Developer thread: "Differences between Gothic I and II&
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@gorath:

sascha has already answered your question concerning the balancing, but let me add just another detail:
in gothic I, we created the chapters one after the other, in chronological order. due to our missing experience in scheduling, we spent lots of time improving the first chapters, and only very little time was left for the second half of the game. i bet you've noticed that when you entered the temple, which was almost single-handedly created by sascha in about approximately a millisecond

we didn't make the same mistake again in gothic II, as for the very first time, we started creating the actual content AFTER having set up a storyboard-like concept and a detailled schedule. the story department creates the chapters simultaneously, and thanks to mike and björn who keep track, it turns out to be a consistent story with a consistent tension.

@Evan Green:

1.) deer? no. but as we boosted the amound of detail regarding the flora, the gothic II fauna comes up with some more little things as well. i think i spotted a flock of birds somewhere. and what the heck is buzzing and tickling inside my armor?

2./3.) hey, we're not talking about gothic III here. but i admit it was worth trying
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:42 pm
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

1) will we have to learn how to forge our own weapons?

2) will we be able to make realy good weapons, like with damage over 100 with the right materials?
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:57 pm
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@gothic7:
1.) well, you don't have to, but you can, if you want.

2.) maybe yes, but i'm not really in the know. i think the better your talent is, the more powerfull will your weapon be. but as i said, i'd rather ask mike or mattias for more info.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:26 am
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I know I said this before but it seemed discarded, so here goes again. How will you explain the character loosing all his skills, weapons, armor and magic?
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:55 am
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Gor Na Katarn
I know I said this before but it seemed discarded, so here goes again. How will you explain the character loosing all his skills, weapons, armor and magic?
someone already answered it in an earlier post
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:38 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

from saviour to weakling

@ Gor Na Katarn:

i apologize, maybe we overlooked your first post.
i understand you're seeking for the missing link between the end of gothic I and the beginning of gothic II. i don't want to give too much away, so i'll try to beat about the bush as good as i can

at the end of gothic I, you witness the sleeper being sucked into the portal. the breakdown of the barrier caused an earthquake, and due to the soil erosion, the temple collapsed - with the hero inside.

days passed by, and the hero was buried under some heavy rocks, unconciously losing his strength and skills. his magic armor kept him alive, but it's protective power diminished. when the hero was close to death, he... [break in shooting]

i hope this answers your question at least a bit.

Last edited by KaiRo on Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:02 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I was just playing the swamp mission of Jedi Knight II, and I saw that foliage and most other plant like objects were really only one "picture," set to rotate to face the player. It creates an effective illusion when standing still, but looks very weird when you are moving through it. In some of the screenshots, I notice that G II looks quite the same, but I am not certain. (That's where you come in )
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:05 am
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'll take your word on it. I feel like I am one of the cool kids, I'm talking to a developer!
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:07 am
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

@sauron

Most games are not able to model 3d-grass without killing a few developers or computer systems of the users. The only solution is to make the best damn 2d illusions possible. Much has changed from the old Doom engine grass sprites but the concept is still the same that it seeks the player and they act like the center of attention. Now there have been many ways to acutally make 3d-grass in a 2d way-ish, it's a concept best left to developers and such. Some have just taken a sprite and layed a few into eachother making sort of a plant asterisk our cross from an aerial view that doesn't seek the player but looks horrible. In the 2d grass I've heard some developers go out and take super high quality pictures then fix them up to game quality.

Aswell, you could have some settings set off to make the grass weird like that. I had perfect grass in Yavin, though I could tell it wasn't exactly 3d. If you want to laugh at plant life, try military shooters.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:13 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@sauron38:

hey, do you really think we'd try to decieve you with such doltish tricks?

although not every single blade of grass is a real 3D-model, we don't use any 2D-props. you can actually walk around everything, and it doesn't rotate! really!
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:20 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@Gor Na Katarn:

you're absolutely right, thanks for your detailled explanation. we use those "plant asterisks" as well, and you're right, the illusion is gone when you look from above

our grass textures (created by sascha who - in my opinion - did an excellent job, all those gothic II textures look awesome) are based on real photos... like many of the other textures.

i think those guys from epic (unreal II) will ring the next era in. as far as i've read, each single leaf is at least one polygon. phew...
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:30 am
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

i have another question, sorry if i get annoying, i just can't wait for this game!

will the armor from the different classes protect the same amount of damage. for example:

Mercenary armor
55weapons 10arrows 35 fire

Guard Armor
55 10 35

Templar
55 10 35

will it be the same? or will dragon slayer armor for example protect more than paladan? (or vise versa)
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:40 am
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Cool praise from a developer. I feel so clean. Am I shiny?

I heard about the 3d plant life in Unreal 2. And it's Legend Entertainment developing not Epic, KaiRo. Epic licensed the title for Legend to do the primary developing. Epic's just around for help with the original Unreal order of things.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:43 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@gothic7:

annoying? no way, don't worry. but you shoudn't go into too much detail, because on that level, many things will change in the next weeks. we'll start with what we call the "balancing" in the near future...

i'm pretty sure though that the armors will be different. if i were a dragon slayer, i'd prefer to wear an armor that reliably protects me agains the dragon's fiery breath.

Last edited by KaiRo on Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:47 am
KaiRo
Piranha Bytes
Piranha Bytes

@Gor Na Katarn:

thanks for the info. when i strolled across the game developers conference, i remember one of my collegues pulling me into a well-proteced "tent", and a sign above the entrance said "epic megagames". in that tent, i was allowed to witness a presentation of the unreal II technology. i got a calling card from one of the epic guys, that's why i thought they were developing unreal II. but apparently they deal with the marketing stuff only.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:54 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next