q about the dex damage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Mihail
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

q about the dex damage

i ve learned much on dexterity and almoust nothing on strenght , level 20 and i have 84 dex and 30 str so i am using master s sword but it seems to be almoust wortless against an orc warior. what should i do to hit harder ? should i put some points in to str or dex . Thank s
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:26 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

What level(s) of sword training do you have?

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:04 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's unclear whether or not a Dex-sword uses strength in the calculation for the damage it does.
For normal weapons the formula for a critical hit is:
Damage per hit = Strength + Weapondamage - Enemy armor

It's obvious to say that a Dex-sword will have:
Damage per hit = Dexterity + Weapondamage - Enemy armor

But in practice it seems you still need strength to increase you damage. You could use the marvin mode to check it. As far as I know nobody has done that before or at least nobody posted the results here.

Now back to your stats:
Mastersword does 120 damage, you have 84 strength and an orc has 150 armor and 300 health, so:
120 + 84 - 150 = 54 damage for a good hit.
So if you have only critical hits (this is the case when you have 100% one-handed) you would still need 6 hits. In that time an orcs can have you killed about three times.

I wouldn't try to kill orcs at that low level, wait for some better armor and more dexterity.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 am
Mihail
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i have 80% one handed but compared whid the same situation with strenght weapons it seems much more dificult . anyway , i ve playd with strenght weapons all the time , so i had to try with dex even if it seems harder. thank s anyway
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:27 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Sem and Mihail,

Others have posted more detailed info on damage, both in this and in the Spoilers forums, but let me sketch out the info as I understand it:

1. ALL hand weapons do damage based on Strength. The formula Sem states is correct, but is for a standard hit, not a critical one. Critical hits are a multiple of the normal hit (I've seen 10X mentioned but I haven't verified it myself).

Therefore, if you have high skill with that weapon type, you get more criticals and can overcome a lack of Strength.

2. The Dex-based hand weapons only use Dex to determine if you can use the weapon or not, not how much damage it does.

3. This also applies to missile weapons. They ALL do damage based on Dex, but crossbows use Strength just to determine if you can use the weapon or not.

4. Even if the weapondamage + strength together can't overcome an opponent's armor, you still do a (very small) amount of "minimum" damage on a hit. That's how an army of goblin skeletons (with sticks) can eventually take down the Black Troll.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:36 am
Mihail
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

tk

thank`s for the info
Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:45 pm