Another question... instant kills with a Ninja
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Another question... instant kills with a Ninja

Hello again. I have another question, this time about ninja instant kills.

I don't recall exactly where, but I read on some Wizardry website that instant kills can be effected by your level. If your level is higher than the opponent level, you have a higher chance of an instant kill. So, if I create a ninja, level him up a little bit, then switch his class, will the instant kill calculation use just the ninja level, or the total level?

Basically what I'm trying to do is create an uber-character. (Yes, I'm a powergamer. So sue me. ) I decided to to create a ninja and power-train as many of his skills as I could, trying to get Critical Hit, Martial Arts, Stealth and Locks & Traps all up to 100 as quickly as possible. Then I would class-switch him to Bishop, level up a bit, and end up with a character skilled in combat, stealth, thievery and magic.

I'm just trying to figure out how good a chance this character would have of scoring instant kills. They don't actually come up very often, so it's difficult to figure out the answer by experimenting. I'm hoping someone here might know how the game does the calculations.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:24 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Back when the game was first released, many people tried to sweet-talk Linda and Alex and Charles and Brenda into detailing some of the combat calculations. They refused to give more than general responses. I must admit I've never heard of character level having any effect on criticals, though (beyond higher level chars having better skill stats).

As I understand it (and don't forget that I'm basing this on what I've seen and what I've heard and some tests a couple powergamers did a long time ago...certainly not what I'd call definitive sources), a ninja's crits will be based on only a few factors. After you roll a hit, your weapon's "insta-kill" is rolled first, seperate from the character's "insta-kill". The character's chances are controlled mostly by the critical strike stat, modified slightly by the ranged combat stat and the thrown/sling stat. That's it. Ability scores and level only figure into whether you hit in the first place, not whether it's a critical. I know ninjas get crits on thrown weapons, but can't remember for certain whether they get them in melee as well. I'm at work, so I can't check my manual. If so, substitute the relevant skills for ranged and thrown/sling.

Where people really pulled their hair out was dual weapon combat. Nobody could get a good read on the relative importance of the dual skill versus close combat versus weapon skill. That was just to see if you'd hit. Factoring criticals on top of dual weapons (which would be a legit concern for a samurai in particular) was more than anyone could figure.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:44 pm
Arundor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Okay, thanks for the info.

Since it seems no one really knows for sure, I'll post back here if I manage to figure out anything definitive.
Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:25 pm