View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
1) Heavy choice chargen. I hate this current trend of no chargen, or choice-light chargen.

Plenty of choices. Have you seen the new screens with a dialogue sequence? Here is the link http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7403

Overall, it's all about choices & consequences, every choice - profession, dialogue line, faction, quests you accept and the ways you handle them - counts.

quote:
2) Gimpable characters. This is one of my favorite, and often overlooked, aspects of older rpgs. This seprates the retards from the normal folk. Gimp should be the price of stupidity and shortsitedness.

I provide the skills and opportunities, it's up to you what to do with them. Some skills and choices make the game easier, some make it harder.

quote:
3) Party control. I loved FO 1 and 2, but it would be nice to have complete control over party members. Preferably making them at start-up. I dont like this single player hippy nonsense. Please make a party game.

Too late for that. Single player hippy nonsense is all we have.

quote:
4) Online MP. MP is for gays, hippies, women, and child molestors. All it does is add to dev time and caters only to gays, hippies, women, and child molestors.

Hmm, so do you want that feature or not? Anyway, we don't have MP.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:09 am
Soothsayer

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
but I guess this is who we have to thank for the current state of the cRPG industry. If you morons wouldnt go out and buy shit maybe developers wouldnt make it.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that to save the CRPG, we have to stop buying them?

Oh god, that's rich. Yeah, that'll save the industry alright.

That is, save it from a long, agonizing death and give it a super-quick one.

You elitists need to get over yourself, or get a shower. Or lose the manboobs.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:18 am

I think it looks much better than the Spiderweb Software games in the graphics department. The interface, and animations both look amazing. And even in the stats and dialogue choices in the pics, and reading alot of the comments on it's forum, it sounds like it could easily top the spiderweb games in the role-playing aspects as well.

So, I'm definately looking forward to it. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:29 am

Even if the game was remotely worth playing, I'd rather douse myself in kerosene and light myself on fire than play a game created by any of the trash-talkers involved with RPGCodex.

Personally, I'd love to see more isometric party-based RPGs. But if the simple minds of RPGCodex had their way, we would have a whole batch of defunct companies like Troika. If I have to play an RPG that isn't exactly what I want in order to keep RPG developers out of the red, so be it.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:42 am

Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Soothsayer
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
but I guess this is who we have to thank for the current state of the cRPG industry. If you morons wouldnt go out and buy shit maybe developers wouldnt make it.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that to save the CRPG, we have to stop buying them?

Whilst I cannot find the original post to put it in context (too many anonyous posters...gaah!), he/she could be meaning "just don't buy the shit ones".
i.e. If we only buy the good ones, then eventually that is all that gets made.
Unfortunately, one man's shite can be another man's treasure...and maybe to the majority of the populous (i.e. the "mainstream" audience) this theory is already fully in effect.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 am

Good luck, Vault Dweller.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:47 am

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by VDweller
quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
1) Heavy choice chargen. I hate this current trend of no chargen, or choice-light chargen.

Plenty of choices. Have you seen the new screens with a dialogue sequence? Here is the link http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7403

Overall, it's all about choices & consequences, every choice - profession, dialogue line, faction, quests you accept and the ways you handle them - counts.

quote:
2) Gimpable characters. This is one of my favorite, and often overlooked, aspects of older rpgs. This seprates the retards from the normal folk. Gimp should be the price of stupidity and shortsitedness.

I provide the skills and opportunities, it's up to you what to do with them. Some skills and choices make the game easier, some make it harder.

quote:
3) Party control. I loved FO 1 and 2, but it would be nice to have complete control over party members. Preferably making them at start-up. I dont like this single player hippy nonsense. Please make a party game.

Too late for that. Single player hippy nonsense is all we have.

quote:
4) Online MP. MP is for gays, hippies, women, and child molestors. All it does is add to dev time and caters only to gays, hippies, women, and child molestors.

Hmm, so do you want that feature or not? Anyway, we don't have MP.

Yeah, I commented on the screens earlier. It seemed to be after chargen, since faction is there and and the log has gameply blurps, like "you have ebtered Maadoran."

But, I was getting at, like Tugor (and the alliegence with rome, or whatever its called) has crap chargen, but char development is okay. Prelude to Darkness has great chargen but development is pretty weak. FO had both strong chargen and chardev. I probably spent more time creating different daggerfall characters than playing daggerfall.

Well, anyway. Game looks great. I can't wait to play it. Any chance of having it distributed by Spiderweb like they did for those out of house games they had on their site (I think they're removed now)? I always figured Tugor and Prelude to Darkness would have done alot better if they went with the main quality shareware rpg site and got more exposure.

I guess I'll let you guys get back to owning at Diablo 2 on Battlenet, and dreaming of the release of Hellgate: London. And thanks for making what looks like the only good rpg in devlopment besides Night Watch.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:10 am
XP

quote:
Originally posted by Shagnak
Dear RPGDot posters,

Please please, please, stop lumping RPGCodex posters together like we are some giant twisted mass of flesh with little arms and legs poking out of it.
We actually DO have different opinions about games - even the Staffers (Sol/Exitium in particular). Some of us have even been known to like games that the majority of opinion (even outside of the codex) says we should not. Well, okay especially me...but Saint has a penchant for Tycoon games, or so I have heard.

I wasn't "lumping" at RPGCodex forum posters, just the staff members.
I don't have a problem with different opinions, just people who congratulate themselves with companies going bankrupt and everyone getting fired, just because their "l33t"...

And just to end this, VDweller, since I really don't have time to waste with pathetic kids like you, you should NOT call retards to everyone (reviewers, developers, ...), just because your vocabulary is quite limited.
So, you can "back it up" that a developer is retarded...
Tell me, how can you back up calling someone a retarded, just because you don't agree with something they've done?

Man, you people are really pathetic...
And you're need to defend yourselves makes you even more pathetic.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:32 am

Re: Introducing Age of Decadence

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
While we're talking about indie games, this might be a good time to introduce 'Age of Decadence', an RPG in development by <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/" target="_blank">RPG Codex</a> staffer Vault Dweller and team. Here's a description:<blockquote><em>Age of Decadence (working title) is an isometric, turn-based fantasy game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic setting. The game features a skill-based system, non-linear gameplay, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and massive dialogue trees.
<br>
<br>The in-game events take place a few hundred years after the fall of an Empire caused by magical destruction and devastation during a war against a rival kingdom. The game is focused on a single character who acquires a map leading to a pre-war temple. The temple used to belong to some deity associated with the war that caused the decline. Whether or not there was an actual deity is unclear as the war was a long time ago and all that's left are legends and ruined cities. The legends say that the war was so terrible that both sides called for some supernatural forces that fought alongside men. Then again, legends always say something like that. What happened next is the part that nobody is sure of.
<br>
<br>The setting is low magic, which means that you won't be able to play as a magician, won't be able to learn and cast magic spells, and won't be able to find a +1 sword, whatever that means. To compensate you for that loss, we offer you a variety of distinctive character builds like assassin and loremaster, and a crafting system that will allow you to upgrade and tinker with your equipment.</em></blockquote>There's no site as yet but head <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=18" target="_blank">here</a> for the official forum, which includes many discussions that helped form the game mechanics. In addition, there's some <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/gallery.php?game=ageofdec" target="_blank">concept art and screens</a>, more screens showing some dialogue <a href="http://img153.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot19sn.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> and finally some rather nice animations <a href="http://img117.imageshack.us/img_viewer.php?loc=img117ℑ=hfwalk19ao.gif&gal=img153/7476/screenshot19sn.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://img153.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot19sn.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>.

After taking a look at the screenshots. no thanks.
Games made by professional rpg companies with real budgets and financing do have a huge advantage over amateur developers in that they can afford to put nice looking games out, which appeal to most people.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:37 am

XP

And you are even more pathetic than I thought.
A friend just made me aware that there's a post in the RPGCodex forum about this thread!

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7555

Wonderful, really, did you tell your moms about it too???

It's very educational: according the the above topic, besides some other things, the people from RPGDot are "fags"!
Retarded, fags, like I said your vocabulary is really wonderful. Do you hate blacks, jews, or it's just gay people?

The internet is a wonderful place, everytime someone doesn't agree that what you do is a precious store, they're all a bunch of retards, and fags! But don't worry, the people from RPGCodex can back up what they say...
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:41 am

XP

quote:
Originally posted by XP
precious store

Of course I meant "precious stone", not really store. Although you should really think about opening one, selling t-shirts with some of your quotes.

I can see it now:

"Bioware games are for retards"
"Troika, no more free rides!"
"RPGdot is a bunch of fags" (this one is an actual quote )
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:45 am

Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey XP, I thought you weren't lumping us all together?

Last edited by Shagnak on Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:48 am
XP

And I wasn't. I just made a little exception...
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:51 am

Shagnak
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well some would say that makes you a bit of a hypocrite.
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:54 am
VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by XP
And just to end this, VDweller, since I really don't have time to waste with pathetic kids like you, you should NOT call retards to everyone (reviewers, developers, ...), just because your vocabulary is quite limited.
So, you can "back it up" that a developer is retarded...
Tell me, how can you back up calling someone a retarded, just because you don't agree with something they've done?

Pathetic kids? Anyway, as far as I know (although I'm sure you know better) I haven't called any developer stupid. Not even DW Bradley after playing DL. Speaking about vocabularies, here is a new fun word for you: fact. Look it up, you'll be surprised.

quote:
And you're need to defend yourselves makes you even more pathetic.

I know, I'm very pathetic. I wish I was cool enough to let you make shit up and agree with everything you say. Oh well...

Part II

quote:
And you are even more pathetic than I thought.

Even MORE? Is it even possible? lol

quote:
A friend just made me aware that there's a post in the RPGCodex forum about this thread!
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7555
Wonderful, really, did you tell your moms about it too???

So? Did you read it? Did you see the quotes? Did you understand that they are kinda stupid? Did you see my reply?

quote:
It's very educational: according the the above topic, besides some other things, the people from RPGDot are "fags"!
Retarded, fags, like I said your vocabulary is really wonderful. Do you hate blacks, jews, or it's just gay people?

Do you have a pathological need to lie or something? Nowhere does it say that people from RPG Dot are "fags".
Post Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:07 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next