Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Conan: The Dark Axe (A Recommendation for the PC Game)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Conan: The Dark Axe (A Recommendation for the PC Game)

So not to be deterred by the lack of a US publisher (more on that later) I had Conan shipped across the Atlantic to me last week and I've played my way through about 75% of it.

Just to get this over with - I'll say there is scarcely any "RP" in the "RPG" here. Its a fighting action adventure game and its totally linear BUT...

But its also a TOTAL blast to play. The level design, enemies, combo attacks and well just everything are simply fantastic. Graphically I've got it at 1280x1024 with 8x filtering and it looks really great with the high res textures.

You do develop Conan's attributes by using XP (from killing) to allocate non-combat skills and 50 or so potential combat combos. I've maxxed out his non-combat skills and I've chosen 3 combos. For me there is no sense in developing anything else. I've limited myself to using Conan's father's sword (the default weapon) for the whole game, and those combo's are just perfect for that - and he moves, fights and blocks is just like the movie .

There is a frustrating downside to the game - the dreaded save gem system. Its not a showstopper - I've only had to replay 2 sequences so far because of the gap between saving. It does add an interesting "panic" feeling during combat if you've been hording the save jems and you are 45 minutes of gameplay from your last save. On the other hand, its so much damn fun that when I died last night and replayed the sequence it was a blast the second time through. For the record, I was hording - and could have saved before I died but for some reason I wanted 3 reserve gems and I only had two. The game is generous enough with gems that you don't need to horde.

So anyway, why this game is unpopular is a mystery to me. The lack of a US publisher is rediculous considering some of the crap that does get published - and YES, its better than Dungeon Lords even if its not a real RPG. I'm not sure what the story behind the lack of a publisher is. US Licensing? Maybe. There is another game by Caudron called "Knights of the Temple" which I'll be purchasing on ebay tonight and shipping across the pond - why? Again, no damn publisher.

I'm I the only one waiting for digital distribution? You can keep you glossy boxes!

"Taste the COLD STEEL!!!"
- Conan's favorite phrase in the game
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:04 pm