Character Creation Woes
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Character Creation Woes

Okay, I'm having real problems with character generation in this game. Many things just don't make sense to me. The manual is frustratingly concise, displaying tables of data and details about durations, weights, skill checks etc, without saying anything about what it all means.

Why do so many weapons seem redundant? For what reason would someone choose to use a dagger, for instance? It can't be for saving a few pounds of weight, can it?

From fiddling with magic-wielders, I tend to run out of spells half-way through the first battle, and have to go melee to finish things off. Why bother, then? Why not just use a fighter who could have finished the battle in three blows?

I tried a Rogue/Shadow Dancer combo. I can sneak around without being seen - that bit works. But even taking my time, picking my target carefully, attacking from the back etc, I can't get a single-hit kill. So again I'm deep in melee.

I must be missing something here. Anyone know where I've gone wrong?
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:41 am
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I couldn't be bothered to read through the manual, but luckily RPGDot pointed me to nwn.bioware.com and their 'character builds' - guides to build powerful chars, from the level 1 to 40, including explanation why certain skills were picked, what are the advantages, etc...

I realize that this is not an answer to the question you asked, but I figured you might find it useful anyways

http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/character_builds.html
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:14 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

mages, are a bit understrengh in lvl 20-40 all they really get is epic spells, which are nice but only one time things, my advice find a world that put them on the top, like stormcall for instance, which has them on hte top of the food chain when they are buffed and rested and way down after they run out of spells:), after all a lvl 1 warrior is a guy who swings a sword, a lvl 40 warrior is still swinging a sword he just does it very well, a lvl 1 wizard has a few spells, but theortically a lvl 40 wizards, can summon demons and open doors to other dimensions, you do the math...
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:58 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Mages are a lot underpowered in the game, especially in the beginning but that's the way of mages in NWN.

As far as weapons go, most weapons does seem redundant to me, I rarely use most of them. Still, it is a choise for the player that tends to role-play his/her character, as opposed to just whack him on the head with whatever he finds. Furthermore, usually each weapons needs a different feat for the character to be proficient in it, and nobody can specialize all weapons (that would require way too much feats), so it is necessary for the character to choose early. A small tip -> A character with high dexterity (A rogue, elf, etc) may choose to wield daggers, since daggers are small type weapons and with the feat Weapon Finnese they may use their Dex bonus instead of their Str bonus.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:23 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

As a begineer go with soreceress if uwant arcane magic
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The various types of weapons can add various advantages to you. However, some choices are just plain dumb. You'll want a weapon that will compliment the type of character you want to play. If you play a barbarian, then you'll want something that'll give you maximum damage so you can take things down fast since your AC is low. For rogues, you'll want little weapons like rapiers or short swords so you can take advantage of dual-wielding with less penalties and weapon finesse. For wizards and sorcerers, their weapon is their magic, but I'd take an elven wizard or sorcerer so I can use a longsword or longbow without having to take an extra feat. It's all about picking what's right for what you want to play. After you get used to doing that, then you can start branching out into the more exotic stuff. Just keep it simple for now.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:47 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

a q here.I had dwarven defender and a wepon master in one dunno the lvls now and i was using katan but i couldnt get past critical 15-20
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:55 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Katanas have a normal threat range of 19-20. Improved Critical doubles the weapon's critical threat range. If it's Keen, then the threat range is doubled. It'll stack with Improved Critical to effectively triple the threat range. At level 7, a Weapon Master gets Ki Critical, which adds +2 to their weapon of choice critical range. Those are the only things that would increase your character's critical hit threat range, which adds up to 15-20.
Feats like Overwhelming Critical and Devastating Critical are different. Overwhelming gives you bonus damage and Devastating means that the opponent must make a Fortitude save or be killed.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:17 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

so wich wepon can get lower then that like 13 or less
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:27 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I believe weapons with a base critical range of 18-20 will have a modified critical range of 12-20, so that's Rapier, Scimitar and Kukuri as far as I'm aware.
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:13 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

well that sucks.I hate it that fists cant get below 19
Post Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:09 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thank you for all your responses! Things are becoming a bit clearer...

The Epic Character Builds are very interesting, and are providing me with much useful info. I've discovered there's a character build section on the official NWN site, but as their registration system seems to be broken, I cannot get in.

I still don't understand how non-melee characters can survive in NWN, but will keep investigating! Do they rely on scrolls and items to take over once their daily spells are spent?

I'm giving a rogue-type character a go, to see how he fares. So far he's very weak and doesn't do much damage, but I'll persist!
Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:41 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, wizards and sorcerers do have access to henchman that they can hide behind in the official campaigns. At low levels, they tend to be very vulnerable and have to use buffs spells that increase their AC, or make them harder to hit, or polymorph into something that can take a hit, or make them move faster so they can stay out of range. An elven wizard or sorcerer could easily fall back on a longbow if they run out of spells, scrolls, rods and wands. The whole point of these to classes is to act as the heavy artilliary. They rain death upon enemies while other classes play interference and keep the baddies' attention. These classes aren't made for melee and they aren't intended to be played that way.

If you like mixing spells and melee, then you should play a cleric, druid, bard or a rogue with a good Use Magic skill rank.
Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:33 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

i hate bards cuz they have arcane magic and have like medium armor that sucks
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:16 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

That's too bad since they can make great Arcane Archers.
Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:40 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next