Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Heh, crime doesn't always pay, people.
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:11 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah the trademeet quest is indeed one of the few quests where you can be evil and still look more intelligent than a _me smack you to goo_ ogre
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:30 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I just like casting protection from evil and then summoning a Pit Fiend in the inn, town square, docks... anywhere really.

Burn baby burn... disco inferno...!

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:51 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

which is very much and such, but you only get 5 times 14 xp for the people and maybe 50 gold as loot
While with the ´good´ approach you could get a little quest and get loads of items xp etc. Thats why i think this game is hardly designed for really evil gamers
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:22 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nope, it's not designed for the truly cruel people who like killing children etc, but really, when was killind a kid as rewarding as killing a big, ancient, evil demon/dragon with tons of treasure?

A few quests can be done to keep up the evil reputation, and kill a few goodguys, but the "slaugher-type" of character will miss out on a lot, and that's okay by me. Killing farmers, children etc shouldn't be very rewarding. Noone would want to pay you for something like that, nor do they have a lot you can loot from them, and XP? For killing someone who is defenceless? I don't think so, hehe..
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:03 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes and always when i play evil i still want to do every quest, even if the only way of solving the quest is good (slavers, tanner, umar hills etc). so after completing some quest i always have to kill a peasant or two in order to keep my reputation in the evil regions
Post Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:04 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I do the same myself, but in contrary to you, I don't kill any innocents either. I just end up being neutral whenever I try to play evil, hehe. If you miss out on the tanner quest, the slaver quest etc, you miss a lot of XP early on, which is very bad.
Post Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:36 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The BG games were designed more for a good character (especially BG1), the evil is ok for a bit of fun on an extra playthrough.

Try the Fallout (and maybe Arcanum) games if you want to play it as you want.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:08 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Actually, if you truly want to be evil, play ToEE.
And the BG series were obviosly not designed to be played in a truly evil way. otherwise, I would be able to leave Imoen to Irenicus or sth like that and side with the Shadow Druids and rip the hell out of Trademeet.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:01 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Valid points Lady Armageddona. I was thinking similar things at a few places in the game. They obviously had to just limit it to keep within a reasonable time and budget, and just focus more on the good aspect. At least they tried harder in BG 2 than BG 1. The human skin coat, and so on. Still great games though.

Unfinished Business is a good addon/mod for that game. You've got to love those mod groups.

Planescape: Torment allowed for some pure evil that managed to surprise me. I'll not put any spoilers in of course. Just in case.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:15 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just in case i will ever be able to buy it somewhere which is very unlikely
but yes, Unfinished Bussiness is just great!
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:59 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I know, that is the reason I have yet to play the game in an evil way. The only quest that has a somewhat sofisticatedly evil solution is the slaver, and the emphasis is on somewhat. Oh, and joing Bodhi. More recently I began wondering why I am able to join only 2 organisations in the game (Bodhi's or the Shadow Thieves), while there are at least 3 more (the 3 more being the Cowled Wizards, The Most Noble Order of The Radiant Heart and the Harper). There are many reasons why I would not want to join these organisations, but, hell, there are plenty reasons why I would not want to join the Shadow Thieves (they are thieves, for god's sake, why would my Paladin want to join them?).
Also, I am wondering why the only available romancable male NPC is that log of Anomen (I really hate that guy after playing with him once).

@Maylander - the best cleric in the game is Viconia, her only run down her exceptionally low strenght, but that is easily overcomed - a belt of hill giant strengt is easily accesible. Anomen on the other hand, has, for a beginning an incredibly low Wisdom score (12 if I am not mistaken) and unless you complete the murder of his sister quest in a lawful way, so that he joins the Order.
Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:59 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

"Evil is all about being selfish ... sadistic is merely an aspect, a power trip, and some would say a perk.

There's nothing wrong with doing a 'noble' deed ... in fact there's plenty that's right with such a stomach-turning act. It allows you to escape notice by the militia, puts people at ease with you, and shifts suspicion when the bodies start showing up.

Realize that you're doing it for the power and not for its own sake.

Besides, there's nothing stopping you from doing everything a person wants, taking them for all their worth, and then stealing or killing them for the REST. Betrayal is a very tried and tested strategy.

Take the Trademeet for instance... fair enough. I poisoned the groves, reported the deed, got my reward, and then burned the town to the ground anyways. What did I care for the gnomes long term selfish ambitions as amusing as they were? He was the first to die after I had collected my pay.

Good will always triumph in the end ... evil just gets to make the story in between as miserable as possible. It's doing good a favor, really ... the greater the slain evil the better they look..." - Dakez of the Darkblood, Son of Bhaal

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:05 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Whaha very nice roleplaying there, EverythingXen
Uhm you WERE roleplaying weren´t you?

by the way i dont kill peasants because i am sadistic but just because i don´t want to hear the wannabe evil archmage Edwin saying: could my opinion of this group drop any lower? evidentely so... when i am playing an evil character
Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:15 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My most memorable characters are evil ones. There are some acts I won't have a character perform no matter what so they usually end up with a twisted sense of honor.

Why do I like my villains so? Possibly because in D&D I end up running a game 9/10 times and so I spend a lot of time playing villains... possibly because I find their character to be deeper (except the 'die in the first encounter gasping that their master will avenge them brainless goon' minion archetype).

It takes some serious ambition and psychological flaw to vow to wipe out all life on a planet, rule the world, raise a dead evil god, or any of the other classics. "For power's sake" is the most commonly used reason behind any of this ... but other reasons can be far more interesting and thus memorable.

As an example in my last campaign there was a lich sorcerer who actively hunted and destroyed wizards that reached a certain power plateau. He'd appear, blow up whatever town was unfortunate enough to contain said wizard if needed, and move on. The players thought it was because he wanted a monopoly on arcane power, was on a power trip, or was just a jerk for the longest time.

At the end of the campaign it was revealed that Wizardly magic (which twisted the arcane forces of the world and constrained them) was actually destabilizing the world they were on (sometimes a field would take two days to cross; in other places a thousand miles were covered in two days march). This lich, in life, had warned the researchers who had discovered how to duplicate Sorcerer powers in people who had no innate magical tie to the world of this very effect... four thousand years ago when Wizardry was born.

He went from being this pitiful and malicious bully to a man who turned to the dark powers to save the world he loved so much. The greatest twist? He had been doing it so long that even he had forgotten the true reason until confronted with the truth (discovered in a memory crystal record of the very first Council of Magic in a dragon's lair - turns out his father had sat on the council).

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next