Flight School
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Flight School

Let's start a thread for combat tips. Denote X2 or X3 because combat between them is so different.

X3 - Shields are not your salvation. They protect your ship but are not the main source of ship defense in X3. An enemy pirate ship often sports FOUR alpha plasma cannons... that's enough to take out the shields on a 75,000 shield nova in about 2 seconds of sustained fire.

More than ever moving around is key. You must always be in motion. Strafe doesn't make you invincible anymore... the AI is up to the task of tracking you when you do it... but it's the only way to make it through any greater than one on one conflict with your ship intact.

If you use the keyboard I strongly recommend practicing a technique known as 'barrel roll strafing'. This is where you hold down q or e (the roll buttons) and then something else... w (up), s (down), a or d (left, right). I hold down AWE when I'm in full evasive. This drastically reduces the amount of hits landed against you (I'd say less than a fifth aimed your way will connect).

This is used to fly away from an enemy and recharge shields, or charge an enemy (use it to get close enough to unleash a full salvo, and then flip around and retreat).

I had no chance in the Xenon Invasion mission I did earlier until I really, really took the time to learn how to fly.

And if you fight a pirate with ion-D or phased shockwave... think twice before engaging. These both will knock your shields down. Good piloting doesn't avoid EVERY shot... unshielded you'll end up taking a good 5 to 10% hull beating killing the pests... or more if they combine an ion-d front weapon with a beta PAC turret. Nasty.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:31 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Good thread, Xen. Of course, I won't have anything to add...but I might learn a thing or two.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:16 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

My tip for X3 is dont use the keyboard to fly with. It's workable for non-combat flight, but in furballs .... oh dear me
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:01 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I've been using keyboards in space simulators since Wing Commander.

I tried the mouse. Not precise enough for me. The only time I use the mouse is when using a turret because it's faster to lock on and shoot new targets with. That said... I don't shoot turrets often (just once in X3 before I decided to give up with the plot and play on "Most assuradely hard" (Bankrupt Assassin).

I've thought about a joystick but it's been 17 years since I used on (C64 ... Top Gun flight sim). If it ain't broke...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:18 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Actually, I had meant to say don't use the MOUSE for combat ...

The keyboard is OK, I agree ... but I personally prefer a joystick.
Post Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:54 pm