Usergroups
What are you listening to right now?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

That's some intense stuff, Sammy. I'm probably missing out on part of the experience since gazing has gotten me to the point where I hear vocals but I rarely hear lyrics. That said, I wonder where you'll go when, like your bands, you tire of anger and misery. Metallica-esque? NIN-esque? James Taylor? (sorry, that last one was a low blow...)
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:43 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Type O Negative - Frozen

Type O is actually starting to grow on me, they just take some getting used to. I had no idea Peter Steele, the singer, was actually an old-school New York hardcore thrash metal legend. In the same vein as SOD, his mosh-happy Carnivore really tore things up with that type of vulgar, in-yo-face smartass thrash anthemic to the NY hardcore scene at the time. Plus, like SOD, they had a fervent nationalist mean streak that sets them apart from the anti-usa punk/hardcore crowd, that's a plus.

@DTE-
I dont know, perhaps I'll end up going straight classical or something when Im an elder, since I like alot of symphonic and operatic stuff. I think I'll always love metal. There is some heavy yet not-so-dark stuff to listen to, such as Battlelore, Rhapsody, Bal Sagoth, Iced Earth, etc. Hey, a link to my favorite Battlelore video, how did that get here? ='.'=

I really have grown to like Battlelore alot, they get you in the mood for wizards 'n warriors fantasy games. Ive got a couple of their cds, and theyre both good fantasy metal
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:04 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe

I dont know what took me so long to get this cd, it's pretty good! That is, in sort of a campish monster metal sort of way
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:13 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@Dteowner: Thanks for the Lush link. I still need to get around to picking up one of their greatest hits albums. I did place an order for Ether Aura's album and it's still in the mail. Hopefully, I'll get it soon. I really like their sound.

Maroon 5 - Harder to Breath
Heard it on the way to work this morning and it's been bouncing about in my head all day. I need to listen to something else to kick it out of my brain.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Val-
Always happy to oblige, ma'am. The Lush GH cd (Ciao) is roundly dispised by the gazer community because it skips over several well-loved "pretty Lush" tracks to pick up some of the "angry Lush" tracks. It might work for you, though, since you would probably favor the "angry Lush" sound anyway and wouldn't have any expectations from owning the older stuff.

I really think you're going to like Ether Aura. Just don't bail when track 3 comes up.

@the rest of you musical heathens
Getting into my shiny new blueScreen release. It's more edgy than their debut and taking a little getting-used-to, but me thinks I'm starting to like it.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:43 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

It has been a pain since my company stopped allowing music at the desk ... but on my way to work I was listening to Stanley Clarke's School Days from his "I Wanna Play For You" live release ... boy that man absolutely owns the bass ...

Mike[/b]

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:48 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Angry Lush sounds good to me. I'll check it out.

Death Cab for Cutie - Marching Bands of Manhattan
Ah, good stuff.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:38 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Check the latest rant from Foamy the Squirrel.

Foamy likes Collide. Ethereal goth. Closely related to dreampop/shoegaze.

I knew I've been following the righteous path all these years.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:40 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I really hate those stupid stickers too. Foamy knows all!
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:46 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Paradise Lost - Rapture

Even the ones that are put on the cd case itself that say something to the effect of "includes this song" tick me off, they could be put on the outside plastic wrapper instead. Those digipacks should be outllawed, they dont fit right in a cd collection either, I end up cutting the thing up and inserting the artwork into a standard cd case.

Even worse, some boxed sets, such as the recent Samhain set, come with all the cds in those little cardboard slipcovers. That one made me really spaz out, esp since it was like 60 bucks

I dont think DVDs should escape his wrath either, their packaging is just as bad, and they even have those el cheapo cardboard ones too

DT- if you could, define "shoegazer" for me as you see it, or hear it I guess. It doesnt have to be a column or anything, Ive just always drawn a blank when it comes to that term. It is like etheral emo-light? Then i see dreampop and Im really out in left field.
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegaze
Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:47 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'd say Val's link is pretty solid. I don't remember any mention of Jesus & Mary Chain, which would be a really bad oversight (although I don't particularly like them) in any shoegaze discussion.

Around here, I generally use the terms "Dreampop" and "Shoegaze" interchangeably. If the genre police come for an interrogation, I differentiate between the two. Sort of opposite ends of a common spectrum. At one end, often called "noisy", you've got a lot of dissonance and, well, noise. See My Bloody Valentine. That's shoegaze. At the other end. you've got a much "prettier" presentation with lots of atmosphere. See Lush (or rather, in light of recent posts, "pretty" Lush) or Slowdive. Still lots of common instrumentation and tones to tie it all into one "scene". Technically, I'm more of a dreampop and indiepop fan than true shoegaze, but that's really splitting guitar strings.

As for your other genres and how it all ties in, I think of musical genres as a spherical map. You start in one genre and can move in a variety of directions to related genres. So, for example, start with dreampop. Give it an angelic voice dressed in black and you've got ethereal goth. Back to dreampop, give it some pop structure and usually a quicker beat, and you've got indiepop. Back again, take away the vocals and slow it down and you've got ambient.
[/pedantic lecture]

Edith--Dug this off a gazer board I visit. This was a reply in the thread "Definition of Shoegaze?".

Edith returns--That gear pic didn't scale as well as I had hoped, so I removed it. Here is the source. Loses a bit of impact with all the text around it, but so it goes.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:29 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Danzig - KIller Wolf

@ DT and Val-
Nice, that clears it up for me. Well as much as such a muddied topic can be clear... musical genres are split into so many sub-types, sub-camps, and offshoots, poser and legit, it's hard to nail anything down anymore. I would say that's actually for the better tho, the more standardized and predictable something gets, the quicker it becomes a bore.
I just had a feeling Lou Reed was poking around in there somewhere tho

As for the pic, that is some serious gear! Actually Im a huge fan of the "wall of sound" thing, that is a big part of the currrent genre I'm into right now. Music that almost sounds like a huge, crushing leviathan of pure noise. Structured noise mind you, but still just a really thick tapestry of pure noise.

i'll check some out, My Bloody Valentine sounds like someone I could listen to, gotta hit some pre-listens tho first
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:48 am
Drake14
Brigadier General

Trivium - Suffocating Sight
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:45 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

So What by Ministry

Makes me wanna play VtM:Bloodlines again...
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153, 154  Next