High Emperor

Darkspace?

whats it about? is it any good?
Post Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:08 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Darkspace
I think you can download it and try it free, the only thing you can't to is gain rank, so your ship choices are pretty limited.

I only ever played on the newbie scenerio server so things may be different in the main(metaverse) server. Also I played back in July(or June, I can't remember which) when they had the free week, so some things may be different and I might forget some things)
IMO, this is the best MMOG with a space setting, it is tons better than Earth and Beyond, mostly because there are no NPC's and everyone is on one of three teams, so for the most part there is no KS'ing, and everyone is pretty nice when it comes to questions. The last thing is what probably would change most in the metaverse.

There are a bunch of different ships that you can pilot though at the begining you have a low rank so your choices suck. Once you break through the first rank or two they come alot easier because you get bigger ships with better weapons.

If you don't want to be a fighter you can be a dropship, engineer, or medic.
I never got into doing these because it's more involved and I wanted to get the most out of my free week. For instance there is a model to work from when building up a planet, and if you don't follow the model then most likely people will tell you your frelling up.

The bad things are the systems are huge, kinda a good thing too but it can get borring if you are traveling a long distance. You have unlimited thrusters but for warp you have a set amount of fuel, it really sucks to get stranded on the other side of the system with an empty fuel tank.

I'd recommend this over Earth and Beyond anyday, I'd actually recommend this over any MMORPG, I actually found myself playing this for hours on end, total I probably played this more in that free week than I played AC in the month I've been subscibed to it.

If you're wondering why I don't have a subsciption to DS, well I really hated the early ranks and don't feel like going through them again, though it only took me one day.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:23 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think in couple of weeks it'll be 6 months that I'm subscribed to DS, so I'll try and shed some light.
quote:
Originally posted by Provis
There are a bunch of different ships that you can pilot though at the begining you have a low rank so your choices suck. Once you break through the first rank or two they come alot easier because you get bigger ships with better weapons.

Hehe... one of my favourite things to do for fun is sit in a Uggy assault scout and go chase after Dreadnaughts. If you do it right, they can't touch you and you can be annoying as hell. Kindda like a mosquito that keeps buzzing by your ear as you're trying to sleep. Few times I've had several Dreads after me in my scout. Don't underestimate the scout. Also, transport ships are a low rank ship and they are absolutely the most important ship in the game.
quote:
If you don't want to be a fighter you can be a dropship, engineer, or medic.

The game generally involves capturing planets by landing your infantry troops on them (generally with transport ships). The planets can then be built upon by the engineering ships. They should be protected by fighters and attacked by bombers. There are carrier ships that send swarms of fighter ships onto the enemy. As well as mine layers that attempt to lay massive mine fields to secure a whole sector of a star system. You can also have an Interdictor ship whose main role is to bring enemy ships out of warp. Scouts have beacons that "stick" to enemy ships and allow you to track them. K'luth (alien race) ships have cloaking technology. All ships can then be repaired and reloaded by Support ships.
quote:
The bad things are the systems are huge, kinda a good thing too but it can get borring if you are traveling a long distance. You have unlimited thrusters but for warp you have a set amount of fuel, it really sucks to get stranded on the other side of the system with an empty fuel tank.

Recent tweaks to the game involved doubling the fuel tanks for warp drive, doubling the speed of warp drives and affecting the reload speed of your warp drives depending on the size of your ship (cruisers take longer to reload their jump drives than scouts).

I find the game to be very interesting, involving and full of strategy. It can be frustrating at times (when facing an overpowering enemy), but is generally quite amazingly fun. 6 months later, I still have a subscription (the longest online subscription I've ever had). I don't play a lot (other games come and go and keep my interest temporarily), but I always come back to DS whenever everything else gets too boring or too lame.

P.S. DS is not an RPG, but rather full blast strategy game.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:22 am