Should I buy this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Paladin1124
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Should I buy this game?

I've heard some complaints about it being too linear, which has me wondering whether I should buy it or not.

I generally like alot of freedom in a game, which is why the Fallout Series remain my favorite RPGs. Gothic is a close 2nd. While Gothic gets linear towards the end, you do have alot of freedom in the first half.

So is Arx worth buying, or should I skip this title? Thanks...
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:16 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

I asked this question a bit ago as well. In waiting for Gothic II I needed something to play. I bought this game and have had fun since.

Different that G2 as it's a first person RPG and I particularly don't like that. There are a few bugs but there are patches for that. My cd is 1.13 and I haven't encountered any bugs. I haven't DL'd the patch yet, but I've heard the patch fixes any that occur. Even with the version I have there are a few small issues but I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did.

This game has a great RPGDot site and a walkthrough that helps much. The community is a good one for advice and they're very helpful.

I tend to get used to things that bother me for the sake of enjoying a game. I've really enjoyed this one. Not my ultimate fav, Gothic being my #1, but in the top 10. I will buy the next version if there is one.

It's a nice switch and a good time consuming game. Challenging enough but you always can find assistance via walkthrough or these good people.

Hope that helps a bit. ~T

Also, see my previous post from this forum. They helped my decision.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:59 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, it looks a touch better than gothic. It has very cool sound.

It is almost entirely linear and character development is not a huge factor. Very small world when compared to most crpgs... ever really. Its jam packed full of stuff.
I recomend it though its neat. Very short however.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:09 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Buy It, You'll Love it.

I just finished the game for the fifth time. The game is great fun, and has great replay value. So many ways to approach things and do them, but not in the same game. I just started Gothic as I wait for Arx 2. I think the fun is different but as high. I strongly recommend you download the PDF file offered on the RPGDOT site for Arx. It is the walkthrough, the cheat guide, and the maps and tips all in one. This game is hard to play without using the walkthrough. I felt it was more of a guide. But that is the one problem with the game. If you get off track, you can mess up and have to start over, and there is very little help built into the game. Play a while without the walkthrough, then see if you missed something, then save and move on. Made it lots of fun and still was not frustrating for me. I do love it. Read the forum threads and get new ideas of how to do things in the game as well. Hope this helps.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:31 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

It's touph to give an advice, as there are mixed reactions to this game (just read the forum). However it seems that newcomers to RPG ganre (I fall into this category a bit myself) tend to get frustrated with puzzles, make mistakes in character developement (and Arx does not give you enuf XP to fix the mistakes), etc.. More seasoned RPG players do not make such mistakes, and seem to be the ones enjoying the game an playing it more then once with different characters (and you have to do it, as limited XP prohibites universal characters, and the game is pretty short, so it is easy to have another go at it).

Then there are some bugs and technical problems (which game does not have them?), and design issues (a prominent example is Akbaa stones) that can be all to gether avoided with the help of the RPGDot guide (but in my eyes resorting to these help means somehow spoils the game).

So, is this game for you? I do not know.. Try to answer to which category of players, you belong, and do yourself a favour, try the demo.

Good luck.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:54 am