Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
DUNGEON SIEGE VS NEVER WINTER NIGHTS . WHATS BETTER?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
AG J_WY

DUNGEON SIEGE VS NEVER WINTER NIGHTS . WHATS BETTER?

hi i just wanted to say that dungeon siege is really fun for me rite now. i always hated rpg games before but for some reason this game felt like the game gauntlet , (which i liked alot). i like how u get to fight alot and stuff. anyways i dont know much about this game never winter nights but i do know that its comin soon and its suppose to be really good. can someone tell me if this game is similar to dungeon siege. mostly, the thing that i want to know is if it has alot of action like ds or do u just run around most of the time and search for clues. ( i hate rpg's like that} so i guess im not a true rpg fan i just like alot of action more than puzzle solving .( although puzzle solving is ok with me just as long as i get to kill alot of things)
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:09 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Neverwinter Nights has not been released yet. Until it is released, it is impossible to compare the two games. With Neverwinter Nights you will be able to create your own adventures. How complex that adventure is will be completely up to the dungeon master.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:18 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Create your own quests?
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:50 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Or download one that someone else creates. Or join a game being run by a DM. Neverwinter Nights is meant for multiplayer. It will have a single player game included, but I've heard that was added as an afterthought mostly.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:54 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Oh, so it's a multiplayer Morrowind?
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:58 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Can't say for sure. I haven't played either game yet, because they have not been released.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:00 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi All

NeverWinter NIghts is one of the three games that are at the top of my "Must Have" list, and have been for ages.

From what I have read about it in work in progress reports and previews I can tell you that:

Sauron: It's not going to be Multi Player Morrowind. It's not a first person style game. It's going to be more like Balders Gate style, but "spinny Rotatey, 3d o-rama etc. It is of course by the Balders Gate people.

Val: I have read that not only is the Single player aspect of the game NOT a tacked on after thought. But it is actually supposed to be bigger in scope than the Balders Gate 2. Of course this might be hype.

Badger

PS Val, it's also supposed to be my birthday present, so don't sell it short or you will make me cry!
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:07 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Single player NWN: Not as big in scope as BGII, but still a big part of the game. They have said a good portion of people plan on buying it just for the single player.

Multiplayer: Graphics similar to Dungeon Siege, perhaps not technically as good. Similar camera movements though. They have designed the multiplayer so that it is as close to table top Dungeons and Dragons as possible with computers and people in separate rooms. It uses the D&D rule set (as conforming as possible), and you can even have a DM who takes control of the monsters, or triggers things as you play. Should be a LOT of fun.

So if you are comparing it to Dungeon Siege, with what we know now: Similar graphics, single player will be more story driven and puzzle oriented. Multiplayer will be more customized with set adventures, such as a dungeon crawl that should take around 3 hours, then you are done. Multiplayer will be as customizeable as you want, so you could make a D&D version of Gauntlet if you wanted.

I enjoy DS quite a bit, but I am even more excited for Never Winter Nights.

-vaticide
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:02 pm

Sounds great Vaticide. And I'm getting it for my Birthday! Huzzah!

Badger.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:17 pm

vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by Anony-Badger
Sounds great Vaticide. And I'm getting it for my Birthday! Huzzah!

Badger.

Well my birthday was yesterday, Huzzah!

-v
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:58 pm
ChinaCat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As one that is thoroughly enjoying Dungeon Siege, I just wanted to add my voice among those that am highly anticipating Neverwinter Nights.

I'm certain Morrowind will be fantastic, but for my own personal gaming style, I prefer games with Mutliplayer features and Morrowind has none.

You really can't compare DS to either Morrowind, or NWN. While they share the letters RPG in the description of type of game, they are so different in many respects as to make comparing them similar to comparing Quake to Everquest.

Like I said, I love Dungeon Siege, but let's face it; the game has a very shallow story, is extremely linear, but is probably the best Hack N' Slash game to date. It's simply a blast taken on its own terms.

Morrowind and NWN are far more robust in character development, and the degree of depth and sophistication in ones ability to become immersed in the story, etc., is on a much higher plane than DS.

NWN will ship with an editor allowing fans to create new worlds and stories. While the number of persons in a multiplayer game will be limited to either 32, or 64 (can't remember off hand), there is a feature that blows me away, where one can include a Portal in the game which goes to other worlds. So for example; say your playing on my server in a world I created. Your party can enter this portal and be transported to another world, on another server, which may be a continuation of my story, or not. In other words, while NWN is not being presented as an MMORPG, it may very well prove to be one of the most successful MMORPG's in history, once the fan base gets its hands on the tool set and start producing alternate worlds.

Can you tell how eager I am to play NWN yet ? hehe

ChinaCat
My Web Site

Last edited by ChinaCat on Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:07 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

The game is named Baldur's Gate... and you will be able to import your character from Baldur's Gate II over to NWN... so, i guess the game will be in the same "style" as BGII.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:34 pm
ChinaCat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
The game is named Baldur's Gate... and you will be able to import your character from Baldur's Gate II over to NWN... so, i guess the game will be in the same "style" as BGII.

Actually, that is not correct. For those interested, there is an in-depth fairly current FAQ on just about every aspect of the game. Below is the part of the FAQ addressing the subject of importing characters.

quote:
3.01 Can I import my character from the Baldur's Gate series? (Back to Top)

Initially we had hoped to transfer Baldur's Gate characters over to the Neverwinter Nights game but after working with the completely different rules, engine, graphics and character attributes, we could not see any purpose to stripping an old character of all items (as Neverwinter Nights starts the player at first level), all experience, all additional level bonuses and leaving them with just their name. We decided against the ability to transfer characters.

ChinaCat
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:56 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Badger, I wasn't selling it short. I was simply refraining from getting my hopes up about the single player. As the person who is basically running the Roleplaying Forum, I'm frothing at the mouth for that DM client and the ability to make my own adventures to run for players. I'm already planning out an adventure complete with dialog, characters, items, etc, etc, etc.
Believe me, I'm not selling this game short.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:24 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Can't wait to begin my Quest for a Good DM in NWN....

Else it will quickly deteriorate into Kobold Quest: Gimme Phat Lewt for No Work!

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next