Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is people's attitude towards custom items?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

What is people's attitude towards custom items?

As the title suggests... I'm wondering what people think about custom made items.

If someone shows up with custom made items, would you play with/against them in MP? Would you use one yourself if a mod presents you with it? Are you a purist and believe only those items that came in SP should be used?

Thoughts? Opinions?
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:01 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I don't really mind. If someone wants to make custom armor for aesthetic value and doesn't make it any better than another item then I have no problems.
For instance, if I made a barbarian character and wanted to dress him in some sort of Conan outfit, then I'd find that acceptable.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:26 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Ì would use custom made weapons if they where offerd to me.
If those weapons are stronger then the ones i have and not to strong to spoil the game, why not.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:27 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Why not make custom items? It's your module so do what you want as long as you don't create stupid dragonslaying flutes and stuff like that.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:20 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by stealth
Why not make custom items? It's your module so do what you want as long as you don't create stupid dragonslaying flutes and stuff like that.

I don't think that's what MoonDragon was implying. I rather think he was asking if you would accept someone showing up with a custom-made item he made himself and using that item in YOUR module where it wasn't designed to be there in the first place.

Personally I will not mind that as long as the said item does not overpower the character in any way, a little like Val mentioned before me. For instance, if he is level 5 and wearing a halfplate +1 that he simply made to look cool with no other strong magic on it, that's fine, I surely won't mind.
On the other hand if someone showed up with a level 1 character weilding a +5 greatsword of dragonslaying (you get what I'm saying ).... erm... no, not in my module my friend. You will just have to earn what you will get in the module you are playing in first.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:43 pm
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Answering the NON MP part...

Well, I believe that custom items add to atmoshpere. If I'm playing a SP module, and get a unique item that has a story and adds to the atmosphere - that's great. I'm also assuming the item is something greater than just a color/look change I'm doing the same in my own modules. I've created a suit of Helmite armor that higher clerics wear. It's Full PLate +1, with acid resis 5, and a silver-blue/red scheme. Now it's not much diff. than Full Plate +1, but it follows the Faiths and Pantheons source book for FR as Everbright Armor. That, I believe, adds to the game. This same scenario would work for MP, given that a priest of Helm needs to be at least lvl 3 or so.

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:48 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

The thing is, you can't be a level 1 char with +5 greatsword of dragonslaying. They implemented an automatic level requirement generation for items, so when you create a powerful item, it will have a minimum level requirement. For example, +5 enchancement will make the greatsword to be min level 15 or so (I'm making the actual number up as I can't test it with this account).
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:46 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Unless you make the item a plot item. They then will have no LVL req. That is why in most all PvP servers, all plot items are removed upon entrance.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Interesting. I didn't know that.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:22 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Custom items indeed add to the game, and I wouldn't mind if somebody brought along some custom items from other modules, as long as the item lvl requirements are kept on and no tweaking has been done.

Infact, some persistent worlds are already implementing scripts and ways for players to create their own items. It will be cool when somebody could first get some ore or different materials, take them to a blacksmith who would make them into a item and then maybe take them to a mage who would enchant the item. Add a custom name and a description and you have your own, unique weapon/armor.

Ofcourse, as the skill needed for a blacksmith to be able to produce items with high enough quality so they can hold enchanting and give basic quality bonuses and a mage to be able to permanently enchant an item, these enchanters and artisans would be rare and they would probably require a large amount of gold for their services.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:16 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm with the crowd here... for aesthetic reasons, yes. For powergaming reasons, no.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:33 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I don't mind if anyone uses custom items if they are not too powerfull.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:32 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
The thing is, you can't be a level 1 char with +5 greatsword of dragonslaying. They implemented an automatic level requirement generation for items, so when you create a powerful item, it will have a minimum level requirement. For example, +5 enchancement will make the greatsword to be min level 15 or so (I'm making the actual number up as I can't test it with this account).

If you put penalties to the item to balance it out, it could drop the item level requirements drastically. For example, I could make a +5 Dragonslayer sword (to use the same example ) that has a -5 penalty to Intelligence. That will balance it out and a level 2 could probably weild it then. And since it's probably a barbarian or fighter that would use such a sword, they wouldn't mind the penalty anyway since such a player that readily uses overpowering weapons are probably not roleplaying They don't care that having an intelligence of 5 means that you can't express yourself through language.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:26 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Actually, last night I played a module where you could do some rudimentary blacksmithing. You could also get meat from animals and cook it over a fire. I was rather impressed.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:32 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Also besides the level limitations there is the overall limit for value, single item
and all equipped items. I think this was done to prevent 'twinking' the practice of dressing up low level characters like Christmas trees. In general I have no problem with custom items, within reason.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:07 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next