Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What do you think about instantanious transport?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

What do you think about instantanious transport?

I read a couple of previews and learned about the only thing that I don't think I'm going to like so far. To travel, all you do is open your map, click on your destination and you're taken there automatically (assuming you've discovered the location already). That seems too convenient to me. I'd prefer having the OPTION of not using it and having something like a silt strider and the mages guild transports. But if there's nothing like that in the final game then I'll have to use it or have to hoof it across country all the time, all sixteen square miles of it.

What do you guys think? Am I the only one who doesn't like this idea?

I'm not complaining mind you. I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion topic, and if it's been discussed already and I missed that particular boat then my appologies.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

It doesn't really bother me. It probably feels like using teleport runes in gothic. Moreover I cannot say that the fast travel options Morrowind were any more immersive than clicking some spot on the map in Oblivion. The result is excatly same. I didn't experience those silt striders rides or boat trips that real anyway.

I belive options for travelling in oblivion are:

1) conventional walking
2) fast travel via map
3) Riding a horse
4) Maybe some teleport magic spells like (mark and recall).
Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:15 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, you had instant travel in all Morrowind-preceding Elder Scrolls RPGs for the PC (Arena and Daggerfall), and IMO it didn't distract from the gaming experience at all. On the contrary - seeing how you had to travel across several realms it was pretty anti-frustrating.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:03 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

My point is that using things like magic spells, ships, silt striders and whatnot is ok because there's an explanation of how you're jumping from point A to point B, ie. you took a silt strider. How do they explain the instant travel in Oblivion? Is it some kind of spell, is it a magic map? It's just a feature of the game which will remind me that it's just a game every time I use it.

I guess most people are cool with it though.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:21 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

That's very true Jaz, Bethesda had the travelling system organised long before Morrowind.
I played Daggerfall for over three years, there was an in-game menu where you typed-in the name of the town, it then calculated the number of days it would take to travel - you could even book into a tavern for a few nights.....press enter and there you were, several days later all cleaned-up in a new town or place, and of course not to be critical - you had to "imagine" that you had travelled.
In the big towns i even had a horse and cart that went 'clippity-clop' through the cobbled streets, all welcomed time saving functions.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Wulf described the travel system of Daggerfall quite well; in Arena, you had no horse and cart in-game, just a horse in the travel menu. There was no explanation for instant travel in Arena - there was no need to: you just went to the travel menu and stated where you wanted to travel, then a little horse-and-rider-animation played (so the game assumed you were travelling on horseback). The travel system then told you how long it had taken you to reach your destination, and if you survived your travels. In Daggerfall, you could choose a certain way of travelling: on foot, on horseback etc. There, the instant travel system WAS optional, but due to the sheer size of the game world it would have taken sevreal real-time hours (and worse) to reach your goal by 'real-time' travel.

Since there were many complaints about the long distances people had to walk in Morrowind, they decided to reactivate the instant travel system for Oblivion - I also guess it will be optional there as well.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:17 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

As long as there will some kind of animation + timeshift expressing that you've traveled for some time, it will be ok with me.
I would also like to have some kind of random encounters/fights possibility during this type of traveling.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:23 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
As long as there will some kind of animation + timeshift expressing that you've traveled for some time, it will be ok with me.
I would also like to have some kind of random encounters/fights possibility during this type of traveling.

Yeah that sounds ok. It shows that you are actually travelling and maybe encountering the dangers on the way rather than just beaming from one spot to another.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:26 am
HoLoPo1nT
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The copy of TES:Arena I picked up back in the mid 90s was used and hadn't come with a manual. It took me a long time just to get it running under Win3.11 on my P75.

I didn't even realize that there was a fast travel system until late in the game...LOL, I used to run from location to location which took forever! I mean, it was cool that Tamriel was contiguous in that way but sheesh...the amount of time I spent wandering around aimlessly...

Anyways, when I finally happened across that neat, fast-travel feature I was thrilled...and sort of embarrassed that I hadn't figured it out previously but hey, CRPGs were very new to me and the Internet was nothing like it is today.

I don't mind the map-based fast travel feature at all...IMHO it doesn't detract from the immersion factor although I didn't mind the boat/silt strider/spell-based travel of Morrowind either.

I like the idea that you have to unlock the locations before using them via the travel map though. It means that you do have to do some sort of mundane travelling to begin with. Guild Wars does this same thing and after the initial time through that game, it really saves a lot of time.

Laters,
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:08 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Definitely a good thing and completely in tune with the series, as others have noted. In the early game, I'm sure most of us will want to explore but towards the end, traipsing back and forth is simply tedious.
Post Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:01 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It doesn't bother me as long as they show the passage of time to indicate that you are traveling and not just snapping your fingers and "Poof" you're there!
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:34 am
Father of Lies
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes, time does pass while you fast travel. It's just there for convenience's sake, you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
In Arena I always used it, the distances between towns where very great and the numbers of beasts you encountered in the wilds staggering. Furthermore many of the side quests had a time limit, so you really didnt have a choice while doing them.
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:31 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm very pleased fast-travel is back - travelling into the darkest depths of Vvardenfell on foot was just a pain. I don't want to have to navigate around the same island chain for the umpteenth time; boring, repetitive tasks are best left for the computer to do for you.

And I'd prefer it if there's no delay at all - if you really want some kind of delay in there, before you click the okay button, hit pause and go make a cup of tea or something
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 am
Imago Storm
Dremora
Dremora

...or go on a short trip to Malta .

No, really, fast travel worked like a charm in the older Elder Scroll games, I'm glad it'll be back.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:41 pm
Roi Danton
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I love any fast-travell methode there is. Why? Because I hate to invest time walking the same path I walked a thousend times before, only because there are important npcs or quest related things or even the best shops arround in two very far away locations. Brr, this is so time consuming and has really nothing to do with gameplay, it just annoys me.
Post Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:47 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next