Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Sound cards...what DOESNT cause problems?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Sound cards...what DOESNT cause problems?

I have onboard sound on a VIA motherboard, and a SoundBLaster PCI128. Neither were useful (the first crashed morrowind all the time, and the second was only slightly better.) I have sound turned off in the bios now, and a large check waiting to be spent...so...

What sound card should I get? Who has had NO problems with sound fully engaged and what card are you using?

Thanks for the help!

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Fri May 24, 2002 12:25 pm
RickPlexiglass
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hercules Game Theatre XP.

Haven't crashed yet

RP

PS. I do however suffer from other bugs so changing sound card won't fix everything.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 12:47 pm
FlipMoeJack

Safe Soundcard

Soundblaster Audigy works fine. There are however problems with some other games, but you can get a patch for it.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 12:53 pm

7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

SBLive!

Not issues at all Mr.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:00 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

SoundBlaster Live! Value

I'm using an old SBL! Value card and it works great. I use XP Pro so I had to download the XP specific sound card drivers. My old Win98SE drivers caused Morrowind to stutter and crash occasionally. No problems now. Make sure that your sound and video cards each have an IRQ all to their own. This seems to make a world of difference in stability.
Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:05 pm
SirVincealot
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Mayhaps thy problem doth be caused by something other...

I do lay claim to a chipset from the purveyors at VIA and it hath given me much pains! Also, the evil liche William Gates did curse my windows with numerous insects, vicious rattling and the cackling of witches! He then did cover the thing entire with a blue screen of death to turn mine enjoyement into barbarian rage!

Mine own computing machine doth refuse to boot off prope'ly for many a moons, though 'tis the exact same hardware and Window$ Nine-scores-and-eight as ere, when 'twas working perfectly! Furthermore my card of sound, an overly praised Audigy, doth attempt to operate under drivers not fit to ferry an ox-cart 'cross a straight road on a clear day!

All this technology doth be no better than a roll of the dice! Why, MORROWIND doth work *perfectly* on mine here machine, whereas DEUS EX hath so far ignored all o' my pleas to start under OpenGL, again on same machine as when last I did play it!

Best of luck to thee in thine hour of need and may the chests that thou dost find in the dungeons be full of gold
SirVincealot
Post Fri May 24, 2002 7:08 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I use a SoundMax on WinXp and i haven't had any problems

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Sat May 25, 2002 7:18 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Re: SoundBlaster Live! Value

quote:
Originally posted by crpgnut
I'm using an old SBL! Value card and it works great. I use XP Pro so I had to download the XP specific sound card drivers. My old Win98SE drivers caused Morrowind to stutter and crash occasionally. No problems now. Make sure that your sound and video cards each have an IRQ all to their own. This seems to make a world of difference in stability.

BTW: I have windows XP tweaked up the whazoo, and I still get those occasional stutters and 3d sound-related lag when more than 100,000 ambient sounds are playing.

I mentioned the lag caused by those spectral sounds in one of those Ancestral Tombs.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 8:06 am
sphinxlet
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've got turtle beach santa cruz on the 'high' sound quality setting, and havne't had any problems. I had integrated sound on this PC and upgraded for the game. Glad I did!
Post Sat May 25, 2002 10:18 am
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

My Audigy Player is fine, don't have any problems with Morrowind and the music problems I have with EQ are common to all cards and relate to Verant's crap music engine and not the cards.

SirVincealot's problems may be solved by installing a common language set into Windows ! Nice post tho', but a score is 20 not 10 .
Post Sat May 25, 2002 10:45 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Thanks for all the input. Guess as long as it's 'current', a soundblaster will do just fine.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sat May 25, 2002 12:45 pm