Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Good for Your Elf (Beware Possible Newbie Spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Good for Your Elf (Beware Possible Newbie Spoilers)

Well, I 've finally landed in Vvardenfell and I would have to say that so far the wait has definitely been worth it. Proof, if proof were needed, being the fact that I am typing this at 12:30am, and have been playing since mid evening. That's rare for the Badger.

Remembering that in Daggerfall I played a "Spellsword", I quite fancied an Archer this time round. A man with a bow, who wasn't afraid to use it. A man perhaps who also dabbled in the odd spell, but had a sword for those close up encounters, when only Mr Pointy will do.

A man of honour, who would earn his living without resorting to thievery. Hmmmm well that Aspect at least went out the window within the first hours play. But more on that in a minute.

My Wood Elf (for he was such a creature) arrived of the boat in Seyda Neen after a rough voyage. His mattress had been lumpy, the first class cabins were double booked so he ended up in the hold. The all night disco on deck kept him awake and to top it all off, when he eventually did get to sleep he had the strangest dream...... It had involved eating a Furry Chicken, but he woke in the morning to find that he was chewing a Rat which had crawled into his mouth while he slept. We are NOT talking, a good voyage.

The customs office made him feel quite at home on landing by bombarding him with strange questions. "Hmmmm, we don't seem to have on this form, which race you are... Forms is very important you know.. So they is.. So, what is it then?"

"What is what to be?" Enquires WoodElf

"Which race would that be then?" Repeats customs, as to a small and particularly slow to grasp the concept child.

Wood Elf considers the man for a moment and then slowly runs his hands up the side of his face, to the tip of his pointed Wood Elf Ears.. "WoodElf" He announces.

"I'll just put WoodElf if that's ok" mutters customs and wanders off to sharpen his pencil.

As I moved away from the dock, I finally got to see the water effects, that to date I have only seen in Stills. Rather good aren't they!

So I'm given a task to take a package to Balmora and pointed in the direction of the local transport, called a Silt Rider, which is basically a giant Flea with a hollowed out shell, that people ride in. Apparently, the driver steers the beast by touching the ends of raw and exposed nerves!! What the...... That is so sick. Animal rights are not going to be happy about this let me tell you.

Still, despite the package burning a hole in my pocket, I decide to hang around town for a bit. Talk to some people, see the local colour and kill some of the local wildlife.

Well I'm glad I did! Because although Seyda Neen, is only a two horse town, there is certainly plenty going on.

In the VERY shot time I have been playing, I have already;
# Cleared out a cave of some Bandits and a Nasty old Magician type, who were keeping slaves. Also found some interesting places to swim in there for extra kudos and readies.

# Read some very interesting books, including one that raised my bartering skills and another History volume in which my Character from the last game is mentioned (Nice touch).

# Helped a heavy collect his due, from a weasely Elf who was hiding his stash. (Elves like that give us all a bad name frankly).

# Solved the murder of the local tax collector and brought his killer to justice. (On the end of three feet of my steel... Natch).

All of the above sounds pretty honourable. So how did I fall from grace? Well I stole a key in the customs house, just to see if I could. It was a key to the warehouse next door which had soooooo much loot in it, that I had to make three trips to the store to sell it all!

The proceeds of which, added to all my endeavours above and coupled with a another cool hundred that I ....er.... liberated from a nice lady upstairs in the warehouse. (by going invisible actually....fantastic!) Mean that I am now kitted out in some economy medium armour type threads, and ... If anyone should ask me what I've got in my pocketses.... Well I've got over 1000gp thank you Mr Gollum.

Hang your head in shame Mr WoodElf! But look up long enough not to bump into the door of the bank on your way in eh? Wa-hey!

All in all, very impressed. I have no doubt I will be up early in the morning to have another crack at it. Great Stuff!

Badger.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:35 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

w000000t! i did all of that but find the key... whered you find thaT?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:44 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Nice to see your having a good time in Morrowind, Badger!
Don't let it suck away too much of your life.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:53 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

*stares at a large white spot in the distance. when the morrowind mouse pointer is on it, it says=SuperCowMan24's soul, ours to keep*

"WHAT ABOUT MEEEE??!!?!?!?!"

Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:55 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'm afraid you are already lost CowMan. At least until the next best thing comes along.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:57 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

*thinks to himself*
"GOTHIC 2 COME ON PLEASE I WANT MY SOUL BACK GET HERE FAST!"

Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:02 am

Hi there SuperCowMan24.

After you create your character in the customs place, you go into a second office and talk to an imperial officer type. I forget his name... Bigus Dickus or something like that.

Anyway, behind him is a set of shelves and the key is on the end of one of those. You have to time it just right thugh when you take it, or else he catches you at it and next thing you are doing porridge!

Badger
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:39 pm

Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hello, Badger again. Properly signed in this time.

While I am thinking about it. Does anyone know if I might find a Beastie Book in Balmora? (When I get that far)

I went into a crypt today and was chased out by a Ghost which I naturally enough could not hit It struck me that there will likely be many things that are not going to flich at convetional weaponary, and I have no way to tell what will kill who, how fast, and how much it will hurt.

So, I bet I'll read loads of books as I cross the land, (I already found a handy book on how to mix certain potions) So I wondered if anyone had found a book on tactics with Morrowinds less friendly denizens.

Thanks all

badger.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:12 pm
Dreaga07
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Books

I believe I can help ye with your book delimma. Go to the library in Vivec. Its in the Hall of Wisdom(near the temple). There you can find a book called Legions of the Dead. It will tell you some of the creatures that won't respond to steel. Also look for a book on Deadra, but i forgot its name. And as a good reference for ye, if you can't find a book in the Vivec library then go to Jobasha's Rare books in the canalworks of the foreign quarter. Hope this helps.

=Member of The Sixth House=
=Member of The Non-Flamer's Guild=
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 11:35 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

if you get a magical sword, then you can hit anything, just, find icarius, he has a magical long sword, or in the level 6 quest to totally nueter the cammonna tong (actually just wipe them off the face of balmora, sort of) a lady there has a NICE sword, pierce does 4-18 damage, magic is 3-7 poison. VERY nice, i still used that sucker for a good long while, didnt find much better for a good long while...

Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:59 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know there is a description in the game somewhere (don't know if it's in a discussion with some character, or description of the weapon itself, or perhaps in some book). It explains that silver weapons are basically silver plated steel. For both effect and for the special quality that silver has upon undead creatures. This is why silver weapons cost so much more, yet do the same amount of damage as their steel counterparts. In other words, you wanna kill an undead, use silver.

Magic works as well though.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:11 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

There is a mod that inserts a useful, condensed version of the Strategy Guide to the Bookseller of Balmora. But, I cannot find it. It was created by shakti.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:15 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

That would be handy Sauron. I had a little trip round town yesterday, (real life town I mean...oh the borders begin to blur) to see if the official Strategy Guide was released at the same time as the game.

I know, I know.... this is the UK.. we don't have things like that straight away! But you never know do you. I DID see a guide to "Freedom Force" and that is not even released yet here.

Anyway, no luck on the guide for Morrowind. So I guess i will have to wait, or Mail order it.

Badger
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:34 am
coil
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

youve only had the game a few days and youre talking about getting a guide... amateur
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:44 pm
simland
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah my metalic challenged friend. I once had your same quandry. However after a little searching I did the obvious. I checked the Morrowind official website. The list of all the metals can be found there. Let's just say anything steel and down won't cut down your tree. (Just like to note I said that without being spoilerish)
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:20 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next