View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
They say nothing is faked or hand-picked. This is what the game looks like without normal maps, specular maps (?) and correct lighting.

What do you mean with "faked or hand-picked"? Could you explain this a bit more?

Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:00 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Well, donīt you think that if you are about to get several million readers or viewers on sites, in printmag and on TV itīs normal to make sure the press sees 100% good stuff and 0% bad stuff?
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:08 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

You've got a point there. Maybe PB just hadn't 100% good stuff to show and so took the best they had. After all, without the engine being optimised they needed 2 GB RAM(!) to run that city Montera.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:27 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Itīs still pre-alpha. PB just created a build a day before the show and presented it. They say nothing is faked or hand-picked. This is what the game looks like without normal maps, specular maps (?) and correct lighting.

QUESTION: Will the game look like the pictures finally, worst or better ?
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:47 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The GFX will certainly improve. As i've already mentioned in another post the lighting and shadowing system aren't included yet. When you look at the screenshots you don't see any shadows.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:50 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by nasos_333
QUESTION: Will the game look like the pictures finally, worst or better ?

That also depends on your own system of course. When I play G2 on a 1280 x 1024 resolution with everything maxed it looks better than the screens on the official site.

When your system can handle it, then the game will look better than the pictures in the end. The screens are from a pre-alpha without special lighting and dynamic shadows etc.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:16 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
You've got a point there. Maybe PB just hadn't 100% good stuff to show and so took the best they had. After all, without the engine being optimised they needed 2 GB RAM(!) to run that city Montera.

Publishers / developers donīt simply "have" good stuff to show. Videos, pics and in-game footage needs to be prepared for the presentation. This can create many man-months of work.
I think PB simply decided that the most important factor for the German market isnīt what theyīre showing but rather that they show presence and show it to as many people as possible.

Every single presentation Iīve seen at the GC was choreopraphed. Some more, some less. I think you can interpret as a sign of confidence when you are shown the actual game for more than just a minute.
CD Project for example showed 3*10 minutes of The Witcher, presented by 3 different people talking about gameplay, combat and technology. Everybody started a different build of the game on another PC. Sort of a pipeline to increase the output. They had 30 minutes carefully selected material and planned to the second. Imagine how long it took them to prepare this. The Witcher looks fantastic btw. . I think we can put it somewhere near the top of the list.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:37 pm
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Some new info from G3

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
There are several new "shakycam" movies, uploaded by some german forumers on the WoG forums.

For example here is a some ingame footage from the GC: http://rapidshare.de/files/4120789/33460020.AVI.html

There are also files with an episode of the German games-programm NBC GIGA:
http://rapidshare.de/files/4124561/Gothic3.WMV.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/4125299/Gothic3.1.WMV.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/4125607/Gothic3.2.WMV.html

Some info from the tv-show:
- The game will have a play-time (is that the correct word to use: Spieldauer) of about 200 hours.
- The playable character on the GC stand is NOT the hero, NEITHER is it Diego. KaiRo said that the hero is not yet done, but will look as much as possible the same as the hero in G1 and G2.
- there will be no transportation or fighting on animals, no mounts. PB has tried it, but it would take too much time to implent it right. Too much new animations, etc. The final decision isn't taken yet, however.
- After the release of G3 they will reconsider the idea of a multiplyer modus for future Gothic games if any.
- PB still aims for Q1 2006 as the release date.

When judging the amazing graphics and animations shown in the videos, remember that we're still talking about a PRE-ALPHA version without any lighting etc.
For a RPG it's already looking incredible.

I downloaded the big giga 117 MB video. Is it different from the video you first mension ?

"For example here is a some ingame footage from the GC: http://rapidshare.de/files/4120789/33460020.AVI.html"
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:20 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Ratavuk
The GFX will certainly improve. As i've already mentioned in another post the lighting and shadowing system aren't included yet. When you look at the screenshots you don't see any shadows.

Actually in all pics you DO see some shadows, but they do seem unfinished. You do see some shadows on the ground though, maybe they have been implemented for the pics. Also bump mapping is there in lake pic, and bump/normal maps seem to be in the pics too. Any official word on pics beeing final or not ?
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:22 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
quote:

Actually in all pics you DO see some shadows, but they do seem unfinished. You do see some shadows on the ground though, maybe they have been implemented for the pics. Also bump mapping is there in lake pic, and bump/normal maps seem to be in the pics too. Any official word on pics beeing final or not ?

No, of course they are not final. How can you expect them to be final if the game is more than 6 month from release. If you watch the giga interview it's Kai himself who's saying that the character's shadows aren't implemented yet and so is the system for dynamic shadows. I'm sure that they must also implement lots of light sources, ambient fog and such things which will change the look of the scenery.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:54 am
nasos_333
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
quote:
quote:

No, of course they are not final. How can you expect them to be final if the game is more than 6 month from release. If you watch the giga interview it's Kai himself who's saying that the character's shadows aren't implemented yet and so is the system for dynamic shadows. I'm sure that they must also implement lots of light sources, ambient fog and such things which will change the look of the scenery.

So, if those shadows in the pics are not dynamic, they are what ? Painted to the ground for the specific location of a light source ? The problem is that pics show shadows on the gorund and self-shadowing on trees, that is why they look so good. So the question remains, are those pics FAKE, or rendered real time by the engine ? If so, then i do not see how dynamic shadows could not be rendered, since no matter where the light source is, the engine should render it like in those pics.

Anyway, i hope they manage to make the game look like in those pics, it would be really cool
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:16 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Maybe the shadows on the ground are from "Speed Tree™". The pictures are certainly rendered with 1000x antialiasing and so on. I can't see anything on the pictures that can't be done with todays gfx cards.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:51 am
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Maybe the shadows on the ground are from "Speed Tree™". The pictures are certainly rendered with 1000x antialiasing and so on. I can't see anything on the pictures that can't be done with todays gfx cards.

GeForce 7800GTX should be enough for the game to render everything and go pretty well
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:21 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Shadows from torches, fireplaces etc. on non-moving objects, like walls, crates etc. aren't really dynamic.
With dynamic shadowing they mean for example the shadows on a walking person, like the npc in the GC movies. He seems to be floating above the ground because there aren't any shadows from his body on the ground.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:33 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by bigboy_
quote:

GeForce 7800GTX should be enough for the game to render everything and go pretty well

Exactly ! But better would be a 7800GTX SLI combo.

I only said that it's no problem to render those things but i didn't say that it will be playable, that's a big difference.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:39 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next