* powergamer, I hate the fact that I must pick pockets to gain all the possible experience for my Paladins and Fire Magicians.

For Gothic III I hope we see subguilds appropriate to all classes, like an order of healers, undead hunters or some other samaritan-like guild for the Paladins.
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:58 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

why is the circle of water an exception?? it would be strange if a fire mage would serve the water mages and paladins fight only for innos, they dont care much of adanos
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:54 pm
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by kriksa
why is the circle of water an exception?? it would be strange if a fire mage would serve the water mages and paladins fight only for innos, they dont care much of adanos

? Read what I said about it again - I don't think that the Circle of Water is a suitable guild for the Mercenary class. I agree that it doesn't fit with the paladin and fire magician classes either though.

quote:
The Thieves Guild, the Bandits, the Pirates... with the sole exception of the Circle of Water, all the subguilds of Gothic II walks hand-in-hand with the Mercenary class
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:07 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

sry, my bad, but now i dont understand why it doesnt suit the mercs??
Post Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:10 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You know, the world isn't black and white only, so the stuffy Fire Magician that you are playing, or the 'holier-then-thou' paladin can be more flexible as well This isn't D&D, where the rules are set in stone and cannot play around them. The main char owes no allegiance or anything to any 'real' guild in that game, or to any god. He does/uses what means are available to get past the mail goal. In G1, he wanted to get out of the colony and he didn't like the Old Camp way - these guys were content with what they had, and didn't care about getting out. Swamp Camp was too cracked for him, so he didn't join them in their "prayers". New Camp idea was solid at first, but later it became apparent, that it wouldn't have worked either. So he went on his own way. If you played mage there (Fire Mage first), then he also at some point, before joining with Water Mages (and later with necromancer) asked, how can he take the oath of Water, since he already gave the oath of Fire. But as Saturas said, he's not breaking any rules, he simply is joining the elements withim himself.

That's also in G2, in general. There are many sides to things, and the char doesn't really owe anything to anyone. He may join paladins because of, what, easier way to the Eye of Innos, because he believes that there has to be law and order, because he gets "nifty armor" and all that, it still doesn't mean that he's now set in "frame" and has to be only the servant of Innos and king. Especially problematic is the king side, because it was the king who had him to be thrown into the Barrier and colony in the first place, without any serious reason (at least, we don't know the reason for now, we'll learn about it in G3, hopefully).

In any case, I didn't see the issue here. Neither did I find any problems with picking the pockets or anything like that If you play the game in detail, i.e. explore everything, you'll get enough XP to have all the skills maxed for your class. You will only need more LP's if you want to get all of the skills up as much as possible. Question is - do you need all of them up? If no, then there's either no need to pick pockets of ordinary people to max the XP. At the same time, picking the pockets of Cornelius for his diary to save Bennet, is that a 'bad' thing? Getting Lehmar's ledger to save other shopkeepers from his bullying? I don't think that in, for example, these cases, picking the pocket for paladin and fire mage would be any worse then knocking the lights out of those 2 just to get these items, or in Cornelius case, threat or pay to him and allow him to leg it out of the city?

And pirates, what's bad with them? Not like you go to rob the ships or whatever, all you do under their flag are couple of tasks in general in their camp and around the camp, thus nothing to what anyone can point their fingers at Basically, your "hardcore" mage and paladin can relax some and not be that hardcore, things are not set in stone in Gothic world like this. And, also, I have played myself paladin and magician so, that I jailed the thieves guild - being the representative of law and all - and all their henchmen, and didn't learn any skills from them, and still had plenty of LP's to get all the skills I needed for my guild/class, thus you should be OK as well and have still enough of XP and LP's even without these guilds
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:56 am
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think that the hero was thrown in the barrier becasuse he killed someone.
Look after you kill bloodwyn:he show with proud his head without any esitation!
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:23 am
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Whailor:
I didn't dare to read the first part of your reply since it looked like it was going to contain spoilers about the storyline of Gothic I - I got it not long ago and haven't completed it in all the ways yet, though I'm working on it.

Stealing Lehmars ledger isn't a lawful thing to do whether you knock him out or pickpocket him - people willingly borrowed money from him, so you'd be stealing his money if you take his ledger.

Cornelius can easily be convinced to give up his diary - you don't need to resort to breaking the law to ge your hands on it.

I'm an oldschool AD&D Paladin - I can't bring myself to not act honorably while playing one. I admit that the role of a mercenary definately fits the nameless hero best, but since we're allowed to make him a paladin or priest of Innos, I wish there would be more righteous alternatives for subguilding. Hearing "I'm a Paladin Pirate" makes my ears bleed.

Oh and Kriksa, I don't think the mercenary fits into the Circle of Water because he's a ruthless fighter, not a Water magician/priest of Adanos.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:09 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

and there comes the next police chief.....
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:01 pm
SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think it would be insanely great to role play as a paladin gone astray from the path of light . . . kinda like Arthas. You could choose to embrace the dark side completely or choose to use the strongest areas of each side and become a servant of power.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:18 am
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I agree with Kriksa that the Water mages are best put with the Mercanerys, they served the Water Mages for theyr own reasons in G1. And in G2 do the Heavy Mercanary Armor have an engraved picture of Adanos on the Chestplate. (Or atleast i think they have)
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:10 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

i agree. merces and water mages have a history togeather
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:01 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by Malgaroth
Whailor:Stealing Lehmars ledger isn't a lawful thing to do whether you knock him out or pickpocket him - people willingly borrowed money from him, so you'd be stealing his money if you take his ledger.

Cornelius can easily be convinced to give up his diary - you don't need to resort to breaking the law to ge your hands on it.

Oh and Kriksa, I don't think the mercenary fits into the Circle of Water because he's a ruthless fighter, not a Water magician/priest of Adanos.

1) Lehmar lends people gold, but asks to pay a day after that with an extra 50% I believe.(don't know the exact number) Now in the real world that isn't tolerated and called 'fraud' or 'hustling'. He asks a way to high percenatage to be legal, so he can hardly be considered as a good man.

2)Stm that fails. Don't know why, but it's better to steal it then, then to pay. It costs simply to much.

3)Already answered by the others.(Play Gothic 1)
NFG member
Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:53 am
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

I agree bartacus
Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:07 am