Matrix Revolutions - The way it ended
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Matrix Revolutions - The way it ended

I was very disappointed with the way "Matrix Revolutions" ended the trilogy. After all that work and fighting, the humans made absolutely no progress against the machines. Neo had all of that power and just laid down for the machines at the end. I think that was very cowardly and unbecoming a hero.

I would like to know how you think the story should have ended.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:00 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Moved to Books & Movies...
Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:25 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

No progress against the machines? The war ended!

The machines will keep their word and inform the people that this is what life is and give them the choice of living in a hole in the ground or living as you always have.

If Neo had laid low the machines and destroyed the matrix he would have slain the human race, which couldn't survive without the machine intervention.

The world is still destroyed by human hands, after all... if Neo destroyed the machines where would those billions of people go, exactly? How would they be clothed or sheltered or fed?

This was the best possible outcome for the human race... those who want to go will be allowed to go (Until Zion screams "Please... no more... no more!" and collapses under the weight of liberated humans) and those who want to stay will stay (and if someone showed me the 'real' world was a pile of destroyed rubble and my choice was to go live in a sweaty dingy no-creature-comfort hole in the ground or live my life as it is now... I wouldn't care that I was being used as a battery.)

The machines will keep their word "Of course... what do you think I am? Human?" and perhaps by working together instead of against each other the two races will be able to find a way to restore the atmosphere of earth to normal... and after that, reforest the world... and after that release the humans and the machines can run on solar power.

How else could this scenario have ended? Everyone in the tubes wakes up and dies of starvation? Humans get control of the Matrix and nothing changes?

The ending is much better than Neo raising his hands to the sky and parting the clouds and making trees sprout from the dead ground, isn't it?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri May 28, 2004 7:03 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

The war ended? People are still born in and live their whole life in cans.

Your entire reply for filled with fear.
1. You are afraid that the people will die without the machines
2. You think that the machines have all the power.

In, fact the opposite it true.
1. People do not need machines, machines need people so much so that they grow people
2. Neo had all the power over the machines. So much so that he can walk into machine city and force his will on the source himself.

Neo also shared your fears, and that is why he allowed these crimes against people to continue. Any superhero, who was not afraid ( Superman, Batman, Spiderman, James Bond etc.), would not have settled for this outcome.

The people would have lived. The best outcome for the human race is this:
Be free, learn the truth, deal with it or die.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 9:02 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

The ending, actually 65% of the movie sucked.

It was obvious they were gonna tie this into the MMORPG.

You rent the DVD...and that is exactly what they end up saying.

LAME.

It's like the Happy Meal trilogy. A cheap CHEESEburger for the masses.

If they ever make garbage like this and put the name Blade Runner on it I will go into a coma!

Thankfully, later this year we will have the godlike Ghost in the Shell:Innocence to wash the bad taste out of our collective mouths
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri May 28, 2004 10:18 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Darrius, what Zen was saying isn't fear it's just plain logic. Zion wouldn't be able to supply the goop that they eat to billions of people, they would need vegetation on the planet.

Yes, people still live in cans but now they have the freedom to leave. Someday there may be technology like the matrix where people can go into a virtual reality and most likely we'll have to pay for that. These people can live in the matrix for free, that sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri May 28, 2004 11:05 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Darrius Cole
The war ended? People are still born in and live their whole life in cans.

Your entire reply for filled with fear.
1. You are afraid that the people will die without the machines
2. You think that the machines have all the power.

In, fact the opposite it true.
1. People do not need machines, machines need people so much so that they grow people
2. Neo had all the power over the machines. So much so that he can walk into machine city and force his will on the source himself.

Neo also shared your fears, and that is why he allowed these crimes against people to continue. Any superhero, who was not afraid ( Superman, Batman, Spiderman, James Bond etc.), would not have settled for this outcome.

The people would have lived. The best outcome for the human race is this:
Be free, learn the truth, deal with it or die.

Chill out it's only a film.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:10 am
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Yes, Graham it is only a film, and therefore has no consequences in real life. It is just that the businessman in me hates to see such a marketable character ruined at the end when he is just about to become an icon. Note the characters I referenced. Neo was almost at that status. But they messed it up.

But don't worry, I won't lose sleep over it. (But would like my seven dollars back)
Post Sat May 29, 2004 1:31 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I seem to recall another character ruined in the same fashion. Jesus. I'd say he is a very marketable icon.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat May 29, 2004 3:19 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Of course the machines need the people (apparantly... that whole human battery thing never made sense at all. A single nuclear power plant running at full strength would likely eclipse the farms output...).

Pragmatism is not fear. There's no way to feed or clothe the masses so what they have is as good as they could hope to get.

I don't see an aware public, a free Zion, and probable co-operation between humans and machines as a particularly bad outcome. I can't think of a better one... force the machines back into their place, perhaps? Show them who's boss? What about all the benign or neutral programs that are artificial intelligences that go about their business? Enslave them too?

I know there had to have been a better ending hanging around... but I don't know what.

And Neo was hardly a cultural icon. He was a wooden and shallow character played by a wooden and shallow actor. It's one of the only roles where Reeves can excel by being himself. All he had to do was deadpan lines and do crazy stunts... any time he TRIED to act (the oh-so-painful to watch Trinity death scene... and the even more painful sex scene in Reloaded) he ended up looking foolish. The only reason the Matrix will be remembered in 20 years is because they'll release a 20th anniversary box set <insert media storage that hasn't been invented yet here> to make a few bucks.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat May 29, 2004 7:59 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Beautifully put, EX.
Post Sat May 29, 2004 10:10 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol, I agree EX.

I had my reservations about the first film, but I had no inkling how far downhill the whole thing would go. Both sequels were total garbage, IMO. I think it's pointless to debate the story's ending (or any other part, for that matter), as it had holes everywhere. Why exert yourself mentally for a film whose writers didn't bother?
Post Sat May 29, 2004 7:34 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You guys think the state of man-kind in the mythology is acceptable?

1. Man-made objects are replicating people in cans.
2. They are processing human-beings for electricity.
3. The people are eating dead people.
4. Machines can only survive if they create a lie that almost all people can believe. (If they could tell everyone the truth, then the earlier versions of the matrix would not have collapsed.)

You would happily accept that? And you don't think that is fear? No real hero would accept this outcome. The people in Zion are eating somehow. They have clothes, and bullets, ships, bombs and fiction's greatest educational system. But you say people should stay in the Matrix so that they can eat. That does not make sense. They can live without the Matrix.

You can not have peace where one party consumes the other. Cats and mice can not live together in peace.

A good action flick can be somewhat illogical, because you pay for the action. But such a movie has no room for cowardice in the heros. The hero is the one who carries everyone else on his back. (See "Sam" from Lord of the Rings)

The story of the Matrix was very promising at the beginning, but the writers did not develop it properly. That is my point. We seem to be disagreeing on why we thought it was bad. I guess that would be yet another testament to how bad it really was.

quote:
I seem to recall another character ruined in the same fashion. Jesus. I'd say he is a very marketable icon.

I fail to see your analogy.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:25 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

1. Man-made objects are replicating people in cans.
2. They are processing human-beings for electricity.
3. The people are eating dead people.
4. Machines can only survive if they create a lie that almost all people can believe. (If they could tell everyone the truth, then the earlier versions of the matrix would not have collapsed.)

Uh... The early versions collapsed because they were too perfect. And as for people only staying in the matrix because of a lie. Hardly. I'm sure you recall that in Matrix 1 a person who had gotten out of the Matrix wanted to get back in and forget about the pitiful outside.

quote:

You would happily accept that? And you don't think that is fear? No real hero would accept this outcome. The people in Zion are eating somehow. They have clothes, and bullets, ships, bombs and fiction's greatest educational system. But you say people should stay in the Matrix so that they can eat. That does not make sense. They can live without the Matrix.

People in Zion still depend on machines for warmth etc. Who has said anything about an educational system? If people started massing out of the Matrix then space, food etc would become scarce. Especially since the only habitual place is near the earth core.

In the end, Neo had to bargain with the machines, and fight a common enemy. Because he couldn't destroy all machines.

The second movie made a better plot hard to find. But then, I have heard some rumors that the original Matrix was based on a book by some Sophia Stewart.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:06 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Uh... The early versions collapsed because they were too perfect.

Right, they were too perfect and people rejected them as real. So they created a new one, one that more closely resembled reality, i.e. a better lie.

quote:
Who has said anything about an educational system?

They can plug a terminal into the back of someone's head and teach them kung-fu in one minute. That would be the world's greatest educational system.

quote:
In the end, Neo had to bargain with the machines, and fight a common enemy. Because he couldn't destroy all machines.

He walked into machine city. He can only do this because they can not stop him. If Bin Laden walked into the White House, it would mean that he has already won the war. IMO Neo could have destroyed all the machines if he thought aggressively.

quote:
Always with you what can not be done. Hear you nothing that I say?

Master Yoda
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next