Everquest-Worth Playing?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Everquest-Worth Playing?

I used to play Everquest as a variety of different guys. I got to lvl 12, but then got fed up with the game. It got really boring. But then the expansion came out. Is it much better than the others? Well, my real question is, is that lately, i have been very curious about the enchanter. I love the idea of being able to turn into other races, leaves, pots of fire, etc. Yet, then again, i don't know if i should go back into it; it might get boring agian. Anyway, I have Morrowind. Any suggestions?
Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:42 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Bored

If you got bored once, you will get bored again. All the expansions did was provide more zones - as you already know about the game (as most games) new creatures just mean the same old creatures with different skins. They didn't add any new game features.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 11:37 am
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yeah, that's what i've been thinkin' too. Thanks for your input, it probably saved me some cash.

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Thu May 09, 2002 2:16 pm
madigan

If you only got to L12 then I doubt very much you experienced much good group interation and you missed the reason why so many people still play the game.

If you play Everquest as a single player game then you will probably get a lot less out of it than most single player RPG's that you could get your hands on. What Everquest does provide is probably the best group based computer roleplaying experience available (I tried the other 3 mmorpg's and they just dont do the group thing anywhere near as well). If you can fall in with a good group of online friends ingame it can be one of the most amazing games you'll play.

Its persistent world and higly dependant class structure can make it one of the most addictive games you can get your hands on. On the flipside its down time and levelling grind can also make it one of the most tedious and innane games you could possibly play.

I played for nearly 2 years and even though I left bitter, disapointed and bored with the game I still have classic moments, experiences and memories that I share with people I met through the game and will carry with me for a long time to come.

Try it again, just know that if you are to get any enjoyment out of it you have to play to its strengths which are it's multiplayer aspects.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:17 pm

Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I played EQ back in the day...

I have to echo the same sentiments. If you've gotten bored with it once, you'll get bored again, even sooner than before. EQ expansions don't bring much new to the table, except for the latest one (after you've shelled out serious cash for the others) which allows better graphics. Since you have Morrowind, I recommend you stick to it. Another good RPG you might want to look into is Wizardry 8. I've had tons of fun playing that for the last couple weeks. Truly a work of art, and the combat is so much more in depth than EQ's that it'll make it look like a walk in the park. EQ will gobble up your time and energy, and you won't be able to experience all the other great RPGs out there. I recommend you make a little sacrifice to reap bigger rewards forthcoming.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:11 am