Movies based on Lovecraft's writings
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Movies based on Lovecraft's writings

Anyone know of recommendable films, either old or new, based on H.P. Lovecraft's writings?.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:17 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm... I've seen some films that claim to be based on Lovecraft's works, but they've all been garbage. I'd be interested to know if there are any decent ones.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:51 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

your right, all movies based on lovecraft up to this point have been crap ... truly sad considering his mythos is one of the most creative works to date.

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:46 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Actually, "From Beyond" is a pretty good flick.
Fair amount of gore and kink, not one to watch with Mom.

Panned by the critics and most people of course. That usually means it's pretty good ='.'=
I got it on VHS for 10 bucks at some ma' n pop movie rental place.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:33 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Hopefully Call of Cthulhu will be a decent game. It looks interesting...

http://www.callofcthulhu.com/

As far as movies I recently watched Dagon. It was garbage. I wish they would make a Sci Fi miniseries just for HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. They could just make 30 or 60 minute episodes set in the 1920s. Making all of his Cthulhu stories into episodes would be awesome if done correctly.

Basically, anything that has claimed to be a new Cthulhu Mythos that I have read is nothing like his writings. His peer pulp-writers RE Howard & Clark Ashton Smith are that good though.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:00 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

In addition to From Beyond, try The Reanimator. It's made by the same company that made From Beyond and has pretty much the same cast. It's an adaption of Lovecraft's short story: Herbert West: Reanimator.

Also try In the Mouth of Madness starring Sam Neill, Jurgen Prochnow and directed by John Carpenter. I've seen this one a few times and I liked it a lot. It's loosely based on Lovecraft's work, and pretty creepy at times.

Finally, there's a movie called Necronomicon (1993). I saw about half of it on HBO one night. The part that I saw tried very hard to utilize the Cthulhu mythos. It was pretty good, especially if you're an HPL fan.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:28 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

There's a movie called Cast A Deadly Spell starring Fred Ward as Detective Howard Phillip Lovecraft, a 40's gumshoe in a world in which everyone uses magic. It's filled with cheese and ends up as more of a comedy than horror but for archival purposes..

Also, every October there is a Lovecraft Film Festival in Portland, Oregon which always has some interesting material.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:35 am
Conan The Librarian
City Guard
City Guard

The film Congo was inspired by the story Arthur Jermyn. Although thats about it, Hollywood does like its happy endings nowadays. So I can't see many of his stories being true to form if adapted to the moving pictures.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:44 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I thought Dagon was rather nice for a Lovecraft-based horror flick.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:53 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Davo
Also try In the Mouth of Madness starring Sam Neill, Jurgen Prochnow and directed by John Carpenter.

Saw this, it was a really good movie. It has some vague Lovecraft references. I liked it cause it was trippy...not because it had anything to do with Lovecraft.

So far, there is not a single movie that captures the spirit of 1920s/30s pulp horror in the Lovecraft style. His stuff was not the cheap modern day blood/sex "horror" which is not even interesting or scary.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:19 pm