Found an interesting bug in MP
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Found an interesting bug in MP

Ok, many of you might have met this little bug but couldn't identify it. I have, and it's nasty. As far as I know it's only a multi-player with DM bug as it never did this in SP. This is with version 1.20 installed.

Ok, so here's my pathethic attempt at a description:

When a mage (or anyone else I guess) casts a summoning spell (or call familiar or anything else of the sort), sometimes his/her beast will appear on the DM's group list on the right. Usually it doesn't, it only lists the players themselves. But once in a while (I haven't put my finger on the reason why it will appear) it does. When it appears in the player list with its icon, the summoned creature also becomes visible on the map as a little purple dot, like those for the PCs present on the map.
Now at this point, if the DM opens his/her map and mouses over the purple dot that belongs to the summoned creature, the game crashes. Dead, boom, back to Windows my friend... You don't need to click it, you don't need to do anything else than just move your cursor over the little purple dot.

It happened twice to me tonight. The first time by accident, the second because I wanted to see if that's what had caused the crash. I got my answer. (Oh, and sorry about that guys... )

Anyway, thought everyone should know about this as its pretty nasty...
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to avoid that.
Have you noticed anything wrong with the Goto command when switching areas? I could almost swear that was the cause of two crashes today.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:23 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I didn't think, and hoped that NWN didn't have many bugs.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:18 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to avoid that.
Have you noticed anything wrong with the Goto command when switching areas? I could almost swear that was the cause of two crashes today.

I usually don't have problems with changing areas with the goto command... anymore What I found (but I haven't tested this so I can't confirm if that's the problem) is that if I used the goto command while the area map was up and displayed, sometimes I crashed.

I think the area map creates many problems in MP for some reason. Maybe it's something different, but I'm learning to not use it unless it's much needed. In any case, as a DM when you want to locate one of your PCs, you just need to right-click on the character portraits on the right side of the screen and select the goto option. You'll be immediately transported to the location of the PC on the map, or on another map if they changed area.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Thanks for the tip. I'll never use that little map again. It was up during each of the crashes.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:17 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Re: Found an interesting bug in MP

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
Ok, many of you might have met this little bug but couldn't identify it. I have, and it's nasty. As far as I know it's only a multi-player with DM bug as it never did this in SP. This is with version 1.20 installed.

Ok, so here's my pathethic attempt at a description:

When a mage (or anyone else I guess) casts a summoning spell (or call familiar or anything else of the sort), sometimes his/her beast will appear on the DM's group list on the right. Usually it doesn't, it only lists the players themselves. But once in a while (I haven't put my finger on the reason why it will appear) it does. When it appears in the player list with its icon, the summoned creature also becomes visible on the map as a little purple dot, like those for the PCs present on the map.
Now at this point, if the DM opens his/her map and mouses over the purple dot that belongs to the summoned creature, the game crashes. Dead, boom, back to Windows my friend... You don't need to click it, you don't need to do anything else than just move your cursor over the little purple dot.

It happened twice to me tonight. The first time by accident, the second because I wanted to see if that's what had caused the crash. I got my answer. (Oh, and sorry about that guys... )

Anyway, thought everyone should know about this as its pretty nasty...

So *thats* what happened

Don't feel bad Ekim - I'd've done the same thing
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:37 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Nasty bug......we must've made it hard for you last night....cause we were summoning creatures left and right. I hear that patch 1.21 is on it's way though.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:05 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Yeah, well you came in after the actual 2 crashes we had, so you fortunately didn't have to go through it. But I guess it's good that I found that out. Can you imagine if I had remained clueless and kept looking at the map with all those pets running around? eeek!!
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:48 pm