NotR - Looking for Master Sword
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NotR - Looking for Master Sword

Hi, I'm looking for a Master Sword for my Dex sword/bow mage to use, anyone know where I can find one?
Chapter 3 and Addon world is accessable
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:52 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I think that Cassia has one. You'd have to knock her down to get it though.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:56 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Martin has one for sale (harbor area).
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:29 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Martin has one, but I'm not sure whether or not he starts using it after some time. Cassia has one, but she's pretty hard to beat up as she's a great fighter, and will(in most cases, unless you get her alone) get help from her friends. There is also one in Xardas' old tower in the Valley of Mines, but that one is guarded by demons. In general, it's very hard to get those swords. I recommend a Rapier unless you have one already(requires 50 dex, and has 100 damage). They are much easier to get.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:47 pm
evil_lemming
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I already have a Rapier witch has served me very well, Martian isnt selling his anymore in Xardas tower? the oldworld? I've killed one demon there could you please tell me were the sword is
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:30 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The one in the old tower is probably the easiest one to get. If you go up the stairs to the second floor, and in the door there, you will meet some small goblin skeletons and a demon. It's not in the first room, but the 2nd, and somewhere there you should be able to find a Master Sword lying about. I think it's to the right of the entrance to the last room in the second floor, on a small shelf.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:47 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I had switch very recently from the Typhon staff to this master sword (found in this tower) and whoo that is improvement! This master sword is the way to go later in the game for a mage that don't pute put everything in mana.

I regret giving up 2H but the problem with 2H is to improve 2H above the Typhon staff seems quite impossible for a mage. If I could have choosed the Beliar 2H instead of those crap Beliar runes (I hope later Baliar rune are more usefull).

I have a few questions about close combat and str/dex:
- How str is used with close combat weapons? I noticed doing stronger hits but is this just random and based on 2H skill level?
- Are weapons close combat rules exactely the same for dex and str close combat weapons?
- Is dex usefull for close combat weapons? I got the feeling to be faster (jump from Dex 18 to dex 63) and then to avoid oponent parry more easily, but I'm not sure at all.
- Are 2H get a damage bonus in comparison with 1H? I got this feeling when I could use both with weapons with similar hit power, but I'm not sure at all.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:24 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

A way to get the Master Sword early in the game

Here's the deal with Martin and the Master Sword. Remember, Martin is the milita soldier in the docks near the Palladins.

The *very* first time you are able to look at Martin's inventory, the Master Sword is there. If you can afford its price of 2400 gold, (which is unlikely if you talk to him early in the 1st chapter), buy it right then.

If you don't then as soon as you end the conversation with Martin, he will actually equip the master sword and it will dissappear from his selling inventory.

At that point, the only way to get it from Martin is to beat him up and take it. What I usually do is beat him up, take the sword, and then cast Oblivion on him.

But there is one caveat to this. If you beat Martin up, then the rest of his inventory is gone forever . Certain spells will reappear at chapter changes, but all base weapons that were there at the outset will be gone.

So, you should only use this method to get the Master Sword if you are sure you will not need any of the other items in Martin's inventory throughout the game.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:54 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

How str is used with close combat weapons? I noticed doing stronger hits but is this just random and based on 2H skill level?
- Strength is added when you crit. Your skill in a weapon is the crit %, so when you have 100% crit, strength is added on all hits.

Are weapons close combat rules exactely the same for dex and str close combat weapons?
- Yes.

Is dex usefull for close combat weapons? I got the feeling to be faster (jump from Dex 18 to dex 63) and then to avoid oponent parry more easily, but I'm not sure at all.
- Dex only affects dexterity based close combat weapons like Master Sword. It affects dex swords in the same way as strength affects str swords. Other than that it has no effect at all in close combat.

Are 2H get a damage bonus in comparison with 1H? I got this feeling when I could use both with weapons with similar hit power, but I'm not sure at all.
- Nope, but you probably had a higher % with 2h, so you crit more than 1h. Also, if you were using a blunt weapon(staff, mace etc) you do more damage against the stone guardians in Jhakandaar, but other than that it is equal.
Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:25 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Thanks Maylander for the answers to my questions (pehaps half out of the subject of this thread ).

One point, it seems you say that for Dex sword the hit bonus is get from Dex not from Str, are you sure?

I think I read the reverse in the forum but perhaps that was onyl about crossbow (ie Str Crossbow use Dex for damage bonus like Dex Bow ).
Post Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:04 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm, I'm fairly certain yes, as I've completed the game with dex only characters, and that would be impossible if dex wasn't added to the melee damage. Not sure about crossbows, but I honestly think they get boosted by strength.

I think it was different before the add-on, but I can't remember. Dex-games weren't really a good option back then, as you didn't have the good variety of dex swords you do now.
Post Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:59 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I dunno Maylander. I am pretty sure that it is always strength which is added to a melee critical hit. This is regardless of what kind of sword it is. (That is, whether the sword has a dex or a strength prerequesite).
Post Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:33 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I am playing the final chapter with Dex, Str, 1H and 2H (don't ask me how I manage my char! ) and that's not clear at all. An artificial test should be done with some cheating and very different numbers and against various monsters (I suspect something there). I'll do one once I finish the game if nobody else do it before.
Post Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:20 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have played just the addon part with two characters, a mage with dex and a mercenary with strength. Unfortunately, I found that the xbow damage is from dex and the mastersword damage is from strength, just the opposite of what I was hoping; kind of messed up my character plan.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:09 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Really? That doesn't make sense at all, and it makes me wonder why I do such good damage with Betty(the best dex sword, 10 damage better than Master Sword). Then again, maybe I should've had even more damage by now. I was wonderwing why I'm still having trouble with heavy armored oppononents.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:54 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next