Gothic 2 controls on Gothic?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Sir_Budweiser
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 controls on Gothic?

Tried to play Gothic a couple of months ago, but abandoned it cause I think the controls were really sucky- but dont remember concrete what was the problem. I enjoyed the controls in Gothic 2.

I think I tried to customizice the controls, but could not have the same controls that I am using for Gothic 2. They are like this:
- arrow keys with left and right arrow direction for strafing left/right
- Middle mousebutton for using weapons and remove them
- right mousebuttom for inventory
- 4 other mousebuttoms ready for other controls (look back, journal and so on).

Have there been created a mod that can improve the controls, or did I only have a bad day when I tried to customizice the controls? What were the concrete differences between Gothic and Gothic 2 controls?

Thought about finishing Gothic, since I played through Gothic 2
Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:27 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No, Gothic only has the "classic" controls. The optional simpler combat handling was added because many people found the old one a bit too demanding.

You have 5 options:
- standard setup (cursor) for left-handed players
- alternative setup (ASDW) for right-handed players
- ... with either mouse (LMB = Ctrl, RMB = Esc) or keyboard
- map it to a gamepad. At least pads with good software should work.

The controls aren´t half as bad as people tend to make them. In fact combat and inventory are handled in a very consequent way. After I few hours you´ll appreciate that inventory handling does not require unnecessary mouse clicks.

It´s sort of a reversed shooter setup. Keeping the LMB or Ctrl pressed indicated that you want to perform an action on the object or NPC in focus. Depending on your gamestate and the target you have one or more options available. One option is always activated with the forward key, so LMB + forward does just about everything except dialogs and combat. In Combat you can choose between 4 options with the diectional keys. Later you will learn how do combos.
The inventory is auto-sorted. Scroll down, assign as explained above.
Trading sucks. Just look the keyboard commands up in JemyM´s FAQ when you need them the first time.

You´ll get used to the controls after an hour or two. Combat is meant to be hard. Avoid combat, run away, get an armour & a decent sword and put the first few levels in Strength.
Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:27 am
Sir_Budweiser
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tnx for the answer Gorath. I got used to the Gothic control system, but I really think it is poor to be standing more than less still while hitting monsters, and not strafing or so on at the exact same time as you fight (ala Gothic 2). I think that the control system in Gothic is so poor that I just abandon the game At least Gothic 2 was great, and looking forward to Gothic 3. But the control system, and graphic engine in the first game is a little too dated for me to try

I think Gothic 2 is a lot better than the first game, and hope we will get as much same improvement to the next Gothic game
Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:11 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I think the original gothic keyboard system is unbeatable, it does everything i want and more, couldn't ask for a better system.
Post Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:02 pm
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
I think the original gothic keyboard system is unbeatable, it does everything i want and more, couldn't ask for a better system.

Agreed! With only one difference. I liked g1 controls in g2 becouse they were a bit smoother! But then again, that is more combat system than controls themselves.
Post Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:39 am