amount of characters
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

amount of characters

hey, how many times have you guys made a new character before you finished the main quest? and how many times have you guys actually finished the game with different characters?
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:00 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Three to the first and twice to the second.
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:43 am
Beatcow
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Finally, a thread dedicated to my problem. Ive made 11 new characters. Only 1 made it half-way.( i dont even use him anymore). Just started a Dark Elf Today. NUMBER 12
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:00 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

<--------- is still after getting the game the day it came out, is still searching for the "right character"

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:58 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I've made a lot of screw around characters, but only two serious ones. A High Elven Mage and a Wood Elven Thief. Both are around level 18 or so.....maybe higher. However, I have yet to finish the game. I haven't played it in quite a while....been playin Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Gothic. Oh well, when I get back to my Morrowind adventures I'm sure they'll be just as fun.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:06 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

i generated a lot of character, maybe more 10, without trying to play the game; just want to what the new character could does & what no, peeking on character stats, poking around a bits in game then create another new character.

2-3 character i play seriously:

I played to finish with only one character - Nord.

second character still around lvl 62, just loafing around caldera, drinking & got drunk at tavern & sleeping, & then drink some more to get drunk again.

actually there is third character, around lvl 34 but my game screw up big time & i have to reinstall its - so i loss that character.
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:51 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

hmmm. 8 or 9 maybe? i have yet to crack the main quest - apart from getting the 200 gold right at the start. I've been having a great time exporing, and finding stuff out. my biggest problem is, i can get to level 15-20 in 3-4 hours without cheating. alchemy is too powerful imo. although i do it everytime...
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:32 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

A few, just for research purposes...

This IMHO is the biggest difference between Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights - Morrowind comes with a small instruction booklet and say "go forth and work it out, or just play the game". NWN comes with a Veritable Tome (TM) that describes everything in exquisite detail.

This makes Morrowind great for people who just want to pick up and play, but there are many like me that worry that we're not getting full use out of our characters. I learnt the system first with about 8-10 characters, the most advanced getting to about level 15, the least advanced barely surving the first night

In the end I decided to ignore Magic for the most part (like I do in most games!) and go with a warrior. With a bit of fiddling I found that a male Orc with Endurance as a prime attribute and the sign of The Lady would start the game with 85 Endurance, and that sold me. One false start later (had ALL Agility-based skills as Major/Minor - oops) I had my character sorted. He's now doing well at level 7 having maxed out his Endurance at level 4 and Strength is set to be maxed by level 10. Nice.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenner
my biggest problem is, i can get to level 15-20 in 3-4 hours without cheating. alchemy is too powerful imo. although i do it everytime...

Heh, a couple of my chars had Alchemy as a Major/Minor skill, but I then found out how fun it was. I employed Charlie's First Rule of Morrowind Character Creation, "any skill that you *like* but that isn't *vital* to the character's level advancement should be Misc.". Having never trained it and only getting advancement via reading books and actually *using* the skill, it hit 100 last level! I didn't realise I liked using it *that* much... I can go to Balmora, buy a load of Scales and Kwama Cuttle and mix it all up; ingredients cost me about 1/50th of the sale cost of the potions I create. I've bought myself Grandmaster's Calcinator and Mortar and Pestle, but still have Master's Retort and Alembic (stolen from Caldera...). Any *hints* on the location of the other two pieces of Grandmaster gear much appreciated!
Post Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:00 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

wow!! u guys have a lot of patience to make all those characters. as for me, i have made four total, but stuck only with two characters.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:16 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Any *hints* on the location of the other two pieces of Grandmaster gear much appreciated!

i have yet to find any other than the grandmaster's mortar an pestle. i have only visited a few town. I like alchemy because it allows me to enchant items with 100% success everytime. just don't ever go overboard with alchemy. it takes the fun out of it because you can make potions worth thousands of septims that last for several real time hours. i wanted to make some cash one time, so i upped my intelligence to about 250 thousand, and was making rediculous potions like reflect 1532% for 32141 seconds (not exact numbers but close). they probably should have either capped how much potions can stack, or capped the formula that is used to figure the value of the potions based on int.. in the end, i had to leae the walk on and have him run into a wall for 9 hours for his stats to come back down. that was the last time i did that. it takes the fun out of the game. i don't make potions for money anymore, it is more fun to keep them just for use. i have enough spare int potions to make strong fortify strength and speed potions, which i use to go after creatures i couldn't normally kill.

i started an orc yesterday. a shamanistic warrior. i like enchant. it levels slowly for the most part, even if you have ******* ****, and it is fun enchanting stuff. just don't ever enchant a bow with cast on strike (it doesn't work). the orc has to be my favorite race so far. i used to favor the breton, but since i never really casted much other than hearth heal and the occasional charm spell, i decided to go the alchemy/enchant route.

my orc is level 11 this morning (played most of the night while my wife is away). he has roughly 73 str, 75 int, 50 wil, 35 agi, 63 spd, 100 end, 57 per, and 45 luck. he is also the sign of the lady (not sure if i like the idea of an orc lover but the extra personality is a must). he is becoming a master enchanter. i have recently noticed that the higher your enchant skill, the lower the cost of the enchant. i might have to re make some of my enchantments later on. his prized rings are a weak ring of regeneration(+2 hlth, +4ftg constant), which he uses after a tough battle, and Loki's lucky ring (+24 luck constant), which he uses before entering a dungeon, or opening a chest or in a really tough battle. he has enchanted a bunch of weaker stuff too, like adamantium (officual plugin) jumping boots, and some exquisite tumbling pants (+4 slowfall - just enough to keep you from breaking your legs when you land). when all is said and done, i might start him over with the sign of the warrior, or the sign of the theif. the lady really lowers the challenge early in the game.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:42 pm
3DFanatic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hmmm.... am I really in the minority, as it seems from all the above posts, because I have created exactly 1 character and am still playing through the game?

I took a look at the general descriptions of the different races, skills, and birthsigns then created my character and started to play. To me, it isn't about creating the 'perfect' character. It's about roleplaying using the cards that were dealt to you (or that you picked yourself).

I like carving stuff up with a two-handed sword, so I picked long sword. Later, after I'd mastered that, I discovered axes, then hammers. Now I'm at 100 with all three. My guy isn't too smart, so he doesn't mess too much with magic - but he is curious about it... maybe someday he'll boost his intelligence and learn to make simple potions and such.

Anyway, one character is enough for me. I joined a couple different guilds, I rule House Redoran and the Imperial Knights, and am now working through the main quest.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:14 pm
Vanderghast
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have a few characters on the go. I am taking a liking to my latest character.

I installed the "Vampyre" plugin and started a game with a Vampyre. The daylight walking sworn enemy of the Vampire.

I created a class called Vampyre Knight. He is a knight with destruction magic.

He looks pretty cool at the moment. I killed a guard in Syeeda Neen and am wearing his full set of armor. He looks pretty cool with the guard armor on and his errie white pupiless eyes!

Quote the Gully Dwarf, Nevermore!
Member og the WWW
Member of the Non-Flamers Guild
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:45 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

i created one character (custom Redguard fighter/mage) and played through the complete game.
i have played this kind of character in all Elder Scrolls games before, so no experiments were necessary.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:50 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I've started 5 times now, and I'm planning on starting over again when my new rig shows up later this week. Two of my characters were pretty well throw-aways, but I spent some quality time with a Dark Elf long sword hacker with destruction magic and a Nord long sword/restoration type. The Nord was doing quite well, but I picked "block" as a major skill and then ended up using a 2-handed sword. I've planned a custom Breton mage with long sword skills for my next attempt. I think that one might be good enough to stick with for the entire game.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:09 am
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i hv a male redguard/thief lev 20++. but i've also been trying out other characters as well like breton battlemage and darkelf custom. both female. still undecided yet as to which to stick too.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:42 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next