Ultima - all games online?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Ultima - all games online?

The Ultima series seems to be hugely popular and I'm thinking about trying one or two out, but here's the rub - aren't they all online MMORPGs? If not, any suggestions which one I should start with? I presume I'm not going to get "Start at number 1, you'll miss the guts of the story otherwise" IS there a story that prgresses all the way thru the Ultima series?
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:17 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

No, the series existed before MMORPGs did.
There are 9 single player games. 10 if you don't count Serpent Isle as an add-on.
Only one is 3D, the rest are isometric top-down view.
If you don't mind old graphics then I'd say start with Ultima 4. But if graphics are more important to you, then start with Ultima 7 (argueably the best one made).
The manuals are pretty good at bringing you up to speed on what happened before.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:16 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

My favorate game of all time is Ultima Underworld, if you are going to play an Ultima game, dont pass it up. I own all the others, but have never played them much. Judging by how many folks call an Ultima title their favorate or one of thier favorates, they cant be a miss to try. I was able to get all of them except U9 and the two Ultima Underworlds on one cd a few years ago (The Ultima Collection, EA Software), might be worth looking for one of these.
Good luck, and post back if you have problem getting them going, they can be difficult, but there are ways to get them going.
LB
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:47 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Ok. Thanx for that. There're a couple of Ultima Gold for sale on eBay at the mo. I'll grab one of those.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:15 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I used moslo to slow down my machine, but even moslo at 1% is way too fast for my monster pc, so i had to resort to an older computer at 5% and those old SSI games and Ultimas ran decently. Moslo is a program that slows down your computer, btw.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:54 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

OOhh, Ok. Are some of them that old? I have 2 PC's so it sholdn't be a problem; my big gamer with AMD Athlon xp 2000 etc, win ME, and my little Pentium II, 166, win 95. I hope I've put the right things here, lol, I'm not a techie, but I know that I'm able to play just about any game going on one or other PC.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:02 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Oohh Ok, Are some of them that old. Never mind, I should be able to run them all then - no matter which one I choose, coz I have 2 PCs; my big gamer AMD Athlon xp 2000, win ME and my little pentium II, 166, win 95 - I hope I've written these correctly, I'm no techie, lol.
I seem to be inundated with gaming machines when I think about it, I still have my old Amiga 500 with lots of old RPGs; Elvira, Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and the like, I have a PS2 - all I need is an xBox and Game Cube (which I did have, but sold) to complete the set, lol.
Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:09 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The copy of the Ultimas I got had Moslo with it. I see to recall getting to work on my P 166 laptop.
LB
Post Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:53 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

All of the ultima games through 8 are legitimate abandonware, released by the publisher.

Both ultima underworlds as well

There are specific programs you need to run ultima 7 in windows. you should find them where you find it on the net.

Do a search on abonware and one of those sites has them. Not direct linking because... sometimes they are not 100% legal.

I remember they have wizardrys through 6 also. Realms of arkania. Lots of good stuff.
Post Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:14 am
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

There's an Ulitma Collection set that's still out I think that has 10 of the series games up to Ultima VIII. I know I've seen it on Amazon before. I haven't gotten it since I already have most of em, but it seems like a good package if you want to get back into the series. There's also UXO to look forward to as far as continuity of some of the storylines from the RPG games.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:01 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

you can find a great program to run ultima 7 and serpent isle here at http://exult.sourceforge.net/

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:24 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I know this is an old topic, but there is no need to open a new thread just for my sake...

I want to try Ultima!

As short as that... So, I shall start with the seventh sequel, as suggested. But, I would still like to know which of them is 3D, as somebody mentioned it. I would also like to know, which would you designate as a representative part of the series - the one sequel I should not miss? Though, I'm not looking for an mmorpg...

Also, if it is not much of a brag, can somebody tell me something about the unofficial Ultima games?
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:38 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I think it is Ultima IX - Ascension
Btw, wasn't there a project that was making Ultima I with the engine of the IX?
I also think there were a couple of projects of remaking several Ultimas with more up-to-date 3D-engines, I particularly remmeber Ultima VI : Lazarus, a Dungeon Siege Mod, reviving the original Ultima VI
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:13 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Have a look at UltimaDot. Parcival has put a lot of effort into covering every Ultima you can imagine. Down the left-hand menu there's a section for the official Ultimas, remakes and spin-offs.

I think Lazarus is Ultima V - Ultima VI goes by the creative name of the 'Ultima VI Project'.
Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:12 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ultima IX is the 3D Ultima.
Lazarus is the Ultima V remake.

Ones not to miss? Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle. If you can stand poorer graphics, then Ultima IV, V, and VI are also great parts of the story.

There's a compilation CD available with all, but Ultima IX, on it.

EDIT: I just noticed your new sig HWFanatiC, I like it!
Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next