View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rune_74
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Minions of Mirth

Hey there

I'm posting this in CRPG's because the game is both multiplayer and single player. I've been beta testing for two months on this game, and its a great indie game that really needs a strong community support...its one of those games that you really want it to be able to grow and gain a good following since it is well designed and built with love of gaming instead of love of money...

Anyways if you guys wanna check out a great game check out

http://www.prairiegames.com/games.html

Rune
Post Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:55 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

As fellow beta tester, I can only endorse those comments. You can also check out my two part interview with the developer of the game Josh Ritter. The links are on our main News page!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:35 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Wow, that movie is great. Looks like (and sounds like from the interview) a fun game that has some heart and soul put into it, I'll definitely try it out. Gettin the demo ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:34 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What kind of game is it? Somkind of diablosque hack and slash or what?
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:41 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I'm downloading the demo, going to try it out it.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:06 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It's hard to describe - it's sort of a cross between EverQuest and an traditional dungeon-crawling RPG; definitely nothing like Diablo, apart from being fairly combat focussed. Gameplay is similar to most MMOs: you play in 3rd-person (optional 1st-person view), running around a large 3D world. Mobs spawn and can be farmed for XP or there are quests and two story lines (one for the Dark and one for the Light sides). Combat is like an MMO - click to auto-attack and click the toolbar for spells or special attacks as desired.

You can play on Prairie's official persistent server -- in which case it is an MMO, host your own server, or play single-player. SP is the same basic gameplay.

There's some basic crafting, it is highly moddable and the world is fairly interesting to explore. An amazing effort for a small team, although some will want more focus on story/narrative and won't warm to the combat.

We have a two-part interview you can access from the main page on the top-right in the Features box.
Post Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:39 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I havent played it that much, since Im just deluged with titles and demos.
What Ive seen so far I like, it seems as others have said, sort of an Everquest type experience meets Gothic or somthing.

I just finally broke free of the MMORPG grip on me, so I'm not that enthusiastic to get back into that groove at this point. That's the good part of this game tho, you can play it singleplayer as well. That's a big plus, and I sure wish more MMO-makers would incorporate an sp component in their games.

I personally think it has good graphics, though Im sure alot of people would take one look at it and dismiss it right out of hand. To me, more and more it has come to be that "good graphics" are a relative term. For a game of this type, on this type of budget, with this small of a staff, I think theyve done a pretty good job. I'm buying myself it for Xmas ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:24 am
corwin

Glad to hear you like it Sammy!! For the cost, it's heaps better value than DL I paid FULL price for, plus shipping!! I can't understand how Josh can fix bugs and add content so quickly, while DL can't produce a patch in months!!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:24 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

A nice little review of this at GamersInfo.net, one of my fave sites.

http://www.gamersinfo.net/index.php?art/id:850
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:53 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Sound quite interesting, I'm going to check the demo.
Post Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:07 am