View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Aqtai
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by imposteraz
You might find a used copy of the standalone NotR.

I bought NotR as part of Gothic 2 Gold from Amazon in the USA. I don't know about its availability in the UK, though.

It seems that is what I'll have to do. You can't get Gothic 2 Gold on amazon.co.uk.
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:12 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

aldee_,

I just tried your customizer on NotR and it works beautifully! Thanks very much for taking on this project. You did an outstanding job!

Now my wish list includes a customizer that will adjust the level, hit points, "armor" and damage done by the various creatures in the game.

The idea would be (for my taste) to make creatures more or less vulnerable to certain attacks based on their nature (e.g. make most Golems invulnerable to arrows and bolts, Dragons almost invulnerable to arrows and bolts, Blood Flies very vulnerable to fire, increase the hit points for some creatures, decrease others, etc.).

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I've been having a great time playing NotR with the Customizer. I've shifted the main focus of the game away from killing monsters to solving quests to get my EPs.

Major Changes:
Set the points earned for quests to 500% of normal.
Set the points earned for killing to 20% of normal.

Minor Changes:
Set minimum Str/Dex for weapons to 65% of normal.
Set minimum Mana for Scrolls to 10 points.
Set Mana costs for Rune spells to 80% of normal.

Using the changes above, this really changes the way you look at quests! Now quests are the only real focus of the game and you kill animals/monsters only when you can't get around them or you need to hunt them for food or trophies (just like Real Life (tm)).

The Minor changes mentioned above allow the hero to use weapons normally not used in the game and give just a little help to the hero during the early days of a new game (G1 had many weapons that had a min Str that was only 50% of damage level). I also set the Mana cost for Scrolls back to the old G2 default, so that it gives more reason to become a Mage, especially since more powerful scrolls are available earlier in NotR than in G2. Also, setting the Mana cost of Rune spells lower gives Mages a little boost they need in dealing with monsters and some situations.

In general, the game (modified as above) has a very balanced feel to it -- your beginning character isn't too much of a wimp, but doesn't grow too powerful too quickly in the middle of the game.

Hint: Now you REALLY want to read all the books you can in the game, especially in Xardas' tower (worth 125 points the first time each title is read).

Again, thanks aldee_ for such a nice tool!

Post Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:12 pm
ericmdn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by aldee_
Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Rubix³: Well, no, actually I can't. The tool at its current state is about 2.5 years old, I originally wrote it shortly after the German release of NotR (although the English translation and adaption to the translation mod were done later) and I don't think I'll ever touch it again.

Acleacius: The "retail" NotR tool version should work with G2 Gold as well (as you found out .

Hey aldee good work...

But I have a problem getting it to work with Gothic II Gold Edition. Everything works fine until I get to the the "questxp" multiplier. I have been able to get it to work.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 7:04 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

ericmdn,

This is odd, since I am also using the G2 Gold edition and I have been able to use the Customizer just fine -- even the questxp setting (as I mention above).

Unless aldee_ has some ideas, all I can suggest is deleting and reinstalling the Customizer and see if that helps. Also, be sure you have the latest and greatest level of the Customizer.

Post Sat May 06, 2006 4:50 pm
aldee_
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, in fact I do have an idea. There's a bug which results in certain settings not being modified when first using the tool. This occurs with all versions of NotR. It should go away if you press Apply twice and it also should only occur once. Sorry, no bug fixing or additional features, the code base is from 2003 (except for translations, which were done in 2004) and I won't start patching now :-).

imposteraz: Glad you like it :-).
Post Sat May 13, 2006 11:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4