Usergroups
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (PC) Review @ CCGR
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

The frothing anti-religious have been and are just as fanatical and wacko as the maniacally religious, and quite frankly, just as annoying.

Now that Ive gotten that outta my system, I guess I now have to talk about the review.

quote:
"Just like Morrowind, the game’s music is great to listen to. It’s in MP3 format too! The voice acting is great and Patrick Stewart does the emperor’s voice acting. All dialogue is recorded which is cool, but on the downside that means that there is a lot of recycling due to DVD and hard drive space constraints. As it is, the game takes 5GB."

I like the music, yet I dont particularly like the musical cues. Approaching danger suddenly transforms whatever nice tune is playing, and the "approaching danger" track plays. I didnt seem to notice this as much in other games as I'm sure it is used. It just seems out of place here, maybe they could have had more general tracks that can encompass both exploration and combat, or pick tracks that dont clash so strikingly.

The 5 GB was a suprise to a friend at work who got the game and has a somewhat older machine @ 40 gigs, almost all full.

As referenced in the review, the common occult symbols such as pentagrams and what not are not to be found in Oblivion, and this actually is a bit different in a good way. They have been overused to the point that theyve sorta become cliche. They once felt arcane and slightly spooky like tattoos and piercings, now everyone and his little sister has one
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:57 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Kalia
You cannot make the blanket statement that ALL Christians feel one way or another since it is neither proveable nor true.

I thought it's clear that I was polemical. In fact, I do know a lot nice, tolerant and understanding Christians.
But: as long they follow a common base, their holy book, Christians *are* predestinated for "blanket statements". The bible's packed with absurdities and the like, IMHO. It's full of statements how to live, what to believe, what's wrong and what's right. Some of those statements I just don't accept.

Yes, I know, there a lot Christians who don't believe the bible to be god's word, but to just be "inspired" by god. Those may feel like not to be spoken to.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:14 pm
Lucky Day

fanatical, maniacle, holy-rolling Christian..?

Hey, that's me.

Its been awhile since RPGDot posted a review from CCRG. This site used to post them all the times.

Its a very good website if you want to monitor what games our coming into your home IMO. They make some important points based on some specific criteria.

In Oblivion the specific problems of graphical gore and references to necrophilia are key ones and it could indicate Bethsoft has tried to slip this under the radar with a Teen rating rather than a Mature for greater sales.

Very likely, it was just indifference on their part and a certain lack of Quality Control.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
The thing I liked about this review was that it separates out the game review from the Christian review. Look at the score given for the actual game (very high like every other site). The review then goes on to suggest things that a strict christian may object too.

In these days of knee-jerk reactions to gaming where many groups are calling for games to be banned I think this sort of reviewing should be encouraged for religious groups and the like

Agreed! That's why I said in my earlier post:

quote:
The first part of the review regarding the actual game, etc. is consistent with EVERY other review on the planet. What sets them apart by their own admission, is the perspective they place on the appropriateness of the game for Christians. Personally, I think it's an interesting twist on the review genre to apply some group-specific commentary in addition to the game review. I don't care if it's a review from a Jewish perspective, a parent's perspective *nods to Gamer Dad*, or a dwarf's perspective. The idea of adding secondary review criteria is interesting. It's a breath of fresh air to break away from the same-old-same-old review system that every other site out there is putting out.

Giving reviews a secondary piece that is specific to sub-groups of people that delineate the actual gameplay and features from the target specific criterion is fascinating and a trend that I hope continues!
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:47 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, Hindukönig, I suppose you'd best start lambasting everyone else who subscribes to a structured tableau of right and wrong whether within a religious sphere or an agnostic moral sphere.

At any rate: PLEASE keep to the topic at hand and not skew this thread any further into a discussion of the merits/demerits of Christianity or any other religion.

Thanks.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:50 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Yeah, calm down. Every review has a rating system, and while the one at this site seems a little bit strange for people that aren't deep into this strict christian thing, it's just ONE rating system and you may like it or not.

And about bashing christians/jews/moslems/beerdrinkers: It's my observation of the world that the weirdos and butts are evenly distributed all across the world, all across all religions, parties, cultures, genders and and and.

Or in other words: In EVERY group of ten, you will most certainly find two idiots. How they call themselves or how you call them is irrelevant, they are just there *g*
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:21 pm
Cabezone
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I find people practicing mythology of any kind, amusing, sad, and dangerous, all at once.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:16 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

How about we discuss the interesting subject - not only did they make a strong stand about the game deserving an M rating, they actually took away score points for things that were non-T that happened in the game. How do you feel about that?

I find that interesting in that when I score a review, I will be all over the game in my 'Kid Factor' about whether or not it is appropriately rated - just in terms of providing information, never for scoring. Dave Long's review, for instance, took the game to task for its' immersion breaking total freedom and things like that, but not for the rating being wrong.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:24 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Well, Hindukönig, I suppose you'd best start lambasting everyone else who subscribes to a structured tableau of right and wrong whether within a religious sphere or an agnostic moral sphere. :roll:

Obviously you didn't understand what I meant.
Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Obviously, by this point, no one cares what you meant. Drop it already, quit being an ass
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:05 am
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
Obviously, by this point, no one cares what you meant. Drop it already, quit being an ass

*spews Diet Dr. Pepper all over the keyboard, mouse and monitor*

I'm sorry but that just struck me as HILARIOUS.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:23 am
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Well, Hindukönig, I suppose you'd best start lambasting everyone else who subscribes to a structured tableau of right and wrong whether within a religious sphere or an agnostic moral sphere.

More than Christianity, and certainly more than the review, I'd identify "wanting to eat your cake and have it" as the topic of this thread. You want people to discuss only the review, but you won't stop responding to each off-topic post with a digression of your own.

quote:
At any rate: PLEASE keep to the topic at hand and not skew this thread any further into a discussion of the merits/demerits of Christianity or any other religion.

You might get better results next time if you lead by example.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:43 am
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Being that I have no moderator authority or any real power here, I'm just an average Joe poster like you, Ab. I have opinions like the rest and, while I'd like to think that the topic would stay on track, I figured it wouldn't so...meh. *shrugs*

I've tried to redirect the thread along with a couple of others, into a discussion of the added 'bonus' to a review when additional information is given with regard to a specific group's particular slant. I think it's a worthy topic and very germaine to this discussion. It doesn't matter -what- group it is, it's fascinating when people review based on what seem to be totally divergent sets of criteria. It's a refreshing change from the typical site review and I'm all for it.

There...nice and on topic, no?
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:15 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
I think it's a worthy topic and very germaine to this discussion. It doesn't matter -what- group it is, it's fascinating when people review based on what seem to be totally divergent sets of criteria. It's a refreshing change from the typical site review and I'm all for it.

It reminds me of the Monty Python skit about the animals taking over the news and John Cleese doing the 'News for Koalas' and talking about 'those yummy Eucalyptus leaves ... yum, yum' ...

Oh crap, need to post on topic ...

I like that aside from the specific 'appropriateness issues' he lays it out there and scores on what he feels, but allows others to just, like with the scaling issue
quote:
Some people praise this change while others will hate it.

I'm still not sure if knocking the score is the best approach to deal with the inappropriate rating. Unfortunately, many people live by 'the number' and check out sites to see if they 'got it right', so they will be on the defensive based on the lower score at the CCGR site.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:35 am

quote:
Originally posted by ikbenrichard
quote:
Originally posted by Hindukönig
Christians are sooooooo ridiculous.

let me refraze that, american christians are sooooooo ridiculous.
sounds almost like those other radical idiots in the middle east.

They all live in their own little fantasy worlds
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:56 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next