So far a great game...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

So far a great game...

I am just loving this game! After 15 hours of playing time I find it getting more and more addictive. The moral choices abound. eg:

I am playing with the goal of being as goodie two shoes a Jedi as possible, so faced with the bounty on the Sand People I figured there has to be a better way. My son, in the meantime, is busy telling me there are no darkside points gained for slaughtering them all, but even if there is no pay off for not killing them all I don't have a choice! I was a tad distrubed that there was no other way out of the city than accepting the roll as bounty hunter, but I could find no other way out (was I too impatient here? Spoil me if there was another way).

I have yet to fetch the dragon pearl for the chief (is that what he calls himself?), so there might be a long term pay off ... but so what! I managed to save them from destruction, and might get a good story from their historian to boot.

It is not perfect (the bounty issue and some of the dialog choice are silly), but it is up there with the earlier Ultima's when it comes to role play. Not to mention it is Star Wars *grin*
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:00 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

This game is just too superb! The characters are mindblowing with their own unique attitude, the graphics are so sweet and it is old PC friendly too, loading times are fantastic, I can't even jump 5 times into the air until the loading is done, the combat is totally cool too, I like the pausing capabilty tough I think the game should've had more of those options, how many times I can do rapid fire.

I think this game will be my favorite game.

EDIT: Also, is there any quick way to choose weapons from melee to ranged or the other way around?
M essages
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:36 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The sandpeople gave me so much grief because the quest broke three times... they kept being aggressive even when I had done everything correctly. I got it, though, and it was a lot of fun dialogue. I believe I still decided to slaughter the village because of somethng the chieftain said, though... can't recall right now.

The game is great... I really enjoyed it both times through.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:33 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Re: So far a great game...

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
I have yet to fetch the dragon pearl for the chief (is that what he calls himself?), so there might be a long term pay off ... but so what! I managed to save them from destruction, and might get a good story from their historian to boot.

Or, you can save the game before hand, hear the story, reload the save game, then apply the pearl to your lightsaber in the position of being one of the best additions ever.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:02 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
.... I believe I still decided to slaughter the village because of somethng the chieftain said, though... can't recall right now.

I can see you doing that. Especially with that bot AK 47 ... er ... HK 47 pushing for a Mei Lei (or however it's spelled) type event. I was sorely tempted a number of times todate as well. The Sandpeople are just so blasted touchy about everything...but then that is just another example of the quality of the game. It cost me some effort to stay on the path of light!!
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:16 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That WAS my paragon of virtue.

My Sith didn't hesitate and used Force Lightning to raze the entire colony to the ground... except the chieftain, who got Choke/Killed instead. Then I Choke/Killed Mission's brother and told her he wasn't in the colony.

Then I burned the Jawas to a crisp with a flamethrower from HK.

You wouldn't believe the evil things I did during the game dialogues with Dominate Mind...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:00 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Anyone can answer my question like is there a quicker way to change melee weapons from ranged weapons or other way than going into your equipment mode and selecting the weapons manually...
M essages
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:29 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ah. That makes even more sense.

I hope I have the time to try this from the dark side, there have been quite a number of dialog options that I would just *love* to try (mostly along the "Shadap kid, you bother me" and "You bore me, I think I'll kill you now" lines).

quote:
Originally posted by sushimees
Anyone can answer my question like is there a quicker way to change melee weapons from ranged weapons or other way than going into your equipment mode and selecting the weapons manually...

Sorry, didn't see this before (you posted while I was typing) ... I don't believe there is. I could be very wrong, but I did not catch anything in the rules ... of course this might've been addressed in a patch, but I can not access that patches through my firewall here at work so I running the game in v1.0 mode.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:33 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There is no shortcut to quickly switch weapon types.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:43 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ah darn, nevermind then, I just got my own lightsaber and I'm using it currently tough my character gets more damage than he used to since I always used to use two blasters.
M essages
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:58 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

For maximum damage output use a double saber or two lightsabers. The double saber does more but the two sabers look cool and can have four different crystals instead of two. If you already have the feats for dual wielding because you used to use two blasters you've got no reason not to... in fact it's a waste if you don't because you'll have wasted the dual weapon feats.

Lightsabers use strength or dexterity to attack, whichever is higher, so again ... coming from dual blaster wielding your dexterity is probably pretty high so you have an advantage.

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:43 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well I think 2 sabers at the same time look kinda bland.. Since basically I only do sommersaults on my enemies and when I kinda use the force, it's like to meant to use it with your hand with fingers wide open not strangling the saber. Take an example of jedi academy, you can't use force if you got 2 sabers equipped.
M essages
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:49 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I have found that I do somersaults when power attacking ... also I've never had a problem using force powers with two LS equipped.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:58 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I think he meant that he only power attacks (sensible if your attack is high) so he only sees sommersaults so the 'cool' factor of two sabers is diminished.

I've never understood why using the Force requires hand movements at all... in fact, I'm pretty sure it doesn't it's just that Jedi use the motion to focus. Plus, it looks cool.

Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Turn doing Flurry with two sabers. It makes things dead.
Post Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:35 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next