Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Another newbie spotted ! A few questions.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Another newbie spotted ! A few questions.

Hello, everyone.

I'm playing the game since a few days. It's my firsts Wizardry game, and I begin to love it. It reminds me somehow of the Realms of Arcania series.

My Questions:

The handbook is very detailed, but I don't remember having had an explanation for two numbers:

A) The number standing underneath the life/many/stamina bars. What does it actually represent ?

B) When encountering enemoies, there is a description at the top of the screen: Name and three numbers. What do these numbers mean ?

Thanks in advance.

More questions might follow.

Alrik.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:52 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

A) I believe you're talking about the character's level.

B) Right click on those numbers and it will tell you. From memory, I think it's:
number of monsters in group / total in melee range / total in line of sight
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:42 am
otter
One of Us

6 Diamond Slimes (a b c)

a=how many are active (not KO'd etc)
b=how many your highlighted character can/is affect/ing with the chosen action (in your range)
c=how many of them can affect you if they choose whatever action. (you're in their range)
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:42 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Re: Another newbie spotted ! A few questions.

quote:
Originally posted by Alrik Fassbauer

A) The number standing underneath the life/many/stamina bars. What does it actually represent ?

In fact, it's just your health points
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:22 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

WOW! Where was my brain yesterday? Maybe I ought to stop answering questions until I replay Wiz8 and refresh my memory. Sorry for the misguidance...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:03 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for your answers.

I've got a new one !

I want the party's rogue to change profession - gadgeteer.

Can I change it later back to rogue ?

And will experience points be lost ?

And what's more : How does this change of profession actually work ? I don't quite understand it, apart from the fact that there is a different ( more or less) set of skills ...
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:18 am
otter
One of Us

When you change class, your main level goes up. If you stop being a Rogue, you won't be able to add any more points to Stealth, but your AC will reflect whatever skill you got to. You can always change back at level-up. Class level is a seperate thing from your total level, and you can review your classes by right-clicking on your class in the portrait screen.
Example: a Gad cannot use the X-Ray scanner until Engineering is 45 and Gad level is 8. You don't lose any XP by changing class.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:38 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ah, thanks for enlightening me. Now I understand this thing much better !
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:13 am
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Does there exist any place where I can store items ?
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:44 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Does there exist any place where I can store items ?
All chests - put your items in them and reclose the lid. The bank vaults in Arnika are also safe once you clean them out the first time, as monsters will never spawn there.

The manual suggests that if you just drop items on the road or floor, monsters may come by and pick them up. However, I have never seen this actually occur. Try at your own risk. Major quest items can't be dropped, however, except into chests.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:06 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ah, good. thanks.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:39 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
WOW! Where was my brain yesterday? Maybe I ought to stop answering questions until I replay Wiz8 and refresh my memory. Sorry for the misguidance...

I know how you feel, Dteowner. You may be on the podium for game re-starts but I've got the gold for the most misinformed foul ups.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:43 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

By the way : Do merchants restock ?

I've run out of resurrection powder (although I rarely used it in the last time), and cure poison potions are getting low, too.

There are two odd things I noticed :

- Look at the animation of a monster "dying". I mean the "explosive" animation of bigger monsters.

The last, falling piece of "flesh" looks like a chipmunk's head ... At least it seems to me that way.

- There is a house within Trynton. Before its Entrance there is a kind of greenish stone, podest or whatever it might be. The house opens seemingly only after combining one item with that podest (but I haven't found this particular item yet).

However, the carvings around this "stone" are faces - they look like the style of a drawer in the (infamous ? ) MAD magazine.
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:41 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes the merchants restock. They have a certain amount of maximum inventory slots, so if they are full they will keep the same things for sale.

they fill their empty slots with random stuff ( of what they sell)

One thing to do is to buy all their bundles of 10 arrows and then just sell them back as one bundle of 200 arrows so more random stuff will appear when they restock
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:18 am
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
By the way : Do merchants restock ?

I've run out of resurrection powder (although I rarely used it in the last time), and cure poison potions are getting low, too.

I had a HUGE problem with death the first few, or dozen, times I played. After a while I would just reload before the battle I got slaughtered in. (Thanks to the advice of the folks in this website, I see death far less often now a days). Though if you don't know it yet, a Priest can learn the Resurrection spell at around level 14. And because she is the only healer who can learn the awesome Rest All spell, I have never once set up a team without a Priest.
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:19 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next