Yet another stuttering video thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
poindexter1985
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yet another stuttering video thread

I managed to find solutions to a couple problems in the FAQ and previous threads, but none of the threads I checked addressed the video issue I'm having. I occasionally get an annoying stutter effect when traveling about the New World, where the hero 'jerks' back after every few steps. This usually happens out in the wilderness, not in system intensive areas like cities. What's most odd about it is that it occurs regardless of the framerate, which is usually in the 35-40 fps range. I've even had it occur for an extended period with the framerate never budging from 75 fps (where vsync puts a cap on it).

First of all my setup:
Athlon XP 2500+
Saphy Radeon 9700 Pro
1024MB KHX DDR400
Abit NF7-S rev2 mobo
Windows XP Pro SP1

I normally run the CPU overclocked but have tried at stock speed, it makes no difference. Tried with 3.10, 3.9, 3.8, and I'm not sure if I tried 3.7 Cats. Motherboard drivers are v3.13, and I'm not gonna roll them back for this - if I'm forced to do that, either Pirahna-Bytes or nVidia can kiss my arse, and I think my motherboard comes out as a wee bit more important than Gothic II. I've tried running looser timings on the memory, to no avail. No background apps running interference. Tried with pretty much all settings minimized (yuck). It occurs in 'clean' games as well as those with extensive use of Marvin.

All in all, I'm clueless. It doesn't even seem like it's a video issue as I said at first, so much as a physics problem.

On a totally unrelated topic, can anyone point me to where I can find the NPC/Item/monster/etc codes for use with Marvin mode? I'm off to look for them now, but a quick replier could certainly ease that load
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:32 pm