Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How did you get magic and spells?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

I've played the demo a bit, and I'm pretty lost. What a huge game, even in the demo!

I'm wondering, though, how you guys got to be mages/guards/shadows, etc. Do you have to cheat to get magic in the demo? If so, how do I do it? If not, how did you get magic?

Thanks!
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:45 pm

Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I'll turn you over to FetishFool, our official Gothic English demo cheat code expert. I think if you draw your weapon, run past the guards into the castle area and talk to the mages you can give them the scroll and get a magic scroll in return. Thats about all I can tell you in the ways of magic.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:18 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

While waiting for Fetishfool you can use the search function. Try "Marvin mode", console, gomp, ...
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:19 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Awww, I'm recognized.

For the demo, there are two ways you can learn Magic, and such.

There's the Character Helper. This method is really buggy, and messes up the game.
Example: Unable to draw your sword at times. Unable to sleep. Unable to talk. Damage is either too high, or too little... And the list of problems goes on, and on.

Then there's the ASCII method. This is just basic scripting. It's the way I use, but it does take some practise.
The only problem with this is that the storyline will not edit itself. If you're already a Shadow, people may still talk to you as if you're not in a guild.

I actually recommend that you use the Character Helper. He's easy to use, and if things get too bad, you can always reinstall Gothic-Demo.
Type MARVIN in the Status screen - Default key is 'S'. Then press F2. Then enter INSERT CH . The helper will appear in front of you. Just talk to him. His text will be in German, but it's not hard to figure things out. Depending on what Level you choose, you can become anything from a Shadow, to a Mercenary or Templar.

To use ASCII: Type HERO EXPORT NAME after you press F2. Then ALT+TAB out of Gothic-Demo, to go to you GOTHIC-DEMO/SAVES/ folder.
There, you'll see NAME.ZEN. Just open it with WordPAD. After you're done, save the .ZEN file and go back into Gothic.
Go back into Console, then type HERO IMPORT NAME. Now you're new character will appear.

To become a Shadow with minimal cheating: You need Ian's List. Type MARVIN in the Status screen. Then press F2 and type INSERT THELIST.
Now you have Ian's List, and you may become a Shadow.

Notes: Hero export Name ; Hero import name ; Insert CH ; Insert THELIST ; /Gothic-Demo/Saves/ ; MARVIN ;

If you want to use my pre-made Shadow and Guard character, email me at Kevin.Caitiff@Sympatico.CA and I'll send it to you.

-Kevin

[ This Message was edited by: FetishFool on 2001-10-09 22:23 ]
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 3:17 am