Gothic 3: Preview @ 1Up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic 3: Preview @ 1Up

1Up has a <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3148261" target="_blank">preview</a> of Gothic 3, with input from Piranha Bytes' KaiRo. Here's a nifty bit:<blockquote><em>No discussion of a Gothic game would be complete without an A.I. drill-down. Peek in someone's house or draw your weapon in public in the prior games and you'd score a stern talking-to. Stubborn players got a sword in the gullet. "We gave our original A.I. a major overhaul," says Rosenkranz. "In addition to the human-to-human level, we've added two new layers: regional and global." Rosenkranz defines the regional layer as covering townwide attitudes and events for a specific region. "So whenever the hero manages to fall out of favor with the inhabitants of a town, this is being handled by the regional layer," he explains. "In time, the protagonist might use his persuasiveness to gain followers. If he wins over enough people in a city, he might trigger a revolution and expel or kill the occupying orcs." The global level, on the other hand, plies the huge, panoramic events that affect things like major plot checkpoints and war outcomes.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:16 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

You normally dont see that in interviews, especially in English interviews.

Piranha Bytes getting credit for the incredible contrubution to RPG genre their AI and OpenEnded Gameplay. :rpcheer: :rpcheer:
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:48 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Excellent detail - some great explanations of concepts being moulded into realism from Kai..and for me a personal favourite is the familiar bit contrary to fantasy chat on some forums.......

"All Gothic games have one thing in common," says Rosenkranz. "They're RPGs without the character generation at start-up." From Gothic 3's outset, your "nameless self" already sports a list of talents. Thereafter, it's up to you to shape and personalize the character by expanding all the usual skills, plus a host of new ones" ......beautiful.

I would have been disappointed with any other concept than this, my confidence in Piranha Bytes is at its peak.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:48 am
InsaneOrc
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I don'T know why they're writing about the "lousy" controls all the time. I had NO problems with the controls/interface at all. Sure, you have more than 1 button as in Diablo, on the other hand you have not so many points of customization like in a D&D game. You have less keys to setup than in many FPS games. Today I tried to play IL2 Sturmovik and I have no joystick set up and it really sucked and I uninstalled it after half an hour. Maybe I'm not the right gamer for a flight-simulator. Should play Gothic. Maybe these guys should play Diablo 'cause you only need left mouse button.

I think they not even played it but just copied it from some reviews. Lousy controls It's just ridiculous everytime I read it.
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:31 pm
Father of Lies
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I would not qualify the controls as lousy, but idiosyncratic they certainly are. One gets used to them, but if you have to hold a mouse to play the game, why not give it more control in combat ? Perhaps this is what PB wants to implement for G3 ?
On the other hand the inventory interface absolutely needs to be overhauled.
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:19 pm
Elwro

But you don't need mouse to play the Gothic games. I use keyboard only and the old style from Gothic 1 is just fine for me.
Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:24 pm