throwing stuff strategy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

throwing stuff strategy

Just recently started playing this game again with a new party. And of course, we're picking up a lot of powders, potions, bombs, etc., etc. that can be thrown to generate spell effects.

Which got me thinking....

In all these games, I've never really used stuff like this as anything more than a cash cow. I mean, with my current party, they're all LVL 5+ and nobody has a sling/throw score higher than 2. Even with previous parties, if I did have a Bard or something who had a good sling/throw score, I never really used him/her to throw stuff -- it was just sling, sling, sling. I plan characters to be off. spell casters, or def. spell casters, or long-range ammo. attackers, or sword fighters, or yada, yada, yada.

But I've never planned a character to be the 'spell effect thrower', nor have I ever purchased any of that stuff for use.

Anybody have different experiences than this?
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:04 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I tried it with one party I put together many moons ago. After 2 cherry bombs in a row backfired, killing one of the party, I gave up. Never went back...

As I understand it, your thrown/sling skill controls hits and backfires and your artifact skill influences the damage done.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:11 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

In the beginning of the adventure I sometimes used bombs in desparate fights, which I would surely loose if nothing special happened, later in the adventure I find it's use to be absolete, as your other attacking forces are quite stronger. But I also suffered from some backfiring, which also limited my use of these items.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:09 am
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
I tried it with one party I put together many moons ago. After 2 cherry bombs in a row backfired, killing one of the party, I gave up. Never went back...

As I understand it, your thrown/sling skill controls hits and backfires and your artifact skill influences the damage done.

That would imply the best candidates for the 'thrower' spot would be a Bishop who does a lot of throwing/slinging, or a Ninja with a high artifact skill, or a perhaps a Bard or Gadgeteer that is trained in those two skills.

Unfortunately, my Bishop's are always too busy casting spells to get a high throwing skill (and I'm certainly not going to waste points on it when leveling).

I don't know if I've ever played a Ninja, but that might work. Toss some group level spell effect the first round, than focus on tossing stars/knives looking for crits the subsequent rounds. The trick would be in getting the artifact skill high enough to make it greatly effective.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:43 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

giving it a shot

So I'm making a go of this -- well, sort of.

The party is non-caster based, so it'll lean heavily on other forms of spell effects.

2 fighters, both Dracon, developed for melee with heavy use of acid breathe and ranged weapons.
1 Ranger, typical ranger duties
1 Gadgeteer, typical gadgeteer duties, plus lock/trap
1 Ninja, used primarily for ranged, thrown attacks -- high throwing skills fitting well with the use of tossed powders/bombs/potions.
1 Bard, used primarily for music, but also develops Artifact with throwing/sling rising through usage. Allows her also to partake of tossed goodies.

I'm just starting to clear out Arnika, and things look pretty good so far.

Any comments on how well they'll stand up throughout the game with no casters?
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:24 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Either your ranger or your ninja should work on alchemy (IMO). You'll probably be wanting to mix lots and lots potions and powders.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:28 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

IIRC, another choice for a thrower is an Alchemist. I believe they start with some skill in Throwing & Sling. As you already have several "fighters" in your party, I think replacing the Ninja would be a good choice as you will be able to build up the Alchemy skills faster (sooner portal).
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:13 pm
gdgrimm
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Either your ranger or your ninja should work on alchemy (IMO). You'll probably be wanting to mix lots and lots potions and powders.

Hmmm... Nice idea. I've never even played a potion/powder maker before. It would seem to fit nicely with the potion/powder thrower concept, that's for sure.

The party hasn't really even been challenged yet. Which is rather unusual. Most of the time, I've had at least a couple tough fights by the time I've cleared Arnika. And now that my Gadgeteer has just started distributing double shot crossbows (with Hunter Quarrels from Anna), their ability to take out at range has just jumped a couple more notches.

Is there a recruitable Alchemist in the game? I don't recall one, but I've never worried much about recruiting before. How about a recruitable Ninja or Ranger that could be trained for Alchemy? Wait -- ain't there a Trynnie Ranger in the Umpani camp? Maybe I'll bring her along for a ride.

Uhhh.... bit of a Freudian slip there, eh.
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:33 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm told Private Sparkle (the ranger) has some good "idle chatting" lines. There is a recruitable ninja in the game. I don't remember any alchemists. I don't use RPCs, though, so I'm not terribly attuned to who they are, what they are, and where they are.

I was told Vi had good plot-related things to say, so I took her to Ascension Peak once (at level 5, she died instantly, but I hit her with some ressy powder on the way to the final battle), and occasionally I'll grab Myles for a few minutes if I'm feeling guilty about doing his jobs without him.
Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:52 am
genji
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There is a mook alchemist RPC somewhere, I seem to remember. Perhaps in the Mook base in Arnika? Sorry, it's been ages since I played
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:44 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The mook in Arnika is a psionic.

Let's see here. How about a list. I'm sure to forget a few (as mentioned above, I don't use RPCs) so everyone is encouraged to make corrections.

human rogue- Arnika
mook psi- Arnika
human valk- Arnika
trynnie gadgy- Trynton
trynnie ranger- Gigas
Umpani bard- Gigas
Umpani fighter- Bayjin
Umpani lord- Away Camp
Trang ninja- Away Camp
Trang ???- Marten's Bluff
robot monk- Mine Tunnels
Trang sammy- Mine Tunnels