Installation Problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Installation Problems

Ok... I posted on this board like 2 months ago, I posted about installation problems. Well... I am still having them. I have tried cleaning the cd, ripping the cd with 3 different programs, manually ripping (going through those three programs while telling it when to retry or ignore problems) nothing... I get an error about some CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error when installing the data\_work\video\greatPrayer.bik, the 38% mark on Typical install, 69% on install w/o sound. I am getting desparate. I have emailed Pirahna Bytes, and they said that due to G2 being released they were discontinuing support for G1. Now, has anyone else had this problem? Please reply more than once this time... if anyone wants to, I am willing to meet on an IM and try to DL the file off of them. Also if anyone has a good working ISO of the game, if they dont mind, I am also willing to try to get that from them. You have my gratitude.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Iīll move this thread to a location with more traffic.

Did you try to copy the CDs to your HDD and install from there? Can you skip the .bik file during installation? This is only an unimportant video.

You should also verify that the installation attempts didnīt leave garbage in your registry:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=100206&highlight=&sid=296a88ddca1bbd855ead8dcdbfdf7540#100206
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:41 am
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks Gorath

Thanks for moving this man, hopefully this will get me some answers. As for skipping the file in installation, I am not sure how. It just runs into the CRC error and quits. It used to look for Data4.cab when I still had Win98, but now I am on XP. I also have tried copying the CD to my HD and trying that, but in the middle of copying it says that Data2.cab is not a valid winarchive, as defined in the mid-1998 something or another. I might try going through my registry and getting it through there. But otherwise... I dont know what to do.

I am almost tempted to look in Kazaa, Limewire or Imesh for the ISO's, but I dont want to stoop that low, even though I do own the game already, I feel that it still is a dis-service.
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:30 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

You stated you tryed ripping the cd.. So, how many reading errors were you getting, and in which blocks (were the errors on just single part/spot of the cd)?
Regarding the cd, it might have some deformations on it.. Checked it?
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:15 am
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Assuming you bought it retail, you should be able to swap it for the same game, if there is an actual error on the disc. If you bought it online/by mail, check the store's return policy; if you can take a picture of your box and discs as proof of purchase, some kind soul might send you an ISO of the CD that is damaged, or maybe just the file that's damaged.
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:38 pm
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bleh

Of course I bought this game retail. Warezing games is wrong. Music is another discussion. Let me get some pictures of the CD's and Box.. Just so I can be sure you trust me I can give you a description though, box is red and black, starts solid black line at bottom, goes red, fades to black, 4 characters on cover, one holding an Axe, another a bow, one holding a sword, and a 4th using magic.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You donīt have to prove anything. The way I see it your CD is defective it it will not be replaced.

If you copy all files to your HDD, how big are the corrupted files?
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:15 pm
Kensomnia17
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It would seem that the Data2.cab file is corrupt... I have friend over right now trying to install it. *crosses fingers*

When I try to copy files from cd to hd it gives me an error about the data2.cab or something

My friend just ran into the same problem 38% percent Data2.cab GreatPrayer.bik. Argh. I am going to cry now... I cant return the game cause its been like 8 months, and the store is another state (Gamefix in the Tupelo mall, Mississippi) I live in Ark, and the mall is 284 miles away.

I can only ask if one of would share the CD1 Iso, or files.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:48 pm
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'd be willing to share it with you...PM me and I'll send you the details (I've got an FTP running, so you can get it from there). I didn't mean to sound too paranoid about where you got the game, it's just that I've heard similar requests from people who downloaded the rip version and wanted to add voices or whatnot from the full version. But, from your description of the box and the install process, I can tell you're on the level.
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:42 am
Anaxos
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

me 2

I just bought Gothic this morning, looking forward to an exciting rainy afternoon, but during te installation the file "data4.cab" is asked for, too. It doesent seem to be a single case... and im a bit afraid of downloading a hole ISO of that game I'll complain to the developers anyway.. hope there is an easier solution..

Anaxos
Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:06 pm