Greyhawk Trailer - finally!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Greyhawk Trailer - finally!

Talk about the glorified Infinity engine... Well, of course this is not it, it look better, yeah. But I have a strong feeling of of having seen this before. However, maybe it's good - I'm once again at home with D&D rules and isomeric engine.

Nice trailer after all, but too short - 50 smth seconds.

One of the download sites is here:
http://www.ag.ru/cgi-bin/ag2/gallery/gallery.cgi?greyhawk
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:07 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I had heard that this game uses an updated version of the pool of radiance 2 engine.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:28 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

It uses an updated version of the Arcanum engine: POR2 was developed by a completely unrelated company. Based on the very limited trailer, it really isn't recognisable as the same engine as Arcanum at all.

@stanthony, I agree - it does seem to have that familiar feel, doesn't it? The editing makes it hard to get any real sense of combat. In fact, the trailer almost looks RT even though it isn't. I played it several times and much as I looked it seemed sometimes a character and monster would cast spells at the same time - a trick of the timing, I presume.

Does anyone have any comments about the v3.5 rules?
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:44 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

EDIT:

@the mighty stamar - GOSH!!! I hope it is either not so or they managed to change/update PoR2 great deal. I completed PoR2 couple of months ago, and honestly I didn't like it's engine at all. IMHO Infinity looks better. However, it's hard to say what it is by just looking at this trailer as its quality is quite poor. I hope to see hi-res screenshots soon.

@Dhruin - With regard to D&D3,5 - I'm exploring the issue right now. My last PnP session was early winter, almost 5 months ago. We plan to play again somewhere in May. My players asked me what the hack is 3,5 and as I had nothing to say I though I'd better find out I hope to share my findings with you soon, or at least provide you with some good links.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:44 am
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well.

I think it all looked rather spiffing.

The animation on the large beasties looked excellent.

Can't wait, me.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:43 am
sprob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi

Hello,

When will it be available ??
thanks
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:09 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Re: Hi

quote:
Originally posted by sprob
When will it be available ?? thanks

Troika said somewhere in the second half of 2003. Waiting...
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:01 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

3.5 is the name of the revised ruleset for D&D. Being me I've been following it fanatically and all.

Anyways, it's another sign of WoTC treating D&D like Magic the Gathering.

I guess you can't get away from that now days... new sets, revisions, etc. I really hate when companies use end users as playtesters... it's bad enough with computer games, and worse with physical very expensive books!

(But the new rules will be available legally completely free online).

Rant aside... many of the changes they're making are positive.

A lot of spells are being reworked. Haste (level 3), in particular, is no longer better than your average 9th level spell.

Heal no longer heals someone from 3 hit points to two million hit points. This is good, especially at high levels when an enemy cleric can have a quickened heal hanging around.

Harm no longer kills a great wyrm dragon three times your level in one shot. This is better, in my opinion. Naturally there's a lot of complaints about things... but I firmly believe that a spell that could do hundreds or thousands of damage in one shot (reducing a dragon from 900 hit points to 3 is doing 897 damage with one attack, no matter how you slice it.).

The Three H's are the biggest changes revealed so far. Polymorph other now grants a saving throw bonus if you try and turn someone into something that can't survive in the environment you're in (fish in a desert).

The Bard class and the Ranger class are being reworked. The ranger will have a few other combat paths to take, letting you play a two weapon using ranger or a woodland archer without having to run to Fighter for extra feats. They say there are some tweaks to classes overall to make staying with a single class 'worth it'.

A bunch of 'new' (not) prestige classes a few 'new' (not at all) feats are being written into the core books. The feats are ok, and there's hundreds of pages of bloody hell being raised on the official forums about which extra prestige classes are making it into the book.

In short... other than the revisions of bard and ranger, I can't see anything truly affecting the Greyhawk game. It only goes to level 10 so most of the spell changes (high level spells) won't even be an issue. Except the change to haste... and I'm sure they're breathing a sigh of relief over not having to change the round mechanics for the sake of one spell any more (granting an extra partial action is a huge thing... you can use it an almost infinite amount of ways... a game engine couldn't take that, which is why you got the 'whacky' haste in Neverwinter Nights...)

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:50 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Honestly, I was waiting for the guru (EverythingXen that is ) to appear and say few words about 3,5. I even was thinking first to post this in D&D section just to get his attention

I agree with Xen - there are too many editions with quite a few changes. D&D 3rd was quite an event for me and my players. We played several modules and started a campaign, and we haven't explored and used the many of 3rd edition rules. But here 3,5 goes! I also think that D&D is not quite like Magic: The Gathering at least in the sense that players need time to do with a set of rules. In MtG people need new editions to keep up with competition, to beat their opponents with newer decks - quite a different goal. AD&D was out there long enough to become a pain in the ass and a habit, true. But, on the other hand it was out there long enough for players to become experts in it.

Does anyone know how long will it be until D&D 4.0 will be releazed?
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:16 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

D&D revises its editions appx. every 10 years. So about 6 - 7 years before 4.0. They're stressing this is NOT a prelude to a 4.0 in the next year or two... just a few changes to core mechanics based on 'overwhelming' fanbase demand.

I haven't seen a 'bad' change yet (though many, many, many, many hundreds of flame pages on the official forums show that there's some disagreement in the camps. ).

Though i'm still not convinced that 25% new content is enough to warrant going out and paying another hundred dollars in books. The new art will sell me or convince me to write the revisions (available online from an officially sanctioned source as of the 3.5 printing) on sticky pads and slap them into my existing books.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:38 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

An updated Arcanum engine? I think NOT.

Btw, the trailer is LEAKED... I don't think Troika likes it.
But It was a cool trailer. Can't wait for this game!
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:46 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

Well..here's a quote from Tim Cain, the head honcho at Troika:

"We are using a heavily modified version of [the Arcanum] engine, which now uses 3D characters and particle effects. We began modifications after Arcanum was completed, and when Infogrames came asking about the possibility of doing D&D, we showed them a demo of the new engine's capabilities, and they really liked it."

You can find the complete transcript at the Troika Fan UberFAQ, linked from Troika's home page.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the engine heritage, though. Freedom Force and Morrowind use the same engine (NDL NetImmerse) and I doubt anyone could pick a similarity.
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:33 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

Well..here's a quote from Tim Cain, the head honcho at Troika:

"We are using a heavily modified version of [the Arcanum] engine, which now uses 3D characters and particle effects. We began modifications after Arcanum was completed, and when Infogrames came asking about the possibility of doing D&D, we showed them a demo of the new engine's capabilities, and they really liked it."

Hmm, I thought I read that they would be using a compleatly new engine... hmm, guess I was wrong then. Anyway, the game looks great.
Post Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:08 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Today (and I believe with no connection with E3 event ) Gamespot posted a preview of ToEE with *three first screenshots*. Screens are in 640x480, so we see here a type of interface designed for this resolution (it was announced that ToEE will have a different interface for different resolutions). Well... Honestly, I like what I see. Like it very much. Interface reminds me of smth. - don't know what it is. Looks very good I think.

Here it is -
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/greyhawkthetempleofee/preview_6027853.html
Post Thu May 15, 2003 9:28 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

well if arcanum's mentioned in any way in the description of it, i'm getting it

[edit: no, not if it's "this is utter crap compared to.." ]

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Fri May 16, 2003 2:50 am