Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why do I get 7 fps with it all on MIN with a *GF4 Ti 4600*?!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
- PzY -

Why do I get 7 fps with it all on MIN with a *GF4 Ti 4600*?!

Specs:
p3 1ghz
256 sd100 ram
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti 4600

Stats: 640x480x32
Distance: Min
Pixel Shading: Off
Shadows: Off

Framerate: 6-7 where you start in the ship, 1 outside...

WHAT THE FUCK?!

HELP?!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:49 am

MamoVaka

Because this game was designed with p7 8000's in mind

I have a top end system
xp1900+
512 ddr
geforce 4 ti4600

My frames are also gettting PUNISHED
8 fps I have seen in town, and the graphics weren't even maxed.
It's just the game man, its eating up your 1ghz pc ALIVE.

But just listen to all the fanboys, they will tell you it's not the game it's YOU. LOL

It's just a game that perhaps is a little too ambitious, it's not that the graphics are beyond what is possible, but perhaps they just didnt work it out correctly in the implementation. Asherons Call 2 has similar amazing graphics and let me tell you it runs much smoother than this. it's called LEVEL OF DETAIL, which doesnt exist in this engine and which is also the main reason people are getting their asses whooped!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:55 am

Anon

performance issues

I just started playing this evening and the game seems to run fine. No slowdown whatsoever with 1024 x 768, 32bit, far distance, pixel shaders, and shadows turned off. Running 1.33 T-bird, Leadtek 4400, 512mb pc133 Ram. After hearing the grief some people are having, I was pleasently surprised that its working great, and thats also with 4xs AA. Good luck to the both of you, but the game can be very smooth.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:11 am

Considering the hundreds who are playing it with little slowdown. I would say it is you Personally I am running it just fine on my P3 700, 256 ram, ge force 3 card, go figure!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:13 am

GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I can only reiterate whats been posted elsewhere:

- get very last drivers for all components (latest Detonator drivers, sound and some via MoBo drivers caused problems too) and verify that they are working in the system profiler
- kill all tasks except systray and explorer (CTRL ALT DEL)
- make sure your soundcard is DirectX 8.1 compatible and has the appropriate drivers.
- fog emulation should be on (vid card driver)
- defrag harddrive
- try that NoCD thingy

Look here for more hints (patience, board is hideously slow but loads eventually):

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=376670&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:44 am
Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I am getting 25-40 fps on an Athlon 1.4Ghz with a GF3ti200 running at stock speed, so I think there must be some problem here. I have shadows off but view distance at maximum, playing in 1000x780 or whatever res. (i'm bummed there is no 1280x1024 available)

I just installed the newest drivers off nvidia's site, they cleared up one problem I was having with the way water looks.

(and you can "LOL" at the "fanboys" all you want, I just checked these numbers using the framerate counter, IN COMBAT)
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:20 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Considering the hundreds who are playing it with little slowdown. I would say it is you Personally I am running it just fine on my P3 700, 256 ram, ge force 3 card, go figure!

Exactly.
T-Bird 800, GForce 2, 256 SDRAM100 - 1024*768, full distance, small shadows and gameplay is good enough.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:02 am
Guest Dare

*sigh*

quote:
p3 1ghz
256 sd100 ram

This is your problem. You can jack up your video card all you want but your processor and Ram are still going to bottleneck and kill your FPS on games that are processor intense...(like morrowind).

I have some questions for you.
What OS are you using? Windows98se, XP, ME?

Can you upgrade to DDR ram with your motherboard/processor?

Are you getting a lot of disk thrashing? (read: hard disk activity light on a lot)

That sdram is extremely dated (slow). It is by far your biggest probelm. Not to mention that you have 256 of it. If you have WinXP or ME your shooting yourself in the foot right there....
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:46 am

Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

These frame rate problems are a very odd thing indeed.

I have GF4 Ti4400 (300/650MHz), 512MB DDR RAM and Athlon TB 1400MHz. I have all details maxed out, 1600x1200 resolution and I get around 20-80fps inside, 10-30fps outside (even in Balmorra during fog).

Edit: Windows XP as OS and Audigy Platinum soundcard.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:50 pm

Re: Why do I get 7 fps with it all on MIN with a *GF4 Ti 460

It's your processor. Your rendering pipeline is bottlenecked at the CPU, as is MORROWIND.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:54 pm

jaycrockett
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd have to agree its not a Video Card bottleneck. With my Gforce 3, the FPS actually goes UP slightly when I switch to higher resolutions. <shrug>
Still very playable even though the fps says around 15 outside.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:16 pm
Vikce

low fps

I also have low fps - min10:max18 in balmora
My specs is:
PIII - 1G
SDRAM 133 - 512Mb
Raid 0 - 2x40Gb IBM "Vancouver"
AsusV8200T5 (GeForce3 titanium500)
MB - Abit ST6-Raid (i815)
Pixel shaders - on
Quincux antialiasing - on
Anisotropic filtering - on
Shadows - off

With antialiasing and anisotropic filtering - off - min12:max20
I think it is a processors fault - other parts is PERFECT, of course sdram133 give low bandwitch between VGA and CPU, but I think it is not main problem and CPU IS THE MAIN PROBLEM

But game is payable with 14fps around (only in the Balmora and Ebonheart)
Indors 80-90fps
Outdoors, most citiesand vilages 25-50fps
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:49 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Yes, it is the processor.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:53 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

What alerts me is that Morrowind uses engine from NDL, called NetRender. Dark Age of Camelot (and many other games) use the same engine. DAoC will update their engine and will have a new version of NetNender, probably close to the version that MW is using now. If the new engine will be as much CPU heavy as this is, then HOW MUCH complaints you think Mythic is going to get when they release the new engine patch?

Ok, that was totally off topic but anyhow, interesting to think.

Whatever the problem is it is not so straightforward. Some very high powered systems are having very low framerates with MW, yet some low powered systems are having HIGH framerates with MW.

However MW is not a game that requires steady and high frame rates to be playable, with my old system I enjoyed the game even I had 5-10fps constant.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:21 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's not the processor, don't listen to them.

I have an Athlon 800 and got better fps than that with game settings well above the lowest detail.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next