View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Diccuric needs help for translation

Hi,

the translation of Diccuric isn't going on very fast. Our translator, Jaz, asked me to get some support for her. So I wondered, if here are some guys, who can help to translate Diccuric from German into English? The tools are written and I do all the technical stuff, you must only translate.
I hope, that someone will aply for the job, otherwhise I can't promise, if there will ever be an English Diccuric version...
ciao
Markus
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:44 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

We have guys around here who helped translate whole of tNotR. Diccuric being such a recognized modification, I wouldn't worry much about it not getting translated...
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:55 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

It's got to be done, this is a mod for the English version of original game, the first ever one and only gothic. - - and it's big, wish i could speak German.
We have bean waiting quite a while hoping that it was soon to complete. How many people are needed and how long might it take to complete?
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:41 pm
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

About 270 kByte are left, so it's still a lot to do...I would do it myself, if my English wouldn't be so bad and if my team wouldn't kill me for taking a longer outtime from our new project
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:59 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There are still 104 text-heavy files to go. I tried to do it all by myself, but since I returned to my 10-hours-a-day job it's become short of impossible... unless you want to wait until Christmas. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to wait that long!
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:56 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I am amazed at the lack of response for this request for much needed work to complete the translation.
I wonder if this thread is reaching the right people (those capable)? - - - maybe a change of tactics would help? - - - after all, they did the Raven mod translation "pretty-rapid" and this is one is easier to do? Oh well i'll just sit and hope.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:40 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I hope this helps...
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:22 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

We almost finished the work on the translation of G2DNdR and the last (we hope) beta version of it v1.0b6 isn't too far away from release.

At this moment the guys are having their free time after the enormous work this translation required, and I'll ask them when they'll be back IF they want to work translate Diccuric too.

When we'll have a final answer, we'll let you know!

Thank you!
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:31 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I just seen this post, I am sure more people will see it.

Well, I see that Diccuric has an optional German speaking package added to it, large (300 Meg) or small file (80 Meg). (How did they make the Voice Mod?? The technique would be nice for an English voice for the NotR add-on {400Meg}).

When they say they are translating into English, is it only the subtitles and/or the English voice?

Anyway, where can one see the text files that need to be translated?

I, for myself, am not that great at translating dialog slang type native German. I could only give you a 'rough' translation..(if even that)....There are some very talented people more than me that worked on NotR; but as Cothyso stated, that was a HUGE project and are a bit tired.

Give us a link to look at the text to be translated and get an over all feel on what it would take.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:52 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I know how to do a voice pack Xerxes. It's just that for a full voice pack we would need a LOT of people to record all the voices, someone really good at working with those voice files (for edit them), and also would have to record the voices for Gothic 2 too (for the ones using the german Gothic 2 version and also even for the english Gothic 2 as the voices would be different for the same characters in gothic 2 voice packs and new addon's voice pack). And we would need the text translation first anyway... so we didi it

I wrote to the Diccuric mod people asking them if they want to eventually help us for a possible future full addon voice pack translation (as they have experince working on Diccuric's one), but didn't got any answer.

About Diccuric translation, don't expect text files as the ones you we used in addon's translation. They are working directly in the script files, which means a LOT easier job for the scripting (ie they don't need all the work I did to make scripts for exporting/importing text in big files to have them all toghether for translation), but a HELL of a job for the translation (as a translator would have to search through a script file looking for text strings which need translation, thing which also can result in a lor of script errors, as the translators aren't really good programmers to can understand the syntax of that script file, and they can mess it up because of that).

As an advice for Diccuric mod team, you should better prefix EVERY bit of in-game displayed text with an internal code which will be cleared before release. That way you can easely identify the translation needing text, and also indentify error/bugs in mod's testing phase, as you can identify what kind of text is displayed in game from that code. Not to mention that will let you to make parsing scripts which will allow gathering of all translation needing text in big files which are easier to translate/manipulate/follow.

In our mod, all text from scripts which originally looked like this:
"text line which will appear in game"
are looking like this:
"##(% text line which will appear in game"

The "## is never used by Daedalus script as a language word, so you'll always know that when you'll meet something like that in a script file, that's a translation needing line. Looking for all the lines between "" and starting with ## you can extract/inject back the text lines into the script files. And before making a release version, you'll just have to parse the scripts and delete the first 5 chars from a text line ("text line") which starts with ##...

But we still need to have a look at those scripts to can estimate what amount of work is needed, how long it will take and if we can do it or not.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:17 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Well, its becoming clearer just what is required, i personally don't know a thing about scripting, i take my hat off to you guys and your knowledge.

By the way, just for curiosity, what is a "npc scripting wizard for G/G2" is that useful for this kind of work? - - i noticed it at world of gothic site:-

http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/index.php?go=downloads&file_id=103

just curious,
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:44 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
By the way, just for curiosity, what is a "npc scripting wizard for G/G2" is that useful for this kind of work? - - i noticed it at world of gothic site:-

I reckon not... The thing is an advance tool for making NPC scripts. And, it only works with G2.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:25 pm
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First of all, Thanx a lot., hwfanatic. I hope this will help.

Now to stop all those theories about how the translation should be done. Yes, we have the Gothic (German, English and Spain) source files and those of Diccuric. And I will work with them, but you will get a script dump (or why should I post, that all tools are written?) which will be inserted directly back into the scripts. The files are in my own format to help the translator (LINENR IDENTIFY = Text). I put the left fiiles on my webspace, so if you want to take a look, go and get them.
The voice output was quite a lot of work. First we had to get those good speakers. After that, I wrote a tool to get script files for them (a speaker should not worry about technical issues). After that, we got their records on CDs, MDs, per email and so on and we cutted those speech files into the right parts and renamed them (there is another tool to check all the files, because there are so many, that no one could have an overview any more) and created a second mod file with them. The different audio qualities are different wav compressions. It's just a short impression, what work is to be done...
For now, we don't plan to get English voices. Not because we don't like to, but you see how hard it is to get the text files translated (for Russian ist a lot easier to find people) and we moved on to our next project (no mod at all), so there are no resources left to do voice editing our self. If someone of you want to organize speakers and do the cutting stuff, you'd have our support and our tools.

@cothyso: Sorry, that you didn't get any answer. I fear, that some things got wrong, but I won't search a guilty, that won't help. Catch me in ICQ or write me (I'm the guy to work on international requests, as I fear, that I'm the only one with interests in getting our work avaiable for the non-German speaking guys) an email with your questions and I do my best to help you (perhabs it'll take some days, because I must ask around as I didn't cut or edit the voice files...). Thanx for your advice, how the files for a translator should be, but I thought at that already. When I write "just translation" I mean "just translation".

I hope that things are clear now and hope to get support. Otherwise, I fear, that we'll only have Diccuric in German, Russian and Italian...
ciao
Markus
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:57 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow. alot of stuff. Do you want to just translate the German lines from that file link into English lines and let someone else stuff them back into the original file?

OK I see, 102 files. All files total is 268KB. What if I slipped back in the original German text lines one letter at a time the English? That is a Hard Hack. That is what I did for the Gothic 2 journal patch. Hex edit in the text. UltraEdit32 makes it go faster.

But you need to know what you are doing and the English text MUST fit in the original German spot in the file. That is the old fasion simple way I did in the past. I am not that well verse in computer scripting. Since most German is longer winded than English, 90% of the time it can fit in the original space with most of the meaning intact.

With scripting I guess you can get around that limitation and is alot faster. For a long translation that is the only way to go. If it just a small translation project, then you could Hard Hack it in.? / I am just suggesting...

I see about 400 or so dialog lines ID. They are short lines for the most part. Decent clean German that I can even understand. I do not see much slang in the form. It should be doable. I understand these are the files LEFT to go -that much has been translated already? Total Diccuric has more text...but already translated by Jaz and others??

It is not nearly as big as them MEG files from the Add-on Now THAT was a big job! Cothyso somehow kept it all straight and together; amazing organizational feat indeed!

If as Jaz said the average 2000 letters (average for one file) it would take if one file day- 3.5 months to translate all 102 files for one person. Hard Hack is slow!
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:28 am
Moe
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As we are using the script files to insert the text, there are no limitation for translating the text. But if you need at one place a lot more space as the German does, you must note it, so that I check if I should put another textbox for it. No one must put the text back again into the scripts, I wrote a tool to do that job (yeah, I'm to lazy for such a boring copy & paste job *g*), currently, about 50kByte are done, those names and standard outputs of the English Gothic need not to be redone, as I got them from the English script files
Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next