View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
I was in the beta too but im not very impressed so i quit playing it. I guess thats all i can say due to the NDA. I really hate NDAs, what a pain in the arse.

Totally agree on both, the "not impressed" and the "pain in the arse" part .
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:24 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Games officially released on 12/9/03 so my assumption is that the NDA will be lifted a week or so before. I'm sure there's going to be a ton of info out once that happens.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:27 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Any game I want to play now-a-days should have a PvP option, like DAoC, where it isn't manditory, but it adds a great deal to the whole game. But anyway, Horizons looks interesting due to the fact of the war against the undead. If these undead are as intelligent as Artifact is claiming and they poise as big a challenge as would be nessisary for a game without any PvP, it would be alright. They have also talked extinsivly about their crafting system so I'll look forward to that. Another month and we'll see if we have a hit or another miss in the MMORPG genre.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:47 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What ive heard every betatester say is that Horizon sucks. Not a big suprise though.
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:20 pm
greyskull
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Zakhal
What ive heard every betatester say is that Horizon sucks. Not a big suprise though.

many of the people saying this are complaining of lack of content.. they have been in beta for a long time, and arent testing content anymore/right now... they are testing server capacity, wich means they are having as many people sign on to the game as they can until the server crashes.. this is why (i think) they have not yet lifted the NDA.. they want to finish all the server stress testing, then they will reload all the content, and then lift the NDA.. of course that is a guess (about reloading content and lifting the nda)
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:40 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I know the answer to this, but damn that NDA!
Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:49 pm
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I am going to quote someone on another board:

any beta tester worthy of being a beta tester will not be giving any kind of "review"

To which I completely agree...what people are saying about beta is about an uncomplete game to which their opinions are valid, but you can't really judge an unfinished product now can you?
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:32 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

As to the original poster. There have been over 20K people let into beta, so if your in and you know how many servers they are using and how full they are in prime time... that should give you a great indication of how the beta has gone for most testers.
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:19 pm
Farseer
City Guard
City Guard

I just reread this thread.. Greyskull how long have you tested Horizons?? It cant be long with the statement you made. Facts are AE was stress testing from june to ??????
They promised the content later in the beta at which point many of those people you comment on come into play! All will be clear once the NDA drops.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:27 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

does anyone know the release date for europe? or the international release if it exists.??
please someone..

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:25 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:

All that I can really tell you at this point is that what you imply is not true. There are many who do not feel the game "sucks" as you so eloquently put it. Many do. The only truth is that ANY game has will have people to like it and those who do not.

There are those who think EQ is the perfect MMORPG - I personally think it sucks .

Go figure.

After NDA is lifted, you will be able to get all sorts of opinions here - mine included. But I can say that for all of us (those who are beta testing and those who are not), we must wait until market release to know the truth of the game.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:38 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:

...and this was the case for DAoC, AC2, E&B, Eve Online, SWG.... The point is: if you haven't tried it yourself, what do you really know? From my point of view, Horizons doesn't "suck" but it's probably not exactly what most people would have liked it to be.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:30 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
quote:

...and this was the case for DAoC, AC2, E&B, Eve Online, SWG.... The point is: if you haven't tried it yourself, what do you really know? From my point of view, Horizons doesn't "suck" but it's probably not exactly what most people would have liked it to be.

The fact is that usually there are a fair amount of positive comments too. As for horizons all ive seen (prox 90+%) is negative ones. And this from 5-6 different sites. It certainly wasnt like this with daoc i.e.

And why are they still holding the NDA this close to release? That if nothing else is a sure sign that the game is not exactly "ready" for release. Ready as in not needing 6 months of patching before becoming "fun" enough to play.

Heres one good comment from another site:

quote:
*sigh* So what else is new? The fanboi element has woken up to the fact that everything their little hearts desire isn't going to make it into the game. And so, cue the crying.

On the other hand, it also sounds like Horizons is about on par for most MMOG releases. Same old beta-bugs and lack of content complaints. But, honestly, you'd think by now that most gamers over the age of, oh, say 12 (who probably haven't been through a MMOG launch yet) know that you NEVER EVER pre-order the game.

SWG launched almost six months ago, and it's just now getting to the point where I might consider buying the game (jedi insanity notwithstanding). Horizons certainly won't be anywhere near that point for me for at least six months after it ships.

Note the NEVER EVER pre-order mmogs. Vote with your wallet.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:23 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
And why are they still holding the NDA this close to release? That if nothing else is a sure sign that the game is not exactly "ready" for release. Ready as in not needing 6 months of patching before becoming "fun" enough to play.

And that's a really good point... I was about to ask about the NDA, and you answered it. I guess everything can be justified, but as you mention it does say a lot about the potential state of the release.

Still, the general opinion of those who spent a few hours in a beta should never really hold too much weight in forming your opinion. Maybe those who really liked the game are really sticking to the NDA? (I know I'm stretching things here... )

quote:
Note the NEVER EVER pre-order mmogs. Vote with your wallet.

Amen! I've been saying that for a year, but no one listens!
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:46 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

Zakhal, why do you even post in this forum, your emotionaly attached to this game in some way, whats your problem. if you hated it as much as you say you do(or as you act). you wouldnt have anything to do with this forum.

Stop flaming the game over and over, and stop repeating the same bloody points over and over again.

No offence.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next