Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
MW homepage screeshots look different then my game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Torm

MW homepage screeshots look different then my game?

I just wanna know if anyone else has noticed this, the screenshots on the Morrowind homepage looked different/better then they do on my system? Such as the lighting seems to be much more colorful (im running at 32bit ) and the user interface is different (like hp bars and whatnot, more colorful as well) Hell, even some of the armor texturing is different (such as some imperial guards and Ordinators) I can tell the diff between resolution/fsaa settings, but im talking about acual graphic capability. Is there a graphical difference between the Collectors Edition and Regular edition?
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:00 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There is ofcourse not difference between this two versions.

I have several ideas about this difference:
- they took it from some pre-release version and changed several things after that (HP bar)
- they alway use best of best PC to take screenshots to show how perfect this game is (this is normal)
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:59 am
Torm

I have a geforce 4 with AMD 1.2g. graphiclly the games should look the same, but *perform* differently. im sure they put it on a 2g with a ge4 ti4600, but that doesnt make the textures and/or armor structure different on some models.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:33 am

Torm

its not that big of a deal, but I was just mainly concerd if there was a graphic change in the two diff versions, but since theres not doesnt matter too much though I would like the lighting to be as colorful as their screens...
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:35 am

Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by Torm

the screenshots on the Morrowind homepage looked different/better then they do on my system? Such as the lighting seems to be much more colorful (im running at 32bit ) and the user interface is different (like hp bars and whatnot, more colorful as well) Hell, even some of the armor texturing is different (such as some imperial guards and Ordinators)

The screenshots at the official site may not be original. Usually they will be rendered to produce a better result to "wow" the audience. Just my speculation.

Edit: correct missing quote tags.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:07 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Beo
quote:
Originally posted by Torm

the screenshots on the Morrowind homepage looked different/better then they do on my system? Such as the lighting seems to be much more colorful (im running at 32bit ) and the user interface is different (like hp bars and whatnot, more colorful as well) Hell, even some of the armor texturing is different (such as some imperial guards and Ordinators)

The screenshots at the official site may not be original. Usually they will be rendered to produce a better result to "wow" the audience. Just my speculation.

Edit: correct missing quote tags.

Yes, this is what I ment.
With best of best PC I didnt speak about 2Ghz P4 with GForce4, I spoke about lets say some 8 procesor server with some proffesional graphic card.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:19 am
Torm

Ah your talkin about the 'supercomputers', I gotcha. thats such crap though, morrowind is the only game ive ever had that acually didnt look as good as the screenshots, and they make it run not-so-great to boot.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:28 am

Not only do they not look as good, the screenshots actually fabricate scenes that will never occur.

There is when screenshot where a gondolier is boating you through the canals of Vivec. This will never happen in the game... EVER. It was just rendered to generate excitement.

This sort of practice seems really unscrupulous to me.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:24 pm

Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Not only do they not look as good, the screenshots actually fabricate scenes that will never occur.

There is when screenshot where a gondolier is boating you through the canals of Vivec. This will never happen in the game... EVER. It was just rendered to generate excitement.

This sort of practice seems really unscrupulous to me.

That unscrupulous method is as old in video game marketing as pong.

I remember I bought a copy of "Bad Dudes" for NES. The pictures on the box were taken from the ARCADE version. As disappointed as I was in the graphic difference, I still enjoyed the game.

Boost the saturation in your monitor, and morrowind will look more colorful. They took out the condola ride, and possibly the silt strider ride because of the vid lag, and travel impatience among the testers(my guess, that also explains all those teleportation mod CHEATS).

I dont know why you all act so suprised about this issue though. Let it go.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:08 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

When they call it screenshot, it should be screenshot and not rendered picture...
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:21 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

they are screenshots. from a prototype build (source: The Art of Morrowind, supplement to the CE)
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:46 pm
Joey999
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Actually, to be fair, if I'm looking at the same thing you guys are, they don't call them "screen shots", but "game art" or "artwork" or something along those lines. It would be nice if they said something like "from a prototype build" though.

I had the same complaint about Return to Castle Wolfenstein. All the "screen shots" at Gamespot showed these incredibly detailed models, but the ones in the game were simpler. I thought I'd forgotten a setting somewhere.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:21 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Hey, who knows.. Someone might actually make a mod so we can take a gondol ride through Vivec.. or move a floating planmk.. that's my dream. MOVE THOSE DAMN PLANKS!
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:32 am