Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yes it is a great game.

Shame the advertising campaign is so retarded
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:39 pm
PanZer[Jolt]
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Time for me to drop by again...

We are aware of the negative impact of the Fable ad...we don't enjoy watching our users squirm through it day after day. It will end - the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train honest.

There's nothing we can do until it has servered fully all the impressions we are contracted to deliver ;-( You really can help get rid of it quicker for all users by not disabling it...I know the how some of you feel and that this may not be an act of alturism you want to deliver on, but, it is almost Xmas and suffering this ad is for the greater good of the whole RPGDot community.

PanZer
Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:59 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

To be honnest, I'm starting to be afraid that it wasn't an error :-[.
Probably I'm not the only one, who see slow negative tendency - less users, less posts, less topics...
Give us several more agressive adverts and we can close this forums = no more adverts.
I really can't imagine anyone who would tolerate one-popup-per-click site.
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:24 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

One man noted for his great work/theories was Pavlov (Pavlov's dogs) - during his tests, he would give his dogs tasks and on completion he would reward them with treats, sometimes he would not reward them and they would go mad and rip the furniture to pieces! - subliminal manipulation in the wrong hands is dangerous, subliminal suggestion is an infringement on a persons soul, it is the rape of mental freedom!

1. Subliminal suggestiveness is immoral, it is also parasitical (one which lives off the body of another)

2. The fable game is for the x-box, all members of rpgdot have pc-machines (yes some have x-boxes) - it would be only logical to suspect that the fable ad is to "lure" more pc owners to x-box.
This is out and out "poaching" of gamers into another format.

3.Rpgdot does not support non-pc type games (consoles) or so i'm led to believe. This is "back door" methods by the front door! - my screen!

I do not want to have my intelligence insulted, i will not succumb to this manipulative media encroachment eminating from MY video screen into My friendly home environment.

If the rpgdot members site visit/number fades, then the effects of this which could well contain some latency, will not be realised until some later date - - - (Pavlov's dogs)

Am i being treated in a mature, responsible and honourable manner? - - by all of this "fable ad at every other mouse-click" nonsense, - - time will tell, alone and with the power of my own mind,
- - - I WILL DECIDE - - - ( )
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:07 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ Panzer:

I have no problem with adverts, as long as they are reasonable. I do not block any banners on free sites that provide a service to me (Such as RPGDot).

However the Fable add is obviously very very intrusive, and as such I have blocked it permanently. I do not feel responsible to have this add showing "for the good of the community".

If you were to replace it with a more reasonable banner add then I have no problem with allowing it to be viewed in my browser.

P.S. As I have said many times before. Everyone here needs to use FireFox. If only some of us use FireFox, then its just gonna make the add stay longer for people who arent using it. If everyone uses FireFox, then who cares how long it stays!
Post Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:29 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

Is it just me... or is it now "one Fable ad per ten or more clicks" ?
Nah. I bet I'm just lucky now and that everything will be back to "normal".
Post Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:36 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

@Wulf - a quick note: we do, in fact, support consoles - just not very well. We have long reported about Fable, Jade Empire and so on but we realise our strength is with the PC, so we concentrate on that. The newsteam has *absolutely* no knowledge or interest in what ads run, so our coverage is not dictated in any way by this stuff.
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:01 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Is it me? Is it over? Don't answer that, I want to pretend it is for the moment.

I don't mind that you have to have ads, and I don't feel the need to block them on you most of the time, but this as was the pits. Taking up most of the screen, popping up on every single click of a page, and not being in a popup box I could at least move to a margin of the screen to make us all happy were my big complaints.

If I were just coming to this site for the first time, I wouldn't come back. I wouldn't stay long enough to even find out how good the site was. Adverts are fine, but that was overpowering and overshadowed the good parts of site to the point of being obnoxious and too much work to get around. New people coming here won't take the time to figure out how to block that type of ad, or to close it after every click. Someone really needs to rethink their advertiziing approach. IMHO
Mark Twain
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:32 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

Quickly Cm! Let's read every forum while we still can!
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:41 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

All together, (please sing in a Roy Orbison voice)

"IT'S O'OVERRRRR"

Post Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yeh, and I hope it'll never return.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:23 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I am really glad it has gone, for the sake of personal freedom.

Just laterally thinking for a moment, and in retrospect, the ad-men must have known they could not win by gracefull asking, because:-

1. Every rpgdot member has a personal profile in which there is listed "preferences" - it would not be difficult to include a radio button/dot asking "do you wish to have pop-up ad's" - but then i suspect the vast majority of members would select "no" - many web sites/forums/registration forms have this facility.

2. Offering members to have a poll asking would they wish to have pop-up's would also, i assume, yield a similar result.

It is always "gentlemanly" to enquire first, then accept the answer even if it hurts.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:31 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

O.K. WHO gave that little so-and-so mouth to mouth. Just when I thought she was dead, she got a new spark.

Granted it seems to wear out fast and the health points are really low, but not dead yet. I just hope my not blocking will be a sacrifice for the greater good and we can have the funeral soon.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Originally posted by PanZer[Jolt]
Time for me to drop by again...

We are aware of the negative impact of the Fable ad...we don't enjoy watching our users squirm through it day after day. It will end - the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train honest.

There's nothing we can do until it has servered fully all the impressions we are contracted to deliver ;-( You really can help get rid of it quicker for all users by not disabling it...I know the how some of you feel and that this may not be an act of alturism you want to deliver on, but, it is almost Xmas and suffering this ad is for the greater good of the whole RPGDot community.

PanZer

Rpgdot doesn't deserve this kind of treatment .If i was a new face here and would not know anything about what kind of site this is..I would not be here long, thus you would only lose a consumer and even a possible customer.Besides i can't really understand this sort of strategy.How could any sensible person buy or be even a bit intrested about Fable after such "subtle marketing". I do not normally care to take any effort to block adds as they don't jump on my face like this.I can allways skip them while reading newspapers, or mute the voice if watching tv or just don't even bother to read them if they are banners.Fable however hits on everyone's nerve.

Anyhow i know its not the good time of the year to whine.Furthermore i do not even know could you personally effect what kinds of adds they throw, so do not take it personally man.I know you will do your best.It was merely an observation of mine I''ll just wish Merry xmas to you!
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:14 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Well I was already so brain-washed that I started to like it. My hands now start to shake everytime it should appear, I just need to click that ad away, but it isn't coming... aaahh

My best christmas gift.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:54 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next