English Subtitles text for German Gothic 2 Demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

English Subtitles text for German Gothic 2 Demo

I noticed that the subtitles data can be translated and displayed in English. Turn on the sub-title options. The speech is in german, but the words text are in English. I tanslated a certain amount already up to the castle conversation...files are OU.csl and OU.ini.. annotted in English!

Other option in game...yes more blood in Gothic 2 .ini file. No cheat random lock combinations can be enabled so you can no longer just reload and realy must get the lockpicking skill, enable hot key for health and mana potion to drink fast...even change size of inventory display , alot of stuff.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:44 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Are you saying that you're working on translated (English) subtitle files? Or that these files are already in the distribution? I presume the former. If so I for one would be very interested in the translated files... are you planning to upload them somewhere? And thanks! Just started the demo, and got killed by some bandits, having apparently said the wrong thing.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:26 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Are you using an automatic translator? That file is over 5 Meg.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:38 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

No. Automatic translators really do not get the complex meaning of German sentence for the most part. I noticed in the data files there are files with thier English transcripts along with the in-game German text. Very odd.

I am trying and did change the text to see if it will show up in the game as a subtitle, I tried the ou.* files but will not show up in the game - so now I am trying to edit the ou.bin file and found out that wordpad saves data in a odd way (delimiters) so I am going it again with a Hex Editor to direct write the text in.

Maybe someone with more computer skill experience can take a look at this. It has ALOT of text, but I do not think most of it is used in the demo.

The English text is done....just they are waiting for the English speech WAV files to go with them....you could use your own voice recorded into a microphone into a WAV file, rename it and compress it in...alot of work.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:30 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Interestingly the names of the .wav files are in English and seem to be more or less the translation of the German text, minus spaces... so replacing the German text strings with the .wav filenames would give you a pretty good translation...

On the topic of interesting .ini settings, I like this one: "zDontSwitchToThirdPerson=1". This lets you fight in 1st person. The comment says it's unsupported, and I can see why: you see your weapon swinging in front of you, but no hand! I still prefer this mode, though.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:54 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

When your done translated please send the files to me.

Gothic II Credits
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:16 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Translation is not the problem, I have that done. They are even sitting thier with the german subtitle lines.

I ran into trouble to force the text from writing german to writing english. This way with subtitles enabled, you can understand what is being said by reading the words.

Of course this ruins it for me, but many other would enjoy it and makes a half-way English Demo. More people it is exposed = better for jowood and gothic 2 sales.

I do not know why it keeps putting back the german text even though I am substituting english text. I believe it must be encoded in enhanced ASCII form right before the statements and need to Hex Edit the strings in. (Hard)

Anyone know more about C++ ?
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:34 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I don't know much about hex editing, but I do know that binary files expect to know exactly how long each string is going to be before it is encountered... so even with a hex editor you may have to do more than substitute strings...

Since you've already done the translation work, though, perhaps you could just dump it into a Word table, sort it alphabetically, and release it as a sort of "phrase book" -- the rest of us could print it out and look up the translations of what people say!

Then again, maybe we should just calm down and wait for the English demo... sigh...
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:46 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I got it to work! English text sub titles.

I got it too work! I can make the english subtitles show up in the conversations!

I used HDD Hex Editor and opened up the file "game.dat" ans searched for a phrase, this on I used when you talk to the bandit. He want to know what you are doing here.

I komme von Xardas = I come from Xardas = bandits kills you.
I kiomme aus den Bergen = I come ( out of) from the mountains.

When he ask you say you: 'I come from the mountains' which I think he means (word means mountain or miner) then the bandit will say some stuff. Your answer

Gut! Geh voran! means: Good! go ahead (we together)! = Good! Let's go!

I got it to say Good! Let's Go! in English as a text! or = "Well! Proceed!"

of course these are the conversation branches and not the other types of speech but it can be done.

After the beta file is modified, just place it in the game.dat, back up you old game.dat.

Later I will translate more, I am only up to the castle. This is only the beta but I want people to have a taste.

Should I post this as a new topic? It needs a bump. Someone will have to be able to host the 5 MEG file that game.dat is. I upload it, and if other see what I do...we can have a English Demo in text except for the voices!
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:43 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Here's a bump. I'd love to be able to download this. Thanks for the work. Can RPGDot host it? (Hmm, hope there aren't any copyright issues...)
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:28 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

you champ

how soon can i get my hands on this ?
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:56 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Slow but surely, some things do not translate extacly at all, that is why you can not rely on the auto-tanslators to get any meaning. Some of it is slang like we use. He says to the bandit "Es hat schon mal einer versucht mich reinzulegen..." (this is to get the bandits quest) A straight translation is practically nonsense thus by what they are talking about and some gues work, he is saying " I have already been taken to the cleaner once. " Basically sayng " I have already been rob once, I am not stupid."

It does takes some time and would give it to people so they can try it out. It is not the whole thing....that may take me until the official English Demo comes out. I would like to be completely finished in a week. It will be more than just the game.dat file there is more to it. Not alot is changed, just the extra stuff in the file.

I am sure there will not be a English spoken demo out until the game is probably very close to release -just from mesing around in the files. Time is the fire in which we burn. Like money, never enough of it.

I hope this project of mien MOD is not in vain, es will have a limited shelf life since English game is coming in 2.5 months, or so. If it goes faster (I am learning fast) I will have something fun for you like the beginning to the bandits quest tree structure, next semaine. Then I will go to the Canstanio and the farmer down the road. Then the castle guards...by then the game may be out or an official english demo.

I go back to work on this MOD. Too bad it will be worthless if they release an English version of demo early (I doubt it) but good for a few months. Hey, I hope I do jowood good. Maybe Gorath and Jaz can read it to see if I got the language right.

Some of the speech is compressed because the text string it limited to no more than the original german space text. Lucky english is shorter most of the time, since some places I had to cut the speech down to "fit" the window.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:56 am
Incendiary Lemon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

your service to the world is imeasurable
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:03 am
Lizzy
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Way to go Xerxes! I would love to download it.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:17 am
GothicFan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I cannot help you, but i hope you can do it.
More people are waiting for this subtitle than you think.
Would you make it downloadable after you've finished it?

Thanx.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:46 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next