Starting out
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
mgc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Starting out

OK I am totally stupid - just got the game and loaded it. Am I supposed to spend my time walking around in the total darkness in the cell? If so how do I get into the light? Is it me or is it my settings? - probably me! Someone please take pity on me
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:34 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Increse the gamma and maximize fog distance in the video options, it will help it a bit, but be prepared for very dark parts of the game (think of thief games..).
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:08 am
Sir Lawrence
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I worked with my gamma, contrast, and luminosity settings and they have lit me up very well. I've had no need for torches or ignite and can not see that it has interfered with my view in any way that takes away from the scenery. Good luck, I thought getting out of the prision was a bitch!
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:18 am
RazorSharp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

New Player

I just ordered Arx Fatalis and should receive it in mail in another day or 2. After reading these threads, I am ANXIOUS to start playing! I am deep into Icewind Dale 2 (great game) and hope Arx will be fun. Any clues for me to get it running? Thanks.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:36 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Re: New Player

quote:
Originally posted by RazorSharp
Any clues for me to get it running? Thanks.

Hard to tell. It all depends on your style of playing, but I found that I spent too much points developing the necesary skill to pick locks, for example. If something important or crucial is in a locked chest, there'll always be a key hidden somewhere or on someone to open it. If you plan to play a melee oriented character, put points on strength, melee attack and defense. I put many points in ranged attack at the beginning, and I never used the bow: found it useless as most enemies get close to you pretty soon.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:59 am
linkitch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Try reading this, it would really have helped if I knew this site the first time i played...
General information
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:51 am
mgc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In the dark

Many thanks for the advice. Unfortunately nothing worked and I am still in total darkness, I cannot find anything or see anything.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:57 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

??? You mean you increased your gamma/contrast settings and still can't see? Then I believe is a problem with your video card. Only advise I can give is download latest drivers. I played with my settings to the point where I needed torches or candles only in very very dark environments, and ONLY when looking for hidden switches
HTH
Ð
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:17 pm