Game Info Appreciated New to genre
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Game Info Appreciated New to genre

Hey all. I have just downloaded the demo for this game and have to say I'm enjoying it so far, but I have a couple of questions. I'm a huge fan of first person games with RPG elements to them. But unfortunately there aren't many of them. Deus Ex and SS 2 are my favorite games and have played both of them numerous times. Arx seems to be my type of game, however my questions are this.

1. How is the story in the game?

2. I have tried to save games in the demo and it won't let me. Is this a bug or the way it's supposed to be?

3. Does the game get incredibly hard? I tried Morrowind and got in about 13 or 14 hrs. gameplay from it, but to me the manual sucked and doesn't explain how to do things very well. Plus, it's so open ended that I started getting bored as I wasn't sure how to do stuff or where to go next.

4. How long is the game?

5. I am new to traditional RPG's and not used to all the stats and stuff. Is there a downloadable guide or something on the web somewhere that explains how to do things? I just bid on the game on Ebay, but it comes only with the discs and no manual.

Thanks very much for any replys.
Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:34 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

First things first. Welcome to the Dot. You found a great board for finding good RPG's and getting help, IMHO.

Now as for the demo save's. I don't know if it was a bug or not, but I know others have complained of it. Plenty of save slots in the real game.

The story to me was pretty good. Left a lot of questions unanswered for Arx 2 to fill in. lol

The battles and some of the later quest puzzles are hard, but not overly so. I also lost interest in Morrowind. Arx is pretty straight forward and total gameplay is only about 40 to 60 hrs if you search all over and do all side quests. Longer if you die a lot like I did. LOL

I would suggest you go to the Arx Hosted Site here at the Dot and get the PDF file. It is the manual, a full walkthrough, all maps, and all your stat info. I have to say I never pay a lot of attention to all the stat stuff. Just enough to have a good character to play the game with. This one gives you good instructions as to how to build one. One bad part of the game is that the ingame directions of what to do next or where to go are not great. Another reason to DL the PDF file. (Find it under support files.) If you get stuck, look it up.

Arx is a first attempt by these guys. So it has a few bugs. Just be sure you have version 1.17. If not get the patch here in the support files as well.

As for learning general rules for D&D games and stats, post that question in the D&D general forum. I'm sure someone can help you more than I can.

Have you tried getting the game at Amazon.com? I thought they still had it.

Have fun and if you need anything else, just post. Again, welcome to the boards.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:05 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the response. I just finished the demo and although I found it a bit short, it's something that definitely peaked my interest. I do have a bid right now on ebay and if I can't get it there, I found I can pick it up at Amazon for $19.99 which is something I will do for certain if I lose the bid. 40 to 60 hrs of gameplay to me is amazing, as I have mostly played FPS games which I usually finish in under 20 hrs. That's the thing with me right now, I'm sick of just shooting and blowing stuff up and figured I try something different for a change. I'm going to go DL that PDF file now, and thanks again.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:05 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Your welcome. While you wait for Arx you might want to try the Gothic demo as well. You can find that in the Gothic gallery, special, I believe. If you like Arx you should like Gothic. Much larger game than Arx, but a deep storyline you have to follow. Pretty big world, but your goals keep you going in one direction at a time, not like Morrowind at all. Hope you enjoy the full game of Arx. I replayed it several times, as there are many ways to do what needs to be done, and you can try different skill types as well.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:22 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Again, thanks for the reply. I tried Gothic, but I couldn't even figure out how to pick up a weapon, and the third person controls felt very sluggish to me. Maybe I'll try it again, and try to use a little more patience with it. It's really that good huh? I've heard a lot of good things about it, but as I said I'm new to these kinds of games and I guess not the brightest star in the universe. LOL!

It took me over 1/2 an hr. just to figure out how to cast a spell in Arx, and finally got it by trial and error! Thanks for the info about the PDF file. I just downloaded and looked it over and it looks very informative. My bid on ebay is still good at 3 bucks with a little over 6 hrs left, so hopefully that will work out. Thanks again.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:07 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Hope you get it. As for Gothic, I think everyone who really wants to say they play RPG's has to play Gothic at least once. It really uses the memory, so if you don't have lots of RAM that may be the problem. Check the FAQ in the Gothic forum on specs and things. Anyway, have fun with Arx, and don't feel bad about the spell casting. It is a totally new system and a little touchy. Most people had trouble with it at first.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:15 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I started not as long ago with Arx and it really sucked me in to gaming again
for gothic: the controls are weird at the beginning but well when you get used to them they are great, now I think gothic has one of the coolest copntrols of all games
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:52 pm
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Again, thanks for the replys. I just won Arx for 3 bucks on ebay so I'm pretty pleased about that! I'm going now to try and find the Gothic download somewhere other than Gamespy. I don't know why but it just annoys the hell out of me when they make you wait for over an hr just to download a demo. I've also been keeping an eye out on Vampire Bloodlines. That looks to be right up my alley, as it's what I believe an RPG/FPS hybrid using the Half Life 2 engine, sorta like Deus Ex or SS 2. I'm sure I'll be talking to you folks in the near future when I start Arx, cause I have a feeling I'm going to be very confused in the beginning. This seems like a good forum where people are actually intelligent and I can ask questions without being flamed by others because I'm a noobie. Thanks again.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums.
I would say you shouldnīt bother with the Gothic demos. You can buy Gothic 2 everywhere for 10$. If you like "Euro style RPGs" (yes, thatīs how some people from the US call them ) there isnīt much risk in it. Enjoy Arx and then you know more.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:27 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Gorath is probably right about the demo for gothic. Gothic has been around a long time and seems some have a hard time finding it. Amazon links through the Dot are good. I have bought a few games used and had good results. Just use the ones with hige volume and high ratings.

As for this place and flaming, it does happen, but it is discouraged and the Mods here are great at stopping it. You will find this place is for mature acting people who want to help each other. No question is considered too silly. We ask people to use the search feature and try and find what you need first, but if you can't, we are all glad to help. Have fun.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:11 pm