The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

underrated: Albion

overrated: Morrowind
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:08 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Myrthos: No need for a "shrug" here. If we all had the same opinion or all games were alike, this forum would not be so famous.

I'm not putting PST in the category "bad" game, maybe more like "mediocre", but certainly not underrated. Putting PST in the category "Most underrated" game is for me like saying that this game is close to the best games, but not recognized as one of them, and I just simply wanted to argue against that.

You are right no game is probably better in every aspect compared to PST, but many are 80 -90% better imho
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:25 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Btw, the so much hyped good interaction with party members - well it is not that good. The romances in Baldur's Gate 2 are an example fotr much better charachter interaction.

You can quote me for this opinion too
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:28 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Most underrated and overrated RPGS

KotOR has a strong hype base from xBox players. Same people who are criticizing DX2, are praising KotOR to the heavens. Some even say it is better than G2 or Arx. When you try to criticize KotOR on other forums, you get angry response. However, in reality KotOR is incredibly simple and linear game with practically no interaction with the environment. Only the story saves it from being total crap and makes it playable first time.

G2 and Arx are examples of underrated games. People want action and story all the time, and get quickly bored in making food, picking up herbs, repairing items etc.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:42 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Overated: Morrowind

Underated: PS:T

I never seen or played Albion. Anyone got some links?
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:56 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by pauk
KotOR has a strong hype base from xBox players. Same people who are criticizing DX2, are praising KotOR to the heavens. Some even say it is better than G2 or Arx. When you try to criticize KotOR on other forums, you get angry response. However, in reality KotOR is incredibly simple and linear game with practically no interaction with the environment. Only the story saves it from being total crap and makes it playable first time.

Kotor, I thought woulld be a terrible game simply due to the fact that I hate bioware games as well as Starwars. Luckly I decided to give it a try. At first I wanted to delete it right away after seeing all those spaceships flying around and shooting those gay laser beams, but I forced myself to continue playing. Thank god I did. This has got to be one of the best rpg's I have ever played, except of course, Gothic. If it had a similar fighting setup and like you said, more interaction with the surrounding areas aswell as a midevil setting, it would probably be the best rpg ever made. This game deserves the hype it's getting in my book. Just wish Gothic would get the same recognition. As for being playable only once, thats a load of crap. There are two different paths you can take in this game, that alone makes it worth playing at least one more time.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:18 am
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
As for being playable only once, thats a load of crap. There are two different paths you can take in this game, that alone makes it worth playing at least one more time.

There isn't much difference between Dark and Light paths. All dialog options and quests are still same. (even in the end of game, you can finish it dark way even you are light.) You only get dark or light points depending on if you behave good way or bad way, e.g. kill a slave or free her. On second play, kotor is quite boring since there isn't any surprises in the plot any more, and all side quests are easy to find and solve in the first game.
Character classes in KotOR don't make actually any difference. I played it first time with scout/counselor, and had a figher/guardian in my party. Now I'm playing it with dark fighter/guardian, and I have a scout in my party to do hacking and repairing. Looks like I'm not going to finish the game second time...

Gothic and G2 are significantly different depending on which camp/guild you join.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:37 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I think that KotOR is really too much overhyped, too.
As far as I gave seen so far (I haven't really played the game ... yet) it seemes to me too much like NWN, which I did't like much, and I think it is overrated as well.
Did I ever mention in the underrated section Arcanum?
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:26 pm
RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Overated: Morrowind

Underated: PS:T

I never seen or played Albion. Anyone got some links?

www.the-underdogs.org
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:59 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I agree that KotOR is overhyped. I've only just started it but it's a bit simplistic for my taste. Where it succeeds is with high production values - which people seem to prefer over depth, these days.

Underrated: Arcanum. Had it's flaws but it's one of the best games in the last 3 or 4 years.
Not sure that it's underrated but should have sold better: PS:T.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:34 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I think that PS : T sold quite well. I think that I somewhere round here read that it sold 300,000+ copies. I think that that is quite well.
Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:12 am
Dwango
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Actually, sales of Planescape Torment are over 60,000 units. Here is an article with the estimated figure:
http://www.gamespy.com/legacy/articles/dnd1_a.shtm

-Dwango
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:16 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Underrated: Fate - Gates of Dawn; I guess it was the most complex CRPG ever ... I guess that was over ten Years ago ... (Up to 28 Characters to command (you could control 4 parties at the same time), 12 Races, countless Classes ... all needed Food, Water and Rest ...)

Overrated: Neverwinter Nights; out of the Box it's plain boring, although it turns into a Gem after you install a Lot of Costum Contend.

I think the Faults of Dungeon Siege and other "mainstreamed" CRPGs are pointed out at good RPG-Sites.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:36 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Under: Descent to Undermountain

only kidding, it was horrible.

PS:T - certainly not underrated critically, but I think it deserved more sales. I think it's a fantastic game, amazingly well-written and complex, and the lengths the developers went to ensure it could be played with many different approaches and personality types are awesome.

Overrated: Diablo - I know it's a long time ago, but I still cringe at the memory of all those "RPG of the Year" awards it won. It's not an RPG, it's Gauntlet.

and Morrowind - I hate to criticise this game, because it was so obviously a labour of love for Bethesda, but I just think they focused all their attention on things that, while technically impressive, did nothing to benefit gameplay.
Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:14 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

*sigh* Just as its predecessor, Gothic 2 has become an extremely underrated game here in the U.S. With mediocre sales and bad (and stupid) reviews, Gothic 2 doesn't get what it deserves. I really hope that Gothic 3 will be released here.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:20 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next