View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
LlamaGod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 Gold Performance

Hey guys

I recently got Gothic 2 Gold for Night of the Raven and i'm having performance problems.

I played the original Gothic 2 quite a bit and it ran near perfectly for me. I did modify things in the INI I remember, but I dont remember what I set them to.

Well, come G2:G, the game runs horribly for me. I have view range at 40%, objects at 60%, every single special graphic effect turned off, model detail at 0 and texture detail 3 away from maximum and it still runs really badly.

My computer is:

Pentium 3 700mhz
512MB Ram
GeForceFX5200, 128MB
Windows 98SE

What could I do to make it run better? (please don't tell me "buy a new computer", thats not what I am posting for)
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:44 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Not really sure what to tell you. Your video card and RAM should be sufficient to run G2 at medium details. I think it's your CPU that's hurting you.
G2 is very CPU intensive, I remember the first time I played G2 it was on a AthlonXP 2400+ and I experienced some crappy performance in certain areas.
It wasn't until I upgraded to an AthlonXP 3200+ that the game ran really smooth. I've since gotten an Athlon64 3400+ and the game runs better yet. Needless to say, a Pentium 3 700 is not going to run G2 smooth.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:46 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The bottle necks are the CPU and the RAM. While the former is obviously completely inadequate the latter should be more or less okay because Win98 wastes less RAM than WinXP.

How old is your windows installation?
Did you install something like Cacheman to organize your memory usage? Maybe 50 MB more free RAM make a difference.
The performance should differ from area to area. The harbour and the first farm are very slow, the woods should be faster. G2 doesn´t scale very well. I wouldn´t be surprised if medium details and resolutions run better than the minimum.
Post Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:31 am