Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Bioshock - Spiritual Successor of System Shock?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Bioshock - Spiritual Successor of System Shock?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock...ew_6110044.html

quote:
This genetic material can take the form of "plasmids," which are essentially DNA implants that you can inject into your body to grant a wide array of enhanced abilities--including powers that can indirectly help you take advantage of your environment. By implanting the proper plasmids in your body, you may be able to affect your body's resistance to extreme air pressure or extreme temperatures.

This is like biomods in Deus Ex or psychic powers in System Shock

quote:
Like in previous Irrational Games, you may find yourself having to make tough decisions to ration out your equipment in different areas.

I love how Deus Ex forces you to think about what you will carry.

Concept Art...

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard

Last edited by RPG Frog on Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It looks a lot like System Shock with some RtCW sprinkles (but the latter impression may have been caused by the Fraktur -type font on the walls).
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:01 pm
vesselle
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

well, the game is definitely being heralded as the next system shock, by it's makers. and i'm VERY pleased to see many looking glass ex-employees involved with bio-shock, but, for me, it's too early to tell much about it.

however, it's on my list to check back in a couple of years for more updates.

V***V
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:12 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm a big fan of Irrational's, so I can't wait. From System Shock 2 to Freedom Force -- even the latest Tribes, which isn't usually my favoured genre. Very happy to see Ken Levine talking about emergent gameplay (although I hate that phrase).
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:24 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Bioshock is the cover-story of the newest issue of Game Informer. I have not received my issue yet, but it is a FPS RPG like System Shock.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:24 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Here is the cover...

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:05 pm