FAQ
Members
Usergroups
EEKK!! Nasty save game corruption - please help
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

Yarg! 3 of my 4 save games seem to be corrupted. Here's what happens:

When I load the game, I am in a little green room with a grate overhead. I cannot move or turn at all. I can access my inventory. Now here's the weird part - on my last remaining save game, it works fine - but, when I hit ESC to go to the save game screen, it shows my character back in the litle green room. I'm afraid to save my last game, because it may show up in tha little room. In other words, my remaining save game runs, looks, acts perfectly normal, until I hi the ESC button. Then, it shows the little room.

I tried to MARVIn cheat with the K to teleport my character forward when I'm in the little room, but it doesn't do anything.

Any ideas? I'm already about 7 hours into the game, and I'd hate to have to start over.

Thanks for any ideas.

Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:33 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Something is working terribly wrong on your machine, pal. IMO itīs only a matter of time until your last savegame is corrupted, too.
Try to scandisk and defrag. After that make a fixed, large swap file.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:15 am

)Escaping the 'Dialogue Interrupt' Void
When you get stuck in this odd void (like when mud interrupts your sleep or whatever), the ONLY way to not lose that playtime is to turn on marvin-mode and bring down the console, and put in 'save game 1'. It'll overwrite slot-1's stuff, but not save the picture or the description, but it IS saved. Now ctrl+alt+del and end-task Gothic, restart your computer and load the save in the first slot.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:40 am

quote:

Come to think of it my english is not that good too.(either?)

Some times if you cheat you will go to the dungeon. The dungeon has greenish walls, plus it may have a skylight.

I am going to assume you saved the game while you were in the dungeon, and now you cant get out.
The "cannot see my pg" does not compute.

If you need to get out of dungeon fast.

Hit "s"
type "marvin"
hit "s"
hit f8 to rise out of the dungeon.

Just a pure guess.

Sweet!! This is what happened to me... I was trying to see my frame rate. Hopefully this will fix it.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:59 am

Jukariz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I also had a problem with my saved game. After i saved for a while i could no longer get into the game. Just as it was done loading i would get kicked to desktop with an access violation message. So i started a new game, without erasing my old one and this one works fine, other than the occasional crashes still. If i try to load my first game i get the access violation error. So i just keep the old game on there but i just dont play it. Got about 5 hours of play time now and no access vilation on my new game

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:16 am

One of my savegames got corrupted, I have no idea how, but when I load it, the camera placed sort of a few feet over my character's head and the mouse no longer functions, meaning, I can't move the camera! Plus, my character seems to walk real slow now, like he's in "sneak" mode or something.

SO, it's really weird, cuz all I have to do is press the "[" (or maybe the "]") key and it resets to normal. Very strange. Oh well, everything is fine, no crashes or anything. It just starts out that way every time I load it. I'll have to try saving to a different slot and then re-load to see if it still does that, even though that's the only thing wrong with it.

Try hitting some of the keys, maybe it will fix something.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:01 am